Rabies Vaccine SNAFU

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
TheBowie
Newborn Bully

Rabies Vaccine SNAFU

Postby TheBowie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:21 pm

Edgar went to the vet this weekend for his annual exam, including a rabies vaccine. He also got a heartworm test and blood drawn for parvo and distemper titers and treatment for a small corneal scratch, so the bill was hefty. I didn't realize until I got home that I didn't get the rabies certificate or tag nor did they charge me for a rabies vaccine. But she DID give it to him - I distinctly remember it - pink syringe, right hip, and the only shot he got. I'm going to call tomorrow but my fear is they are not going to have any record of having given him one and make me come in and get another. Does anyone know if a double rabies vaccine is at all harmful?

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Rabies Vaccine SNAFU

Postby jtalt7 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:25 pm

It should be in his written record regardless of what your invoice says.

Just ask them to fix it so you can get a cert.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:42 pm

Hopefully, it'll be in his record, or your vet will remember having given it.

TheBowie
Newborn Bully

Postby TheBowie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Crisis averted....luckily she did record it in his record and they are going to mail me the tag. This vet already thinks I'm some kind of nut job because I don't want to vaccinate my animals for every conceivable condition and my request for titers seemed to really throw her for a loop so I was just afraid she forgot to write it down anywhere.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:10 pm

Great! I'd be a little reluctant to give an extra rabies vaccine, since it's the one vaccine that has caused one of my dogs a problem. Not a vaccine reaction, but I had to have one given the day before an agility trial, and at the trial, he didn't want to run. Which was not like him! I gave him half an aspirin on a vet's advice, and the next day he was fine, but I figure that rabies vaccine must have just left him feeling crummy. Wouldn't like to repeat it unnecessarily.

ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Postby ShadowWolf » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:24 pm

Don't feel bad, my vet and I've gone rounds on it. She's finally realized that I'm more anal about their care then most of the pet owners she deals with. I always back up my reasoning with facts from veterinary medical journals, etc. or have her research to make an informed choice.

Return to “Health Issues”