Dr Dodd's Blood Panel for Thyroid

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Dr Dodd's Blood Panel for Thyroid

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:43 pm

So I'm in uncharted territory. Obviously I'll talk to my vet in the a.m. but if I decide to do a Thyroid panel... What on earth should I ask for???

Dr. Jean Dodd's Blood Testing was recommended.
Has anyone else used this service
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/HEMOPET.HTM

the website is terribly "busy" golly they need help, but they are NFP.

Even if you don't like them... what should I be asking for? Is there one panel that is just ridiculous or what...
I'm so lost.

MikeInTacoma

Re: Dr Dodd's Blood Panel for Thyroid

Postby MikeInTacoma » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:30 pm

I got nothing to add, I just want to be able to find this again later. (I thought there was a way to "follow" threads, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Stupid mods...)

(Woo-hoo! I figured it out. Tiny print at the bottom of the page, toward the left. I kinda wish it were more obvious...)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:29 am

University of Wisconsin panel is what we use... very similar.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:32 am

I like them big time. Their clinic has friendly staff and Dr. Doods is really knowledgeable about thyroid, among other things. I am going to see her again, possibly next week and after I get some results back for one of my females.If thyroid is a concern she is the person to go to.You can ask for a specific panel only ( Thyroid 5, T4, T3,TGAA etc.) or ask for a combination or everything done together.What are the reasons you are wanting a thyroid panel done? Call them up anyway, explain what the problem is and ask that they suggest you which way to go. They are usually helpful on the phone. I would go with the THYROID 5AA just to cover everything.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:30 am

If you've been fortunate enough ;) to read this never ending diatribe of why my dog is wierd ;)
The behaviorist I have contacted had suggested getting his thyroid levels checked as a beginning diagnostic through the vet.

She had heard good things about Dr. Dodds and also told me about the Winconsin one late last night (Thanks MissKiwi for the confirmation on that one :thumbsup: )

Last night however we had loose stools and vomiting. So regardless, I'm now wondering if he ate some carp in the yard or if we're now dealing with something more sinister here. (I'm trying to not let my mind go there, but I keep thinking that this is how the Addison's in our Diesel started. Especially since he was a nervous nelly too)

So, if we send the blood today, what should I be asking for? They have a lot of tests that can be done. Not knowing which is beneficial has me so confused.
I do have a call into my vet too, but I'd appreciate any thoughts from you all too.

This is uncharted territoty for me, thyroid for behavior.
I understand the science-sort of, I just need to know what to ask to be looking for.

2fatcatsandapitbull
Adolescent Bully

Postby 2fatcatsandapitbull » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:44 am

the full thyroid 5 panel is the one I would choose.

If your vet suggests a cbc/chem screen along with the thyroid panel, the lab has the profile 7200 which is a chem screen, cbc and the full thyroid profile. For us, that was the more economical choice as the in house cbc/chem alone at the vet was over $100 and the full panel with everything through dodd was not much more.

We used the lab for our female with behavioral issues. We did not know her background and wanted to rule out any possible health problem.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:20 pm

That is great advice, thanks. My vet did suggest the full chem and when I called the lab (thanks Red) they were sooo nice AND I did not realize that Dr Dodds would be analyzing the report as well a a brief pet report and give an assesment too!

What a friggin' deal!

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:31 pm

Oh! and on the MOST important side for tonight, Capone is back to his normal self. I've been feeding a little by little to him and watching what he wants to eat. He keeps going outside and trying to lick the DIRT, bleech! ?really? dirt?

He feels good though. Our dear dog walker came by twice today and the first time he scared her because he was so lethargic and not his spastic self. BUT, the 2nd time she came by he started to run in the yard and be 'normal'

So, in order to not create stress since he's feeling ok, were not going to do blood work tonight. Maybe tomorrow or Monday.

So what a great friggin week. Just wait for the next story... there will be another.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:35 pm

I would recommend waiting until he's as normal as possible anyway. Stress REALLY affects the thyroid, and thyroid panels are hard enough to interpret as it is without a major/minor bellyache causing enough stress to throw off the results a bit...

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:23 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:I would recommend waiting until he's as normal as possible anyway. Stress REALLY affects the thyroid, and thyroid panels are hard enough to interpret as it is without a major/minor bellyache causing enough stress to throw off the results a bit...

That's good advice, thanks. Never thought of it that way, but it sooo makes perfect sense :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”