Broken Toe?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Broken Toe?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:35 am

Pitbull-Lady wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:The broken portion of nail should be trimmed back or removed. Yes, the quick will be exposed, but it will heal faster if it can be kept clean and dry.
...and you make it sound so simple. Thanks for weighing in. I appreciate every word!!

Good luck with the move btw!

It sure helps when I can take my pups to work, grab some free lidocaine, and have one tech hold her and another feed her cookies while I mess with her feet!! So don't feel bad if its tougher for you because I definitely cheated.

Sheila is doing much better now that the broken portion of her nail has been removed. We pulled the inside half of her nail totally off down to the nail bed (like you would if you slammed your finger in a door for instance) and after a few days of paranoia, the quick finally dried up and started to heal the way it was supposed to. It was soooo swollen for a while I was terrified it was something bad. She still lifts her foot up in the snow now and then, I'm sure its quite sensitive, but otherwise the limp is gone and the licking has ceased.

RoxieRules
Newborn Bully

Postby RoxieRules » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:19 am

Pitbull-Lady wrote:
RoxieRules wrote:I would take Capone to the vet, just to be on the safe side. And kudos to you for cutting the dogs nails yourself! I am not that brave!!

Well, we'll be there in a couple of days to get Jasmine's stitches out anyway. He's such a freak about oww-ies that in this case I'm going to trust 'him' (it very well could be the last time).

The trimming of the nails is not the hard part, it's them tolerating it lol
I do a good job on the ones that do not flinch, but with Capone it is like trimming the nails on an earth worm, wriggles all over the place, never stays still! When I go to cut after I have a steady couple of micro-seconds he moves, so cutting his nails takes twice as long. Silly dog. :D Usually when I quick him it's because he flinches, not because I'm greedy.

You make the trimming of the nails sound so easy! I am beyond terrified of screwing up and causing BLOOD. ACK! The thought of it makes me wiggy!

HA I love the earthworm reference. Cracked me up.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:54 pm

Well PBFers it looks like we have another toe issue. I honestly can't see any trauma. This time it is to his back left foot 'pinky' toe. So it is a little swollen but not huge by anymeans. He is a wuss so I don't know if it is the toe or the nail. He's not licking just not using it all the times he walks. This time like last seems to have happened after play.

Honestly, what do broken dog toes look like? Do they swell and go blue? Obviously it is still tender so I'm going to keep an eye on it, but no walks for lug head until it is tolerable for him.

Too late today for the vet and not critical enough for emergency status. Now I can give Ibuprofin just not Tylenol right??? For a 55 lb dog how much is ok??? (it's been so long since I've had something like this!

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:42 pm

I just thought I'd update everyone on what has been transpiring. After some very calming advice from a very trusted source, I've been watching it... tick tock tick tock.

I'm telling you, it has been so sad. When we take the girls out and he does not get to do, I feel so bad. He looks at me like whay???? "Why can't we go on our daily date?" Daily, training, daily walks until exhausted... and this foot business has really got him immobile.

I've been on foot watch for days now. The last 3 have been soaks in the tub every evening. As the swelling goes down, it seems like there was something maybe 'stuck' in it. I still can't quite tell as he is a freak for touching his feet. (hence my stories about "Full Body Contact Nail Trimming"). His foot looked sooo good when I came home today and he had been actually using it without hesitation. I could see something colorful... but I'll have to investigate tomorrow. I have to pick my battles and body punches.

So we should be back to big walks hopefully in no time. fingers crossed!!!! :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”