food question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
mxmom
Newborn Bully

food question

Postby mxmom » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:47 pm

I was wondering if it is beneficial to add some raw meat to my dogs diet without going completely raw. I am feeding them Wellness Core kibble and Core canned. I just rescued another pit bull that has demadox mange real bad.( he looks like one of those hairless dogs ) I read that giving him raw beef liver would help build his immune system, but i have never fed raw before. I would like to start feeding all of my dogs a little raw in addition to the regular food they get. Any help and advice would be great. Thank you

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: food question

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:12 pm

from what I gather there is NO ill effects from feeding both raw and kibble.

Your puppy might get diarrhea from the liver, but they adjust.

If you haven't considered it, maybe you should go full raw. It's definitely cleared up my pitbull's skin issues!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:56 pm

Liver alone is very high in vitamin A... in fact, so high in vitamin A that you can give your dog toxic doses of it.

If you want to supplement, you must keep the diet to less than 10% of your pets daily caloric intake, otherwise you MUST take the time to balance the diet with vitamins/minerals.

If you want to feed raw meaty bones as a treat, raw eggs a couple times a week, or even raw chicken every now and then as a dental treat, feel free to do so, but stick to meats, not organs, and especially not heavy doses of liver.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:09 am

green tripe is a great supplement for dogs that coat issues, and or skin issues. It stinks, but well worth it.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:47 am

Also I've heard a lot of people say (I don't know, since I don't feed RAW) that you shouldn't feed them the two things at the same time. So if you're going to continue to feed your dog kibble do it in the morning...and then feed RAW at night...or vice versa.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:53 am

My only problem with feeding raw and kibble at the same time is the toxic gas it creates!

Before I started back into feeding the dogs raw meals regularly, I was feeding Umah raw hamburger mixed with her kibble in the mornings.

My dogs favorite type of ground raw is turkey, though. They could eat it every day twice a day and never get tired of it lol

2Lehners
Newborn Bully

Postby 2Lehners » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:54 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote:green tripe is a great supplement for dogs that coat issues, and or skin issues. It stinks, but well worth it.

Yes it stinks bad but it's great.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:10 pm

I don't have an answer about the raw, but wanted to suggest if you haven't already to search around this section. There are quite a bit of topics about mange with good suggestions for supplements, etc.

Return to “Health Issues”