Dog smell?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Dog smell?

Postby brunomom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:22 pm

Ok so most of you know that Bruno has some obvious skin issues between staph and demodex and sarcoptic manges. Well, we are still battling a rash of sorts (he goes back in for a re-check tomorrow). But I have to say I have noticed that he smells awfully "doggy"...if that makes sense. I wasn't thinking he was needing a bath frequently?! He also has alot of dry skin almost like dandruff.

So here are my thoughts and I would like to know from the pros if I am heading in the right train of thought or completely overthinking this one.

I was thinking that he might have a "slight" allergy to his food. Just enough to make him dry all over and itch enough to shed that dry skin constantly...could that contribute to the dog smell? OR is he just full of dander and if he is...what can I do to counter that?

He gets fish oil 1000 mg and Vitamin E 400 IU every morning. He is on cephalexin for the rashes. He is on benadryl for itch. What the heck else should I or could I be doing? I feel like I am doing something wrong for him. I really do. It's to the point that other people that visit are making comments on his stink. Any ideas or thoughts would be welcomed.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: Dog smell?

Postby starrlamia » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:40 pm

Grendel has been really smelly lately too, I thought it was allergies, but now with the mange Im not so sure!
I just started him on fish oil about a week ago so it isnt that cause he smelled before that. And his coat is super soft and he doesnt seem to have a lot of dry skin.
Just wanted to say I feel your pain!

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:35 pm

What does he smell like-if it's a metallic fishy smell, it could be his anal sacs. Also, does the dandruff move?-there's a mite called walking dandruff.
Another thing you might consider is the shampoo you use, I would use something really mild like oatmeal or one of the Earth Bath shampoos, and don't bathe him too often, because he'll just produce more oils. A long time ago when my boxer was young she had dandruff too, and the vet told me to give her a bath every day for I think it was a week (it was a long time ago) with Selsun Blue, and use milder shampoo after that, and that took care of the problem. When Roscoe was a pup, even the oatmeal shampoo was too harsh for him and I had better luck with the Earth Bath.
Have you tried any different foods on him? I hope something helps Bruno!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:44 pm

What are you feeding? I hate to say this but when I pet dogs - I can get a good ball park of what wuality food they eat. There's a lanolin feeling to them and they often smell "doggy".

Supplemental can help. But all the Salomn oil, kelp, yogurt, etc, etc in the world isn't going to make much differences if the food wuality is low or simply not working for the dog.

Big thumbs up though on Earthbath. I dilute it almost 50/50 as well.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:49 pm

FransterDoo wrote:What are you feeding? I hate to say this but when I pet dogs - I can get a good ball park of what wuality food they eat. There's a lanolin feeling to them and they often smell "doggy".

Supplemental can help. But all the Salomn oil, kelp, yogurt, etc, etc in the world isn't going to make much differences if the food wuality is low or simply not working for the dog.

Ya see, I have the same problem with grendel, which may be the demodex (?), but he is on orijen and has been on orijen since we got him, he was switched to adult from puppy about 3 months ago and it has just been the past month he has been doggy smelling.

Good to know about the earth bath! I just got the eucalyptus and peppermint.

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:51 pm

dogs4jen wrote:What does he smell like-if it's a metallic fishy smell, it could be his anal sacs. Also, does the dandruff move?-there's a mite called walking dandruff.
Another thing you might consider is the shampoo you use, I would use something really mild like oatmeal or one of the Earth Bath shampoos, and don't bathe him too often, because he'll just produce more oils. A long time ago when my boxer was young she had dandruff too, and the vet told me to give her a bath every day for I think it was a week (it was a long time ago) with Selsun Blue, and use milder shampoo after that, and that took care of the problem. When Roscoe was a pup, even the oatmeal shampoo was too harsh for him and I had better luck with the Earth Bath.
Have you tried any different foods on him? I hope something helps Bruno!

Not sure on the "type" of smell BUT I have noticed that he has drug his rear end on the floor a few times. Gonna have the vet deal with that tomorrow as well.

Someone told me tea tree shampoo are great as well? I will ask the vet about the Selsun Blue thing and then switch him to a shampoo that would be better. I use an oatmeal now but that other brand is sounding great.

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:57 pm

FransterDoo wrote:What are you feeding? I hate to say this but when I pet dogs - I can get a good ball park of what wuality food they eat. There's a lanolin feeling to them and they often smell "doggy".

COME PET HIM! PLEASE! lol

Not sure what he was eating at the foster but I switched him to Nutro Natural Choice Chicken, Rice and Oatmeal once we adopted him. I thought that it would be a good choice for him with the oatmeal but now I am not so sure. I was thinking of switching him to Blue Buffalo Fish & Sweet Potato or the Fish & Oatmeal.

What is your opinion on that for a dog with skin issues? I also need to figure out how to boost his immunity because that is truly the underlying cause with Bruno. He has had both types of mange, staph, ear issues, the dandruff. Something tells me his system is just not strong enough to keep him healthy enough to fight this stuff.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:11 pm

In my experience "dog smell" is often yeast... either of the skin, the feet, or the ears.

Does his coat seem greasy, leave a film on your hands?? If so, thats a sign of yeast too.

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:17 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:In my experience "dog smell" is often yeast... either of the skin, the feet, or the ears.

Does his coat seem greasy, leave a film on your hands?? If so, thats a sign of yeast too.

Yes...it does. I have a list of things to talk to the vet about tomorrow. Immune system (adding zinc, vitamin c and flax seed oil as options); food issues; shampoo/skin.

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:56 am

Ok his rash is not so bad that the vet is worried. We basically decided that he does indeed have an allergy issue causing all the skin issues, itching, dandruff, licking, etc. The butt dragging is also from itching (his glands were fine). So I am switching his food to see what happens. I also picked up some oatmeal and tea tree oil shampoo for him...and we'll be doing baths for a bit to help. Vet doesn't think that he has a zinc issue but said a multi-viatmin is great for him.

So, I looked at the foods today and was SHOCKED at some of the pricing. Not that I am not willing to give him the best I can afford...but we just can't afford $50 or $60 a bag. So, I stuck with Nutro Natural Choice but going with the Venison one for sensitive skin. If that isn't working after 6 weeks then we''ll look at the more expensive stuff. I just wanted to try this first. They also have a fish and potato version that I might be willing to try.

My brag today is that after the appointment the vet said: I have to tell you, when you first brought your new dog to me I was worried about what you had gotten yourself into with his medical condition, the manges and his breed. And now, I have to say your instincts on him were great because he is such a fabulous dog and I am really impressed by him. :)) Totally made my heart swell and burst out of my chest.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:02 am

you might want to start him on a probiotic too because the antibiotics are killing all the good bacteria in his gut
I would not feed the Nutro, nor would I feed the Blue Buffalo with the sweet potato, the potato is carbs, carbs turn to sugar, yeast feeds off the sugar hence the cycle continues with the allergies over and over again.
like Misskiwi said, it is probably yast issues and that is what is probably aking him have the strong doggy odor
I feed Orijeen and or Acana and add fresh lightly cooked meat/fish or poultry for my allergy dog and cancer dog(both do not need the grains or carbs in their diets )
I use some of the Azmira products to boost immune systems here .
http://www.azmira.com

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:28 am

I'd also suggest a probiotic. You want to check the brand though b/c the one we use can't be feed within a certain time frame of giving the ABX.

Is Blue affordable for you? PBlove is really good about recommending food. I'm not as strong b/c we don't feed kibble.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:31 am

I wonder if some apple cider vinegar might help his skin, a lot of people say it helps with yeast. I hear you on the cost of good dog food, one you might consider is California Natural or Chicken Soup. I've been feeding our foster Chicken Soup, he's doing well on it and it was $37 with tax for a 35 pound bag. Nutro has had so many recalls, I just don't have any trust in them.

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:06 pm

Thank you for all the good info. I hadn't heard of a bunch of Nutro recalls....that kind of worries me a bit. I was actually thinking to myself as I read lables and ingredients of brands I had never heard of: I hope none of these brands have been part of the dog food issues killing animals over the years.

Jen, that Chicken Soup food doesn't sound too expensive at all. I am paying $30 for a 17.5 lb bag of Nutro. It was the 15 lb bags at $45 or more that I couldn't justify right now.

PBLOVE - you might get some messages from me...I'd like to chat to you about the options. I myself am a person that uses probiotics and avoids heavy carbs/sugars because of the bacterial/yeast balance....so that thought of carbs totally makes sense. And I looked at the Azmira site....very helpful and definately some things there I need to get for him. This going to the vet all the time is getting expensive and ridiculous. I have got to figure this out really on my own to prevent it and help him.

Franster - what brand do you use so I know not to get that? I think Bruno is gonna be on antibiotics off and on for quite some time considering the underlying issues at this point.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:16 pm

You could try Natural Balance as well, limited ingredients and from what I remember not too expensive.
You have to keep in mind with higher quality foods you will be feeding less of it. We feed Gren Orijen, the biggest bag costs about 80 bucks and it last several months.

Return to “Health Issues”