Feeding Kibble and Cooked?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Feeding Kibble and Cooked?

Postby pitbulliest » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:53 pm

I know that feeding raw and kibble is a no no, but how about feeding kibble and cooked food at the same time? And how about feeding raw and cooked food? (by cooked I mean cooked/boiled meat and/or vegetables)...

Nikki89
Adolescent Bully

Re: Feeding Kibble and Cooked?

Postby Nikki89 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:54 pm

Exactly what im wondering

pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbulliest » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:19 pm

pitbulliest wrote:I know that feeding raw and kibble is a no no, but how about feeding kibble and cooked food at the same time? And how about feeding raw and cooked food? (by cooked I mean cooked/boiled meat and/or vegetables)...

Yeah I just realized I frequently supplement my dogs kibble with some other yummies, like boiled chicken or even mashed potatoes...if that's bad for some reason, then uh oh...

pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbulliest » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:20 pm

Wow, I just quoted myself....anyways.... :oops:

Nikki89
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nikki89 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:10 pm

haha Yeah mine get boiled chicken and white rice boiled pork white rice ground beef white rice and steak and white rice normally some veggies to

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:51 pm

To this day I still don't understand why all the worry about feeding raw and kibble together. Protein, carbohydrates and fats do not digest at the same rate, and the digestive system is designed to cope with this. Protein is still protein, cooked or raw, the same amino acids are stil broken down by the same enzymes etc. Its all a bunch of hype if you ask me.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:22 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:To this day I still don't understand why all the worry about feeding raw and kibble together. Protein, carbohydrates and fats do not digest at the same rate, and the digestive system is designed to cope with this. Protein is still protein, cooked or raw, the same amino acids are stil broken down by the same enzymes etc. Its all a bunch of hype if you ask me.

I'm so glad you said that! My husband (he's a scientist and doesn't believe anything unless he sees it for himself) and I have an ongoing discussion on this. We think it is the same as when you are back packing and eat a candy bar: the nuts take the longest to digest and provide energy later, the chocolate is next and the nougat is first to break down for instant sugar energy.... It all good but used up at different rates. That said, I've been brainwashed not to mix them...

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:12 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:To this day I still don't understand why all the worry about feeding raw and kibble together. Protein, carbohydrates and fats do not digest at the same rate, and the digestive system is designed to cope with this. Protein is still protein, cooked or raw, the same amino acids are stil broken down by the same enzymes etc. Its all a bunch of hype if you ask me.

yup exactly my thoughts, we feed raw and kibble together all of the time and never have any problems.

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:46 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:

I'm so glad you said that! My husband (he's a scientist and doesn't believe anything unless he sees it for himself) and I have an ongoing discussion on this. We think it is the same as when you are back packing and eat a candy bar: the nuts take the longest to digest and provide energy later, the chocolate is next and the nougat is first to break down for instant sugar energy.... It all good but used up at different rates. That said, I've been brainwashed not to mix them...

Me too, but I tried it myself (I was feeding both before weaning to a completely raw diet) and my dog didn't suddenly implode, mutate, or even suffer from a bout of digestive upset (Which I heard was what generally happens).

I don't think there is any reason to feed both, as long as the kibble is a quality one and the raw diet is balanced and complete. But I suspect that it won't hurt most dogs if that is what gives the owner peace of mind.

pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbulliest » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:42 pm

Well that in that case, I guess the answer seems to be that its no big deal :)

Meaghan Edwards
Addicted to PBF

Postby Meaghan Edwards » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:48 pm

I give my two raw meaty bones and Orijen, and they're still alive and kicking :)

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:51 pm

I dunno, I was on a raw foods diet and when I would eat raw and cooked together it would give me a bellyache. Cooking does change the structure of the food.

I don't remember ever having that happen when I was on a mostly cooked food diet. It goes away after awhile - so, maybe it's just what your body is used to.

If you've been feeding a completely raw diet and then feed the dog some kibble mixed in, it might bother them. It might just be on an individual basis too :)

Kibble is cooked, so it shouldn't matter if you feed other cooked food with it.

Return to “Health Issues”