Broken Toe?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Broken Toe?

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:10 am

I searched on here and did not see much except for 'broken toe nails' and broken human toes. so....

You all know Capone is a jumping bean, yesterday he was frolicking in the yard and then got a spazzy stint and went after Flower to play and then spun around and hit part of the deck.

After that we noticed he was still using his foot, but during certain times was not using one paw. To inspect Capone, you have to make it play... so we kept trying to play with his feet. Mind you this is still like trying to make a root canal 'fun'.

So since then, you can see he's been licking it but there is no swelling.
Do dogs toes even swell when broken?

Any how,I'm happy to do what I need to, but since we're going to the vet on Friday for Jasmine, I really don't want to make vet visits something we do EVERY night this week :)

Thanks all.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Broken Toe?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:27 am

My sheila is doing the same thing. I was worried she might have partially ruptured her cruciate from the way she's been walking, but she's been licking her foot quite a bit. I get a mild pain response when I mess with one of her middle toes, and I cannot find anything else wrong with her foot or other joints in that leg... so I think she may have broken/stubbed one of her toes playing frisbee on Valentines day.

She's getting metacam and a week of moderate rest to see if the issue goes away before I take her in for x-rays.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:24 am

Shamoo, when in her obese days, broke one toe a couple times (I think it was re-broken or never correctly healed 3 times) because she would do two things (in theory): shove her tray out of her wire crate and twist her feet all over the wire grating on the bottom, and loved to be active and jump forgetting she was bringing 72 lbs down on a 48 lb frame.

For us the vet said there's really nothing they can do, just like in humans, except offer a subtle pain management pill and encourage crate rest.

Eventually I think she maybe learned how to place her feet or the weight loss or she grew magically stronger bones lol but she never has trouble anymore. knock on wood.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Thanks ladies!

I figured the SPAZZY dog finally did it to himself. Once we thought he would have a piece of the deck coming out of his chest because he hit the railing so hard we were sure it was an impalement and then the other day I did not even see it but my husband winced so bad I knew he must have done something similar.

His feet can be so big and in the way I'm shocked he has not been stepped on and shattered before now.

I must say though with all the licking, I'm surprised we don't have a swolen toe. He was going to town this morning. I distract for a bit but then he goes right back. He is the most OCD dog about some stuff. At least he's not chewing.

Thanks again.
(why is it that all the health things come in waves?????)

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:20 pm

So, wanna take a gander as to what it appears to be now that we've had a few days for the pain to subside?

Yup, again, he has a broken nail. His nails grow like a Jai-Alai basket and my best guess is he either jammed his toe and it separated or he caught it in between some boards or he made it separate when he kept licking it but it is separated now.
Are dogs like people in that if the toe breaks they might loose their nails??

It does not seem to hurt him as much now, but he still does not want it played with. And it does seem a little on the bruised or blue side color wise.

Poor thing, he's got the worst nail issues I've ever seen. Today was nail trim day so I got a slight look at it more in depth. Needless to say I left that one alone.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:05 pm

HAHAHA... I just saw the bumped post and thought I'd write to report Sheila broke her nail too. It was split from the front to the back so I didn't see the break at first.

Problem is, last dog I saw with a split nail that way turned out to have malignant melanoma... so I'm kinda freakin out about it...

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:38 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:HAHAHA... I just saw the bumped post and thought I'd write to report Sheila broke her nail too. It was split from the front to the back so I didn't see the break at first.

Problem is, last dog I saw with a split nail that way turned out to have malignant melanoma... so I'm kinda freakin out about it...

Oh great... give me something to rea-lly worry about why don't ya! lol he is white, and really pink. That's one of my long term fears. but right now the foot smells like he stepped in poop in the yard >>> uuum good stuff :thumbsup:

Sorry about the split nail. Let me know if you've got any tricks to get the licking to stop lol

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:51 pm

I took sheila to work with me, put a couple mLs of lidocaine in the toe and yanked off the loose section of nail. Put her in an e-collar for the rest of the morning (she did not move at all, drooled and shook) and then took her home for lunch.

She still holds her foot in the air when walking in the snow, but no more licking. I think just getting the pressure off and removing the wiggly nail piece was all that was needed.

I'm keeping a close eye on it to make sure the swelling in the quick goes down... at the first sign her nailbed is growing the wrong direction I'll be lopping the entire toe off.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:43 pm

You have to cut the whole toe off? Roscoe broke one of his nails and it's just starting to grow back. Should I haul him to the vet if it starts growing back crooked?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:16 pm

If it looks like cancer, then you amputate the toe...

Sheila's nail split from front to back... making me worry that it split not because she caught it on something, but because pressure from a nail bed tumor within the nail caused the nail to split.

Normal broken nails need very little vet care beyond removing the broken pieces that are causing discomfort. If they grow back wierd, usually aggressive nail trimming can help prevent future breaks.

I'm only worried about my girls nail because of de-ja-vu with a recent patient who's nail also split in this unusual manner. That dog turned out to have malignant melanoma, and early amputation combined with chemotherapy resulted in that particular dog going into full remission... something practically unheard of in melanoma of the foot in dogs.

I'm gonna give it a week or two before I do anything drastic though... its also entirely possible it was just an unusual break and the swelling will go away and the nail will heal normally.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:55 pm

So last night, when I got home (late) CApone had been with Dad for the evening. I smelled his foot just because it still was stinky the day before. It really smelled like he stepped in bird doo.

So, it looks 'ok-ish' I guess. The quick still looks pink from what I can see under the nail. The nail however is not pink colored because it is not really 'on' the quick. There is either blood or dirt between the nail and the quick (after the snow, our yard is a big mud bog)

I have been playing with the foot as much as I can without him freaking out aboutit. When he's relaxed I can get up to 1/2" before the nail and then he quickly looks at me like "Really, really?? You have to do that?" I assume that is where the anil is broken back to?

So, with him licking it, obviously his white paw looks narly and brownish. If I have him soak his foot would that help things? Or should I try to clean it with a washcloth and soap?

With the nail, do I try to trim it? Leave it?
I'm affraid with leaving any dirt under there it's going to cause bad infection, hence my recent propencity to smell my dogs foot. lol

thoughts?
I'm thinking if by Saturday I'm still not happy I'll go the the vet. Taking him is like asking a wild stallion to be fenced. So-ooo not easy!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:54 pm

The broken portion of nail should be trimmed back or removed. Yes, the quick will be exposed, but it will heal faster if it can be kept clean and dry.

RoxieRules
Newborn Bully

Postby RoxieRules » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:18 pm

I would take Capone to the vet, just to be on the safe side. And kudos to you for cutting the dogs nails yourself! I am not that brave!!

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:28 pm

RoxieRules wrote:I would take Capone to the vet, just to be on the safe side. And kudos to you for cutting the dogs nails yourself! I am not that brave!!

Well, we'll be there in a couple of days to get Jasmine's stitches out anyway. He's such a freak about oww-ies that in this case I'm going to trust 'him' (it very well could be the last time).

The trimming of the nails is not the hard part, it's them tolerating it lol
I do a good job on the ones that do not flinch, but with Capone it is like trimming the nails on an earth worm, wriggles all over the place, never stays still! When I go to cut after I have a steady couple of micro-seconds he moves, so cutting his nails takes twice as long. Silly dog. :D Usually when I quick him it's because he flinches, not because I'm greedy.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:The broken portion of nail should be trimmed back or removed. Yes, the quick will be exposed, but it will heal faster if it can be kept clean and dry.
...and you make it sound so simple. Thanks for weighing in. I appreciate every word!!

Good luck with the move btw!

Return to “Health Issues”