Cheapest grain free foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Lisalrenee
Adolescent Bully

Cheapest grain free foods

Postby Lisalrenee » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:19 pm

In the last 6 weeks, I've lost my job, luckily found a new one, but in this new position am taking about a 30% pay cut. I was teacher to begin with, so wasn't exactly rolling in the $$$.

I've been feeding Taste of the Wild for sometime, mostly for health reasons (not out of necessity), but in August we added a puppy to the family who came from the shelter with a hot mess of skin ailments that all cleared up pretty well on Taste of the Wild, and I'm hesitant to change foods to a cheaper, grain-based food and have her skin go all wonky - I could be off and just paranoid, but I hate to chance it, as the vet warned back in the summer when first meeting Maizey that skin issues might plague her, and so far we've kept them at bay.

So - given that I'm taking a pay cut, and currently paying about $100 a month to feed Taste of the Wild, is there any other grain-free food that is more cost effective? I feed about 70 lbs a month. I've looked around online, and so far haven't found a cheaper food of this caliber, but thought I'd ask the experts. If not, we'll just have to find someplace else to make cuts!

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Re: Cheapest grain free foods

Postby KadillacGrrl » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:22 pm

If you have access to Costco, they're carrying Nature's Domain fish and sweet potato. I've been using it for a couple of months now. $27.95 for 35 lbs.

Melody
Forum Junky

Postby Melody » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:41 pm

My Costco only carries Kirlkland Signature, which I switch my dogs to over the summer. They are going surprisingly well! I pay $23/40 lbs.

Lisalrenee
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lisalrenee » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:42 pm

i don't, but that's a really good price - almost $20 and 5 lbs more than TOTW. Might have to check around w/ friends. Thanks!

LifeisthePits
Newborn Bully

Postby LifeisthePits » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:52 pm

Not that I am an expert by ANY means as I am still formulating it, but I am about to go raw for Gigi. Doing a quick cost analysis on it so far (avoiding extremely expensive items such as bison, pheasant, etc) has yielded me a cost savings of more that 60% off the cost of feeding her kibble (Chicken Soup for the Puppy's Soul - @ $25-30/25# bag).
Just a thought.

Jack

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:31 am

SugarFox03 wrote:My Costco only carries Kirlkland Signature, which I switch my dogs to over the summer. They are going surprisingly well! I pay $23/40 lbs.

We don't have the grain free food at our Costo but all the dogs here including our own and foster dogs are on the Kirkland Signature.
Often the grains aren't as much of an issue as the protein source.
Our allergic two are on Natural Balance (it is also grain free) Venison/sweet potato.
They seem to be allergic to chicken, hence the Kirkland wasn't the best choice for them, but all the rest get it and are doing great.

Return to “Health Issues”