Emergency Vet Trip Today...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
loye
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Emergency Vet Trip Today...

Postby loye » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:29 am

So I got a phone call from my ma this morning asking if there was any way I could take her dog, Sadie (I rescued her and her littermate at 4 wks :( and my ma adopted her...now 2yrs old), to the vet. They've had problems with her as far as her heat cycle goes, and she ended up getting an infection. We had a dog before that got it and almost died from it b/c it was backing up and what not...pretty bad. They've been trying to get her fixed since she was old enough but you have to wait so long after the dog is in heat to get them fixed (what the vet told us). The problem is...she goes into heat every 2 months!!! So of course I agreed to take her to the vet today thinking she was gonna have to have an emergency surgery, but the good news is she was given antibiotics and sent home. They think she has systic ovaries (sp?). So hopefully the antibiotics will help and once she's better she gets to go in for her surgery. Poor little thing!!! I'm wondering though if this problem is probably partly due to her history...they woman had her two dogs that she allowed to breed (repeatedly) and when this litter hit 4 wks...decided she 'didn't want to deal with them anymore' and took them to her job (where my fiance worked at the time) and dropped them off to whoever wanted them! She keeps doing this apparently. I feel bad for poor Sadie, she was so scared :( I'll update how she's doing...antibiotics started this morning...she will hopefully be infection free at the end of the week!

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Re: Emergency Vet Trip Today...

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:13 am

You can do a spay on a dog in heat, it just costs more because there's a little more risk(more blood in the uterus). If the vet you have now won't do it,(after her infection is gone) then you should probably look for another vet that will. It sounds like this is very serious and the risk of spaying while in heat is lower than the risk of a deadly infection, since it's every 2 months.

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:49 am

oh gosh, I would get her spayed as soon as you possibly can. Otherwise it looks like you might be dealing with some very serious issues. The poor dear....give her lots of love and I hope she gets better FAST.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:33 pm

Yah... I agree. Spay her while she's in heat.

The reason you don't want to spay until at least 2 months after a heat cycle is to prevent prolonged false pregnancy, but you don't have that problem if you spay during a heat.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:55 pm

Liberty was spayed in heat as an adult - she is neurotic but healthy, and I'm pretty sure her neurosis were there with the uterus, too! :D

loye
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby loye » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:37 pm

Thanks everyone! I went to check on the baby today, she seems to be doing good so far. We're definitely gonna get her fixed! I've already talked to a vet. (a different one than the one that said she can't get spayed). I'm supposed to call back at the end of the week to let them know how the infection situation is (hopefully it'll be gone!) and then we're going to set up an appointment. That way they know if she is going to need any extra TLC to be careful with the infection. We're told it's a good thing she is 'leaking', at least that shows that the infection isn't building up :)

spammie

Postby spammie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:51 pm

Glad you found a vet to help you.
Best wishes :thumbsup:

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:34 pm

Glad you vet a vet that is willing to spay this poor girl.

Best of luck and keep us updated!

Return to “Health Issues”