Should I call the vet? What is this?! PICS

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Should I call the vet? What is this?! PICS

Postby brunomom » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:46 pm

Let me start by saying that Bruno obviously has had skin issues with both types of mange and the irritation of the embedded collar. But that is healing very nicely, the mange is all cleared up. So last week I noticed that he had "bumps" on his back. The were bumps at the skin that were pushing the hair up in little tufts. If I separate the tufts that stick up funny, I find a bump (not red) but with crusty, dry flaky skin on it. Almost like a scab. I would say there are easily 20-30 of these little spots all over his back and hip area. I have been keeping an eye on them and trying to decidd if I should worry about them or not.

Fast forward to tonight. I picked him up in a cradle position to wrestle him and saw that his belly/groin area is all broken out in many bumps that are raised and bright red. These were not there yesterday. I found a couple of the flaky spots around the edges of his belly...a bit further into the fur.

As for diet/exposure...nothing has changed. He is fed kibble: Nature's Choice Lamb, chicken and rice. He gets a daily supplement of fish oil and vitamin E . No other meds and nothing else has changed.

So here we go....I did my best on photos. Oh and sorry for the doggie crotch shots. Obviously I couldn't show you without getting his manhood in the pic. I am sure you can all handle it though. LOL

This is a photo of a dry flaky spot (all over his back too)

AmberS
Newborn Bully

Re: Should I call the vet? What is this?! PICS

Postby AmberS » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:52 pm

eek. that doesnt look good (although im not very educated on the subject).

id say id get him to the vet as soon as you can.

hopefully someone has some idea of whats going on and can help.

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Looks more like a rash than bites :huh?:
Def. give him some benadryl- see if they go away
My dog Dozer gets bumps/hives but hardly ever on his tum.

Dozer gets spring/summer hives
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=122213&p=1656836&hilit=hives#p1656836
And so does miss Veronica =[
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=123657&p=1657360&hilit=hives#p1657360

Have you changed detergents/dog shampoo ? Used carpet cleaners?

Anything different? Any new grass coming up that he is laying on?

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:01 pm

tia_leigha wrote:Looks more like a rash than bites :huh?:
Def. give him some benadryl- see if they go away
My dog Dozer gets bumps/hives but hardly ever on his tum.

Dozer gets spring/summer hives
http://pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f ... s#p1656836
And so does miss Veronica =[
http://pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f ... s#p1657360

Have you changed detergents/dog shampoo ? Used carpet cleaners?

Anything different? Any new grass coming up that he is laying on
?

No change on shampoo. Yes, I cleaned carpets about 2-3 weeks ago but I would think that would have occurred sooner. Only other thing I can think of is that I Febreezed the couch and chair the other day. Otherwise everything else would have to be outside but we are covered in snow. Hmmmmmm.....I am stumped.

I will give him some benadryl to see what happens. Anyone know the dosage?

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:03 pm

OH! That photo of Veronica is similar to Bruno's back only not as bad. Interesting. I was wondering if maybe it was allergies of some sort.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:35 pm

My guess would be a staph infection. I'd take him to a vet, if so, he'll likely need a round of antibiotics and a medicated shampoo.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:37 pm

Sarah wrote:My guess would be a staph infection. I'd take him to a vet, if so, he'll likely need a round of antibiotics and a medicated shampoo.

Yup, what she said...

Your dog has a Cephalexin deficiency :D

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:08 pm

Thanks guys! I have cephalexin already but I am going to take him in tomorrow morning (hopefully). He has been on that med since October I believe and we have been off it for about a month now....but looks like he might still need it.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:32 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Sarah wrote:My guess would be a staph infection. I'd take him to a vet, if so, he'll likely need a round of antibiotics and a medicated shampoo.

Yup, what she said...

Your dog has a Cephalexin deficiency :D

roflmao

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:18 am

def. looks like a staph infection, vet trip is in order, poor kid...JD just got over one

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:43 am

I am taking him in about an hour. He was in the perfect position this morning to see the spots on his back. I'd say he has about 15-20 more of those randomly all over his back, sides, legs, neck and head. It's so STRANGE!

wuzzles8
Newborn Bully

Postby wuzzles8 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:04 am

First of all, I would definitely have the vet do a skin scrape. They can place it under the microscope and look to see if it is indeed a staph infection or some other type of bacterial infection. It could be a secondary infection that Bruno is suffering from due to the other issues the poor boy has had. There is a possibility, though probaly small, that Bruno may have mange once again. With the skin scrap, the vet should be able to see if there are any creepy-crawlies on his skin.

Another option is a form of contact dermatitis (allergic or irritant). He could be having an allergic reaction to something that has never bothered him before. It does happen. It really sounds like a flea allergy dermatitis, but this time of year, I am not sure that what be it. Bruno could also have urticaria (aka-hives) due to an allergic reaction to meds he may have been give to heal up his neck wound and/or mange, or to something unrelated. Hives cause the hair to stand up in the area of the hive, kind of like what you described.

If you touch a bump on his back, does it feel hard or is it soft and "squishy" like a blister? Does it look like any of the bumps are draining, or just all dry with the flaky skin? It could be canine acne, though that is usually seen in younger dogs, accompanied by a secondary bacterial infection.

I am leaning towards some type of dermatitis (flea allergy, pelodera, irritant, contact, etc.). Definitely deserves a vet visit to rule out anything major.

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:29 am

Ok, we are back. It's the start of a staph infection. So back onto the Cephalexin we go. Also, I got 50 mg of benadryl for him. The vet mentioned that as the bacteria grows and spreads, it starts with the one bump, spreads out and each bump flakes up and looks to "resolve" when in reality it is just spreading. Which makes sense for all the randomness to the bald circles all over. Thank goodness the cephalexin is FREE!

In addition, I had noticed some icky gunk between his toes and his nails turning a red/brown color. He checked that along with his ears which are inflammed as well. Again, the toe issue from licking from itching.

So overall, I have a dog that has obviously sensitive skin but my vet was a little concerned that his immune system is weakened allowing all these normal organisms to take advantage and become an issue. HE also feels that we'll be fighitng allergies pretty hard once spring/summer hits. He was super happy today though that it wasn't mange. He said he saw Bruno's name on the schedule with "rash" and immediately was thinking: OH NO.

I guess I need to do some educating of myself on allergies, overall skin issues and be ready to help him the best way I can. He was happy with his diet, said it was ok to add some cottage cheese for extra protein, boiled chicken was fine. Wanted me to back off any treats and just use kibble for training.

My poor guy. He is nothing but patient, rarely complains and just is happy to be loved and taken care of. I love him sooooooooooo much. I feel like I found him because he needed someone to love him enough to take care of him and his needs. :inlove:

wuzzles8
Newborn Bully

Postby wuzzles8 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:36 am

Glad to hear that it is just a staph infection! That makes things a bit easier for you.

Hopefully the Benadryl will work wonders for his body. Kayla had issues after we adopted her, and after several rounds of corticosteriods, we moved on to Benadryl and it is WONDERFUL! We are off of it now, but spring is just around the corner so who knows when we will get back on it.

Glad to hear that Bruno doesn't have anything major! WHOO HOOO!!! :peace:

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:39 am

wuzzles8 wrote:Glad to hear that it is just a staph infection! That makes things a bit easier for you.

Hopefully the Benadryl will work wonders for his body. Kayla had issues after we adopted her, and after several rounds of corticosteriods, we moved on to Benadryl and it is WONDERFUL! We are off of it now, but spring is just around the corner so who knows when we will get back on it.

Glad to hear that Bruno doesn't have anything major! WHOO HOOO!!! :peace:

Will this dosage make him really tired? The vet didn't really say what to expect.

Return to “Health Issues”