Dog smell?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Semper Bull
Matured Bully

Re: Dog smell?

Postby Semper Bull » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:24 pm

I will second that with higher quality foods you feed less. My female has always been itchy. The vet said not to have her were a collar all the time because she will scratch herself until she bleeds. I was feeding Kirtland brand, but one summer she scratched her neck raw and was not wearing a collar. I started to do research and decided to try grain free foods. I got some samples and let the dogs pick which one they liked; they chose the most expensive, Evo red meat.

I have to agree with you on the price thing, it is expensive. The dogs go through a 33lb bag in about the same amount of time it took them to eat a 40lb bag of Kirtland. There is less waste for me to clean up :)) and I have been very happy with the food. Soda still is itchy at times, but it is not nearly as bad as it used to be, and she has not scratched herself raw.

My dogs used to have dandruff. We always bathed them with high quality shampoo and would even condition them after. On the Evo, they do not have dandruff and their coats stay very shiny. We use Bio Groom Natural Oatmeal anti itch shampoo and the oatmeal creme rinse on our two. It did take several months of being on the new food for their dandruff to go away.

If there is a pet specialty shop in your area, I would recommend going. I have found the staff is very knowledgeable and helpful in deciding on a food for your dog that fits your budget.

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:36 pm

Nutro has had 5 recalls in the last 10 years. The last one killing cats with a screw up in the vitamin pre-mix.
Also remember that many of the more expensive food are much more calorie dense.
Look at how much you would feed and get the cost per day. I've shocked alot of people with the "its only 3 cents a day more!"
I would try a basic formula with few ingredients. Orijen is fine, but full of many proteins and is useless for many allergy dogs!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:41 pm

brunomom wrote:
Franster - what brand do you use so I know not to get that? I think Bruno is gonna be on antibiotics off and on for quite some time considering the underlying issues at this point.

I'll have to check. We basically went to our local Whole Foods type place and talked to the supplement person and tried out a few.

Apple Cider Vinegar! Duh, Franster. Seriously one of our other "go-to" supplements. Everyone gets this and if we start having skin issues, that dog gets extra. Get the stuff with the mother (Bragg's is the most common and it will look cloudy at the bottom)and if that's not available, just make sure it's not "flavored" which is what some of the cheap-o brands do.

You can feed the ACV and you can also do a 1/2 and 1/2 AVC water rinse.

Rachel&Halo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Rachel&Halo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:29 pm

Bruno mom, sorry this is off topic, but where do you get your fish oil?
How old is Bruno now?

Our whole foods store is too far west, and I'm too lazy to drive all the way out there haha. I read that supplementing fish oil, well in humans I'm not sure if this is true for dogs, can make you burp up the fish smell. Haha, maybe I read that wrong. Maybe he's starting to smell like fish? :tongue: I'm currently adding to Halo's diet weekly Vit E and Flaxseed oil supplements. She has a smell too.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:51 am

I feed natural balance for Khan and California Natural for my cats. Both are limited ingredient and good for allergy and skin issues. They are both kind of at the lower end pricing wise to premium foods.

I'm not sure where you buy your food or looked at pricing. I have found a great price variance....especially if you go to a chain type store like petco, petsmart, etc. If you go to a smaller non chain store the pricing is a little more reasonable. You will feed less of a higher quality food and it almost evens out. For some reason the actual weight escapes me, but the big bag of Natural Balance lasts us over a month, maybe 2. Compared to the 60-80 dollars I spend on cat food that is nothing lol So anyway...my point is if you decide on something you want to feed you can usually go to the companies website to see where it is sold in your area. Then call around for prices at those stores. Too bad you didn't live in Metro Detroit, because we have quite a few "good" places that sell quality food.

In addition to the better food if he were my dog I would up the dosage of Salmon oil as well. IMO you shouldn't need a multivitamin if the food is high quality.

I can tell you for years my first cat(all black) had dandruff issues. I tried different things that you put on food, on the skin, etc. It wasn't until I started feeding a higher quality food that it improved. Plus they now eat canned only and no dandruff.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:46 am

We feed Natural Balance to our allergy dogs as well.
If you are using chicken right now, buy the venison or Bison type.

If you really can't afford it, Kirkland Signature was not involved in the recalls and it can be found fairly cheap at $23 or so for a 40lb. bag, at Costco.

CSilverman89
Forum Junky

Postby CSilverman89 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:30 pm

Definitely get him off Nutro if at all possible. It is full of wheat and is corn based, which is horrible for skin and even worse for dogs with any sort of allergies.

Dover had absolutely nothing but issues on Nutro, and was all sorts of yeasty, and just belch. Ever since we switched to TOTW, and raw feeding at night, he not only is soft, but sheds less and honestly, smells amazing. We rarely bath him except for days him and Carly romp in mud. lol

Natural Balance is a WONDERFUL food (We just had a rep come in to our store and do a presentation today) and they have allergy formulas, they use NO wheat source, use all natural ingredients, test every batch of food, and their food has no fillers. I'm a huge fan of Holistic, Natural and Super Premium foods.

Also, as everyone suggested, vitamins and pro biotic.

Your on the right path!

CSilverman89
Forum Junky

Postby CSilverman89 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:30 pm

*You're, wow.

ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Postby ShadowWolf » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:31 pm

I don't know if any of you have tried it, but liquid chlorophyll will help remove some of the 'doggy' smell some dogs have. We normally use it for Lyric when she's going to come into season but I've been using it for our foster failure, Duo, as well since he tends to have a nasty odor to him.

We use the Tropiclean Oxymed for the skin issues - my Dad's lab used to have horrid skin issues and we tried that and now I'm hooked. It makes the dogs look so nice.

And thing about going raw if that's an option for you. I've been loving the how the dogs looked on it since I converted - even my skeptical vet is in love with it.

Return to “Health Issues”