My 3 year old dog has arthritis?!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Re: My 3 year old dog has arthritis?!

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:13 pm

bamawrly wrote:That is the kind of stuff I was looking for.
I have access to multiple places to get the human versions of things and my hubby is also on most of these same thing for his back. But the dosage part is what I don't know, crossover between human and canine.

It depends on the size of the dog of course, but most pit bull types fall around the 50ish lb range (give or take), so 1/2 the recommended human dose should be just fine. :thumbsup:

bamawrly
Super Bully

Postby bamawrly » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:20 pm

Thanks WackyJacki for the links, I'm sure I am not the only one interested.
And good luck with the pups Lucy.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:14 pm

WackyJacki wrote:
I have access to multiple places to get the human versions of things and my hubby is also on most of these same thing for his back. But the dosage part is what I don't know, crossover between human and canine.

It depends on the size of the dog of course, but most pit bull types fall around the 50ish lb range (give or take), so 1/2 the recommended human dose should be just fine. :thumbsup:

Not sure if that is totally correct re just halving human doses (can't find the #s to back it up right now, tho) - but I give Ruby x2 human glucosamine/chond. pills a day and x2 1000 mg human fish oil caps and 2 human vit C (tho I think Esther C might be better). Those are OK at that dose but if you give fish oil, you have to give vit E an 400 EU daily is too much, so I either give x1 200 EU daily or x1 400 EU every other day. There are charts published on the daily allowable doses for dogs....

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:32 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:
WackyJacki wrote:

Not sure if that is totally correct re just halving human doses (can't find the #s to back it up right now, tho) - but I give Ruby x2 human glucosamine/chond. pills a day and x2 1000 mg human fish oil caps and 2 human vit C (tho I think Esther C might be better). Those are OK at that dose but if you give fish oil, you have to give vit E an 400 EU daily is too much, so I either give x1 200 EU daily or x1 400 EU every other day. There are charts published on the daily allowable doses for dogs....

Hmmm good point. I suppose I was thinking from a "just to be safe" point of view.

I know some people give very large doses of vit c.

Def a good idea to look up max amounts and adjust your dog's dose accordingly.

Looks like my Boston's bad knee is becoming arthritic. She had surgery last year for a luxating patella. She healed well and her knee is not coming out again, but she gets a little gimpy after running around :sad: I just might be upping her dosage on some things.... <sigh> She's only 4!

bamawrly
Super Bully

Postby bamawrly » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:06 am

If someone has some reliable sources that they've found about dosages...please post it here.
Tons of info out there but how is one supposed to know if it's good info?

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:44 am

bamawrly wrote:If someone has some reliable sources that they've found about dosages...please post it here.

The thing is, there isn't always an EXACT amount that is "safe" or effective for a dog that weighs x amount of lbs. Some dogs do fine on high doses of vit c, some dogs get the runs. <shrug>

You're quite safe in giving half the human dose. If you feel you need to up that amount, Google the topic and hopefully you'll come up with more info. :thumbsup:

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:16 am

bamawrly wrote:If someone has some reliable sources that they've found about dosages...please post it here.

Khan is on Osteo Bi-Flex triple strength. Which is a human supplement. 1 pill 2x a day. He ranges from 53-60ish pounds(winter weight) This is the dosage prescribed by my vet.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:34 am

FBODGRL wrote:

Khan is on Osteo Bi-Flex triple strength. Which is a human supplement. 1 pill 2x a day. He ranges from 53-60ish pounds(winter weight) This is the dosage prescribed by my vet.

There are a lot of medications in pets where the dose range is much different. Glucosamine/chondroitin is one of them, I recommend 1500mg per day for the first 6 weeks for a dog over 50 lbs, then decrease to 750mg per day after improvement has been seen.

If you think about Benadryl for instance... the average 100 pound person needs 1 human benadryl... a 100 pound dog would take 4.

On the other hand, a single human tylenol can kill a medium dog, and is guarranteed to kill a cat.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:36 am

Oh, and just another fun fact. If I script out thyroid medications to a human pharmacy, if I don't speak to the pharmacist, they are VERY likely to call me back and make sure I didn't screw up the dosage. The average dog dose of thyroid meds will seriously overdose a human, I think the last pharmacist said it was 20+ times the human dose????

This is just one more reason why it is SOOOO important to use a medical professional before giving medications/supplements of any kind, and make sure if you do give supplements, tell your vet EVERYTHING you are giving them.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:40 am

Oh, and sorry for the triple post... I look at the back of the bottle of the Cosequin DS bottle, and tell owners to round up to the nearest human tablet that is readily available to them.

bamawrly
Super Bully

Postby bamawrly » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:20 am

Rather have triple post than no post.
I have always gotten better advise here than I have ever received from a vet. Thanks again.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:23 pm

bamawrly wrote:Rather have triple post than no post.
I have always gotten better advise here than I have ever received from a vet. Thanks again.

Misskiwi IS a vet hehehehe :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”