Sick pup? Opinions please...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Tony Alva
Newborn Bully

Sick pup? Opinions please...

Postby Tony Alva » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:04 pm

Seven just turned 7 months. Saturday morning I took him to an enclosed park and I saw him eat something, on the other of the enclosed area, too far for me to reach him before he consumed whatever it might have been,This past Sunday morning he woke me up with"dry heaving" sounds. I held him over the sink and he threw up a few strands of a tug toy he has. He threw up a couple more times, mainly yellowish liquid. Later that morning he thew up again after I fed him his breakfast, followed by diarrhea,since then (Sunday afternoon) I've been feeding him small meals of rice and boiled chicken and pedialyte,he hasn't thrown up since. What has me worried is that his last bowl movements were yesterday and was a little diarrhea. He's had no bowel movements at all today, he eaten all the chicken/rice I give him, but he won't drink any water today. I've searched this section in the past few days thinking he may have something as major as an obstruction (worst case scenario) He has a healthy appetite, does not seem to be in any discomfort. His belly is not distended, he seems to be playful, his normal self.
I called my vet, he said to keep feeding him chicken/rice and if his diarrhea hasn't cleared up by Friday to bring him in. I plan to take him in Friday regardless. I hope I'm over-reacting with my concern. He had a bout of diarrhea last month as well, which cleared up after 72 hours. I guess I'm looking for some reassurance,if he had an obstruction wouldn't he be in pain, lethargic etc..? I lost my boy Bosco unexpectedly last year and I don't want to go through that again..any opinions,advice please? Thank you

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Re: Sick pup? Opinions please...

Postby porchcricket13 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:13 am

The only thing I can tell you, is you know your own pup, if you are concerned bring him in sooner. Usually pups with obstructions would continue vomiting, and not be eating. At least thats what i've seen in practice. Good luck. Hope he feels better soon

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:48 am

If he's bouncing around and acting himself otherwise, he's probably just got a stomach upset and it should hopefully clear up on its own, and if it doesn't, then being seen by the end of the week sounds good to me too.

If he stops eating, stops acting normal, he needs to be seen by a vet that same day.

Tony Alva
Newborn Bully

Postby Tony Alva » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:24 am

Good news! Just came back from a walk and he had his first solid bowel movement since last Saturday, though it was small.Great relief. I'll keep him on his bland diet till end of week and bring him in on Friday. I really appreciate the input, thank you!

Return to “Health Issues”