Frontline vs. Advantix

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Fixedgearjerk
Adolescent Bully

Frontline vs. Advantix

Postby Fixedgearjerk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:04 am

I'm sure this has been beatin to death, I did a quick search and didn't see anything though. Do any of you have a prefernce when it comes to flea/bug protection? We're moving from cold snowy Chicago to Birmingham and I want to get him protected asap. My boy is quite itchy so I'd prefer the less irritating and step up if I have to. From what I can see both are availible online without a prescription, is that correct? Any links to the best deals are appriciated! Thanks in advance!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Re: Frontline vs. Advantix

Postby pblove » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:52 pm

since no one has replied I will post what is hearsay-no proof
In the past couple years people from the south have posted that Frontline does not seem to help with fleas. seems the fleas have developed immunities to the Frontline?
I have read the same thing on other dog lists re Frontline
I use Frontline Plus once or twice per year, spring and fall and that is for ticks.

Kandice
Newborn Bully

Postby Kandice » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:42 pm

I'd go with Advantix. I use it during the summer/spring. That's the only time I have issues with fleas. The area that I was living in was horrible with them, and they're like monster fleas that NOTHING kills. Frontline would help for about a week, and that's help, not take care of it. Advantix would work for about 3 weeks before I'd see them itch at all.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:52 pm

Advantix keeps ticks off your dog... frontline allows ticks time to crawl on your dog and potentially bite before dying. Ticks die prior to being attached long enough to transmit disease (24-48 hours needed to transmit disease).

Advantix has a larger volume of liquid, and is much oilier than Frontline. This leaves a larger greasy spot for longer to get on you and your furniture.

I personally prefer frontline for fleas, and advantix for ticks... I prefer revolution over both if ticks are not an issue in your area.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:39 pm

don't know if it matters to you, but advantix is toxic to cats.

Return to “Health Issues”