Histocytomas?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Histocytomas?

Postby addieNmel » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:06 am

Just curious to see if anyone has had experiences with histocytomas on their dogs. Addie has developed one ( started out small and grew to double size in a week and a half ( about the size of a pinky fingernail). I took her to the Dr I work for and she told me it looked like a histiocytoma and not to worry about it.. it will get worse before it goes away, but it will go away on its own. I know basal cell tumors look very similar but Addie's Dr didnt seem concerned enough to want to biopsy / aspirate it ( I trust her very well, I work with her every day) . She said histocytomas are common on young dogs ( addies just turning 1)

Addie doesnt seem bothered by it ( doesnt lick at it, scratch etc) but it just looks gross!, it bothers me rather than her lol.. I've heard pit bulls are prone to them ( shes half pitty). How quickly do they go away ( my Dr didnt tell me exactly) ? I've heard they ulcerate sometimes.. did you guys get antibiotics etc? How big do they typically grow? I could ask her at work, LOL but i'm curious to see if anyones delt with these..

thanks!!

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Re: Histocytomas?

Postby porchcricket13 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:12 pm

JD had one that was about the size of a half dollar...we had it removed only because it seemed to bother him. You could leave it to go away on it's own, but if it's becoming a bother, or starting to become an open wound, i'd have it removed.
We also aspirated it which just made it more inflamed, which is probably why he became bothered by it.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:40 pm

Ruby had one about the size of a pencil eraser on her foot and I waited it out. Per the general guidelines, it went away on it's own in 2-3 months.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:53 pm

Our first, Amnesty, had one on her head. Not just anywhere but between her eye and her ear. It was so ugly!! We thought about taking it off but it did go away and without it she never would have gotten her nickname "KnotHead"
Her thing lasted about 4 months and she had a few white hairs to prove the location.

Our Jasmine (#1) had one on the back of her back leg. It went away within 2 months.

pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitsnok » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:09 pm

Harlow had one. She messed with it a lot and we had to go through two rounds of antibiotics. The vet wanted to remove it but luckily it started to go away before we got to that point. I think she probably had it for two or three months before it was gone.
Now she just has a little hairless scar on her leg. Much better than the oozy red thing it was before. (gross)

trip8581
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby trip8581 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:43 am

Rain has one that is on her nose where it connects to her lip. It has been there for a few years now and sadly is not going anywhere. It cannot be removed as it takes up too much of her lip. So we call it her ugly stepmother wart.

addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Postby addieNmel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:16 am

Thanks for the infromation :) My vet told me not to be worried about it, but its hard when its so ugly LOL/ She doesnt seem bothered by it, but its nasty looking. I'll wait it out enless she seems really bothered by it. Thanks! :)

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Usually they are gone within a year..........that is usually.

Kal's went away in under 2 months and she has a new one that is already starting to regress.

addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Postby addieNmel » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:07 pm

Good to know. Its funny these things bother me more than I think it bothers her :-) It is just gross looking. The one on addie looks like a little cyst almost ( about fingernail size). It grew dramatically in the first week but has slowed down. Hopefully it will go away in a few months and wont ulcerate when we're on our honeymoon in a month anda half! :pray

Return to “Health Issues”