Should I call the vet? What is this?! PICS

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Re: Should I call the vet? What is this?! PICS

Postby tia_leigha » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:17 pm

Yea he will be a doggy zombie, but not itching or uncomfy
Ever take benadryl? Puts me in a coma. lol

Some people/ some dogs it doesnt though ;)

wuzzles8
Newborn Bully

Postby wuzzles8 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:20 pm

tia_leigha wrote:Yea he will be a doggy zombie, but not itching or uncomfy
Ever take benadryl? Puts me in a coma. lol

Some people/ some dogs it doesnt though ;)

LOL at doggie zombie! Kayla has done great with taking Benadryl, and she was taking 2 a day. Some dogs that we see at our vet do become walking zombies. I have to say it is kind of funny watching them!

As for me and Benadryl, that is how I go to sleep at night. Cheap sleep meds! Ha ha! I took two today as my allergies have been bugging me, and I am about to pass out at my desk. Maybe if I do, I can go home.

pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitsnok » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:41 pm

Will this dosage make him really tired? The vet didn't really say what to expect.

It seems to me that it affects everyone differently. Harlow takes 25 mg when we give it to her. Our vet wanted us giving it to her twice a day, but I don't like her to be on it all the time, so we just do it whenever she is hivey, or extra pink. She does get lethargic when she takes it. When Degan takes it he gets 50 mg and it doesn't seem to affect him much. Sometimes he calms down, sometimes he gets super ornery. (I think that is like a toddler, you know... they get tired, so they get extra energetic in an effort to not fall asleep). Chances are Bruno will be a zombie at first, but then will probably get used to it after a while, and it won't knock him out anymore.

Glad to hear it isn't anything too serious!

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:57 pm

brunomom wrote:Ok, we are back. It's the start of a staph infection. So back onto the Cephalexin we go.

:dance: I called it. I'm so good. roflmao

You should look into the possibility of homeopathic remedies to support his immune system. Also, if he's not already being supplemented with fish oil, I would recommend it.

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:08 pm

Sarah wrote:
brunomom wrote:Ok, we are back. It's the start of a staph infection. So back onto the Cephalexin we go.

:dance: I called it. I'm so good. roflmao

You should look into the possibility of homeopathic remedies to support his immune system. Also, if he's not already being supplemented with fish oil, I would recommend it.

I asked the vet but I am guessing he was not thinking of homeopathic type things to boost his immunity. I totally want to do something about that because he is just too prone to get all sorts of issues because of it. And yep, I have him on fish oil and vitamin E daily (someone shared with me that fish oil only stips them of the vitamin E they have so it's best to give both....but I wasn't sure so I figured why not).

:bowdown: And yes, I was thinking of you on the drive home going: she is soooo good. LOL :clap

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:12 am

Jd gets 50 mgs of benadryl twice a day, and he hasn't gotten drowsy one bit lol...I am hoping to get him off of it soon since his new food seems to be making his skin better...so glad to hear it wasn't anything more serious :)

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:42 am

Yes you need to do the vitamin E with the fish oil. How much are you using of both?

Benadryl doesn't make Khan tired at all, but I have found it doesn't really help too much with his allergies. There are other medications you can use if the benadryl doesn't help. We used claritin with his last flair up, but I wasn't overly impressed with that wither. Summer will be the trues test. I have Allegra prescribed for me and my vet gave me the correct dose for Khan, so that is what I will be trying next.

Have fun searching and reading the many, many, many allergy thread roflmao

I have got into a pretty good system after trying multiple things for Khan's allergies, but he still has flair ups here and there. it is a ton of trial and error that's for sure.

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:20 am

FBODGRL wrote:Yes you need to do the vitamin E with the fish oil. How much are you using of both?

Benadryl doesn't make Khan tired at all, but I have found it doesn't really help too much with his allergies. There are other medications you can use if the benadryl doesn't help. We used claritin with his last flair up, but I wasn't overly impressed with that wither. Summer will be the trues test. I have Allegra prescribed for me and my vet gave me the correct dose for Khan, so that is what I will be trying next.

I have got into a pretty good system after trying multiple things for Khan's allergies, but he still has flair ups here and there. it is a ton of trial and error that's for sure.

1000 mg fish oil and 400 IU vitamin E - daily

Is that ok?

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:08 am

Let me see if I can find the link for the proper dose. I have it saved at home, but I am at work right now.

My Khan is 50-55 lbs depending on season (he carries a little winter weight lol )

I know I only give him 200 iu of vitamin E a day

and I believe 3000-4000mg of Salmon oil a day.

I know there is a little controversy on dosage, but they are generally in the same area.

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:05 am

I'm glad you took him in!

I posted a few months ago about Peanut's weird lumps

Turned out to be staph infection too. And after I posted that, she got the red spots just like your pup in the same places on her belly/ groin area! Back to the vet where we found out it was another staph infection along with an ear infection.

4 vet visits in a month.

OK here's the odd thing. Right before she got skunked we changed her food from Blue Buffalo Organic to Castor and Pollux Organix. Her 2 staph infections and ear infection came within a couple of weeks of getting the new food. The doc noticed that her fur was real dry and suggested fish pills.

We changed her back to her Blue Buffalo and within 2 weeks her fur was shiny and normal and no more skin problems... and no fish pills.

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:20 am

Shoshana wrote:I'm glad you took him in!

Turned out to be staph infection too. And after I posted that, she got the red spots just like your pup in the same places on her belly/ groin area! Back to the vet where we found out it was another staph infection along with an ear infection.

4 vet visits in a month.

OK here's the odd thing. Right before she got skunked we changed her food from Blue Buffalo Organic to Castor and Pollux Organix. Her 2 staph infections and ear infection came within a couple of weeks of getting the new food. The doc noticed that her fur was real dry and suggested fish pills.

We changed her back to her Blue Buffalo and within 2 weeks her fur was shiny and normal and no more skin problems... and no fish pills.

Staph infections happen in areas with open wounds, so if the food was making her skin dry and itchy and she was scratching it, and wound up with open wounds...there ya go. Thats basically what happened with Jd, he was having major allergy issues, and from there is escalated

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:43 am

porchcricket13 wrote:

4 vet visits in a month.

Staph infections happen in areas with open wounds, so if the food was making her skin dry and itchy and she was scratching it, and wound up with open wounds...there ya go. Thats basically what happened with Jd, he was having major allergy issues, and from there is escalated

Now you guys have me wondering. His skin is very dry all over....lots of flaking and dandruff. Maybe it IS the food he is getting. Not severe enough to automatically think food allergy but enough to make him dry and itchy to lead to scratching. I thought it was strange that he was so dry.

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:44 am

FBODGRL wrote:Yes you need to do the vitamin E with the fish oil. How much are you using of both?

I'll need a weekend to do that. LOL

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:34 pm

porchcricket13 wrote:

4 vet visits in a month.

That's what they say about staph, but we never saw any wounds - and she really can't scratch where she got it. Her vet was puzzled.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:40 am

Return to “Health Issues”