Lump on Sugar's leg ... Thoughts appreciated

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Deniselynn
BANNED

Re: Lump on Sugar's leg ... Thoughts appreciated

Postby Deniselynn » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:15 am

Image Great news Jim! SO happy for you and Sugar!

spammie

Postby spammie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:25 am

:nana:
What good news!

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:05 am

:headbang: :nana: :peace: (and all the other celebratory emoticons)!!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:41 am

that is great news for sure!

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:29 am

Just the news we've been waiting for!!

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:55 am

:nana:

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:41 am

Wonderful news!!

How is the little patient doing? Are the stitches/staples out yet?

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Postby JoeBingo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:44 am

Thank YOU everyone !!! 8)

The staples came out yesterday. They were a little trouble getting out for the vet assistant. They had to dig one of them out but all in all, not a big deal.

HOWEVER comma, Sugar is still wearing the cone !!!

Last Thursday or Friday, I removed the cone briefly just to give Sugar some relief from it. Weeellll ... for some reason, she chewed the base of her tail to a bloody mess.

SOoooo, when I had the staples removed yesterday, Dr Jennings wasn't in and I had to make an appointment for him to see Sugar this morning. I was concerned that the area at the base of her tail might be another lesion or something.

Dr Jennings said the leg is healing nicely. He doesn't think the spot at the base of the tail is a lesion. He's not sure why she got into it, maybe a flea bite or something. I haven't seen any fleas on Rowdy or Sugar, but I had suspended using "Revolution" on them for about three months. Dr Jennings said I should not do that in this geographical area. It is too temperate around here. I should use Revolution year round. (I started Rowdy and Sugar back on Revolution when we got back home this morning)

Anyway, Dr Jennings gave Sugar a Cortizone anti-itch and anti-inflamatory shot. He also cleaned the site at the base of the tail and I have to use GentaVed Topical Spray (a mixture of aminoglycoside antibiotics) on the site twice a day until it heals. Dr Jennings said it will take 5-7 days to heal. So, Sugar has to wear the cone another week !!!

Here is a picture of her tail ...

Here is a picture of Sugar before all this mess started about a month ago and hopefully will end soon !!!

Oh, and the Pathology Results on the lesion removed from her leg that was pictured earlier in this thread (i got a copy of it today) ...

State of Alabama Dept of Agriculture Thompson Bishop Sparks Diagnostic Lab
Auburn, Alabama

Histopathdx: Nodular fasciitis, cutaneous mass.

Histopathology: The deep dermis and subcutis contains a poorly defined and nonencapsulated mass composed of proliferating fibroblastic type cells, admixed with sclerotic collagen and many, often perivascular, aggregates of plasma cells and lymphocytes. There are fewer scattered neutrophils, macrophages and rare eosinophils. The fibroblastic or spindle cells are arranged in short bundles or whorls, within a collagenous to loose, myxomatous stroma. There are many mitotic figures, ranging from 0-2 per single 400x field.

Comments: This lesion most resembles nodular fasciitis, a benign reactive and non-neoplastic lesion composed of fibroblasts, myofibroblasts and inflammatory cells. This lesion usually exhibits a benign clinical behavior and complete excision is considered curative. Lesions may recur with incomplete excision. Differential diagnoses for this mass may include fibrosarcoma, nerve sheath tumor or fibrohistiocytic nodules. The lesion in this case extends to the deep and lateral margins of the examined section.

Reported by: Leah A Kuhnt, DVM, MS, Dipl ACVP

Bottom line is that it was benign. I only hope that Dr Jennings was able to excise the entire mass or the lesion MAY/COULD return.

Again, Thank YOU everyone for your concern and advice. It really means a great deal to me. Sugar is being well taken care of and will be completely "out of the woods" and back to her normal self real soon. :thumbsup:

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:06 pm

Aww, her pretty tail.

I LOVE that picture. She's like hoarding all those bones!
Hoping for a quicker recovery!

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:50 pm

Aww poor Ms. Sugar having that sore on her tail and having to wear the cone another week! I hope her shots make her better and her lesion never returns. Hopefully when the cone comes off this time she'll never have to wear one again.

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Postby JoeBingo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:21 pm

Sugar is Cone Free !!! WOooHOoo !!! :peace:

I removed the cone late yesterday afternoon when I fed Sugar and Rowdy. I had intended to place the cone back on Sugar when we went to bed last night, but she did so well without it, I left it off over night. Sugar did just fine !!!

The cone never really bothered Sugar. She adapted so well to it. I think, like someone mentioned elsewhere in this thread, it bothered me more than Sugar LOL.

Sugar is healed and she has the scars to prove it. She is back to her same old self again !!!

I hope this will be my last post in this thread. PLEASE, there is no need to respond. I'm already embarrassed how long it has gone and the lessons I have learned. :oops:

I just wanted to give one final update on Sugar.

I also wanted to thank those who responded in this thread with advice, concerns support, ideas, well wishes, prayers and good vibes. And, a special Thank YOU to Misskiwi67 for generous professional advice and consideration.

Thank YOU (in no particular order), spammie, Nickdawg, redgrrl, Murfins, CSilverman89, Maven, Deniselynn, Jazzy, HappyPuppy, Ilovethepits, Adrianne, msvette2u, pblove, patty, julie64, ilikelily, KittyNyanNyan, loye, madremissy, PitBull-Lady, starrlamia, littleCloClo, VC_Reno, brunomom, Allie, mtlu, Kingsgurl, turtle !!!

And to those who in their heart, sent the best to Sugar but did not feel compelled to post.
Thank YOU ALL (we say, y'all) Very Much !!! :headbang:

Return to “Health Issues”