4month pup a tad weak

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
chas
Newborn Bully

4month pup a tad weak

Postby chas » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:22 pm

I have taken my 4 mo old pup to the vets twice allready. (blood work fine, orthopedic doc says no problems, ect) I have exercised him by walking him in the woods and snow for about a month now. (my attempt at resistance training) He has made improvement but I am concerned that it might not be enough. I was told that his muscles are weak due to his prior living conditions. I was told by the vet to exercise him. I know that exercise alone will not help weak muscles, nutrition is needed. I am wondering if there is some way to increase his protein intake on a budget. Or if there is another way to exercise his rear end. (I cant swim him as it is freezing outside).

Charlie

Nikki89
Adolescent Bully

Re: 4month pup a tad weak

Postby Nikki89 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:38 pm

What is he currently eating??

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:43 pm

At 4 months, concentrate first on creating a healthy foundation for this dog rather than excessive exercise (It's akin to resistance-training an infant). Don't supplement the dog with protein, vitamins, etc. You can ruin a growing pup by knocking his nutrition off balance. You need to find and feed a well-balanced puppy food. I think you're in the UK? I'm not familiar with the brands you have access to over there, but what is he currently eating?

chas
Newborn Bully

Postby chas » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:14 am

I live in the US in Erie Pennsylvania. He is currently eating Science Diet "natures best" "chicken and brown rice dinner" puppy. I would like to add that he would rather eat the adult dogs food. However, I feed him this puppy food. I also have been giving him a little deer meat about every other day. I would say about the size of a golf ball between meals. I had various chunks left over.
This science Diet "Natures Best" says on the label
25% crude protein
crude fat 15%
fiber 5%
moisture 10%
then various minerals...
I am worried that being weak will stunt his growth. I don't have any evidence or proof for feeling this way, but it seems that his body would be using nutrients to grow stronger instead of using nutrients to "grow up". This may be absolutely wrong but that's what I am afraid of. I also don't want his legs to grow out of whack from his muscles being weak.
Charlie

Nikki89
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nikki89 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:28 am

Science diet isnt a good food theres threads on here that can offer somthing much better.

chas
Newborn Bully

Postby chas » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:03 pm

I was given a coupon from the pound (not a bad gesture almost free food) and didnt really know better. I picked it up because the lady working at petco said it was more "organic" then some others. I will search for better puppy foods on this forum. I am wondering if there is something special I should add to the foods given this pups weakness. Or just concentrate on nutrition for growth?

Charlie

Nikki89
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nikki89 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:05 pm

Vets do the same thing they hand out science diet so alot of people figure it must be good food but its still on the lower scale of quality food

chas
Newborn Bully

Postby chas » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:23 pm

I have been looking on http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/. So they say : Orijen, TOTW, Wellness core, Instinct, innova, Horizon, ect. Is this a trusted site?

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:30 pm

chas wrote:I have been looking on http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/. So they say : Orijen, TOTW, Wellness core, Instinct, innova, Horizon, ect. Is this a trusted site?

Very trusted, all those foods are quality brands.

The two that I've fed personally, Orijen and Innova, I've had great results with. :)

Semper Bull
Matured Bully

Postby Semper Bull » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:07 pm

I currently feed my adult dogs Evo, but when they were puppies I used Kirtland puppy food. It is Costco brand, and is reasonably priced. Your pup may want to eat the adult food because it smells better than his food. I have heard of people feeding TOTW to puppies but I have no personal experience with it.

Nikki89
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nikki89 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:06 pm

Much better foods Hope ur little guy gets a bit less weak with the food change

mnmh
Newborn Bully

Postby mnmh » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:19 pm

I have been feeding my 9 month old Taste of the Wild the High Prairie formula for 2 months now and she's doing real well on it.

Lisalrenee
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lisalrenee » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:29 pm

I highly recommend TOTW - all of my dogs eat in, including my now 9 month old puppy (who has been on it since I brought her home from the shelter at 3 mos) and they thrive! I rotate between the flavors.

Rachel&Halo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Rachel&Halo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:22 pm

by Nikki89 » February 25th, 2010, 11:05 am
Vets do the same thing they hand out science diet so alot of people figure it must be good food but its still on the lower scale of quality food

I know, I don't get it. My vet asked me what Halo was eating. I told him by Nature puppy formula and their canned Organics chicken sold at Petsmart. He looked at me weird and said, "Everyone is into organic food now-a-days. You may want to stick to the NAME BRAND foods like Science Diet, Purina Pro Plan, Eukanuba..."

I would think vets are educated on the contents of these 'name brand' foods, but I guess not. Sheesh.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:34 am

You can also get a hold of Angela Adams. She posted a thread about the whole dog journal top rated foods for 2010.

Return to “Health Issues”