dog wretching?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
sparky38351
Newborn Bully

dog wretching?

Postby sparky38351 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:46 am

My female started doing this late Saturday night. Ever since we have had her she has had an occassional cough. She has had her vaccines and been checked out by a vet back in January when we got her.

The wretching got horrible Saturday though, almost every few minutes. She was bringing up phlegm, but that stopped. Originally I was freaking out because the phlegm was red and I thought it was blood, but the hubby pointed out that we were giving her new treats that were colored bright red and that could have been the color (or maybe even the reason she was sick.)

The wretching has almost quit, with her only doing it a few times a day now. But what could this be? I hate seeing her miserable, but we can't get her to the vet until Tuesday! I have an appointment to have her spayed later this week, but can she still have surgery if she has something like Kennel cough or a cold?

Is there anything else this could possibly be? Thanks in advance for all replies! :sad:

msvette2u

Re: dog wretching?

Postby msvette2u » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:49 am

She could have kennel cough, or something stuck in her throat, what kind of treats did you give her?
What does she normally get to chew on?
How old is she?

sparky38351
Newborn Bully

Postby sparky38351 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:05 pm

She is 2 years old and otherwise seems fine. She usually gets little dog treats made by Milkbone or Retriever (she likes them best). This time around we got the big ol bargain bag at walmart of the Ol Roy Multi-flavor bones and Beef Bones. She doesn't have anything lodged that I can see. She sometimes chews on a large Nylabone or a big Kong, but only when my male dog will share (which isn't much!).

RoxieRules
Newborn Bully

Postby RoxieRules » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:06 pm

I would absolutely have your vet check her out. Always better to be safe then sorry.

GOod luck!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:28 pm

x2, a vet check...it could even be heartworm although I haven't personally experienced it, I understand they can cough with that situation.

sparky38351
Newborn Bully

Postby sparky38351 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:01 pm

I don't belive it is heartworm as she has been treated and is on preventive treatment. What could possibly cause Kennel cough?

I plan on taking her to the vet tomorrow to be checked out. I hate when my babies are sick! :sad:

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:13 pm

sparky38351 wrote:This time around we got the big ol bargain bag at walmart of the Ol Roy Multi-flavor bones and Beef Bones.

Those are very low quality treats and it could be she is allergic to something in them.

Read the ingredients, they are full of wheat and fillers. You might want to return the remainder of the bag to Wal Mart and exchange it for a better quality dog treat.

Can't hurt to have the vet check her over, but I'd guess it is the new treats. And that red dye is nasty, it makes a heck of a stain...

Return to “Health Issues”