mushy poop?natural food?wellness?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
spritecann
Newborn Bully

mushy poop?natural food?wellness?

Postby spritecann » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:41 pm

Has anyone had a problem with mushy poop from wellness super5mix large breed puppy food?
My pup Garrett has mushy poop..the breeder had him on iams but because of lack of nutrients, fillers and research i decided i wanted him on a natural food, so then i switched to nutro natural and his poop was just straight brown water and since ive switched to wellness it has firmed up some but its mushy, is this because of natural food? Is there a natural way of firming up his poop?

-all times Garrett has switched dog foods its been over time and mixing the foods
-Vets says he is worm and paracite free from poop samples
-doesnt get into any trash or eat differently
-since loose bowels been giving 1/4 cup of pedialyte once a wk so he does not dehydrated

jamielvsaustin

Re: mushy poop?natural food?wellness?

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:00 pm

I hear a lot of people will add pumpkin (fresh, not canned-unless you can find it without sugar) and that helps firm up poop. How long have you had him? And in what period of time have you done these changes?

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:16 pm

From your intro, he's only 14 weeks old. 3 diet changes is a bit much for that puppy tummy.

My suggestions would be to:

stick with Wellness for the next month.
ditch the pedalyte. right now, while I understand your concern about dehydration, it's not the best thing for him. If his poops are the consistency of soft-serve ice cream, his gums look pink and moist and his skin doesn't tent, then you are ok.

Instead, I'd add either canned plain pumpkin (not the pie filling!) or cooked and cooled sweet potatoes to his food. I'd actually start off with 1/4 of a cup once a day (or 1/8 twice a day) and increase it if you don't see his poop firming up within a day or two. Once you see his poop firming up, level off the amount of pumpkin you are feeding and make a note of it.

In general, the idea is to let his tummy settle a bit. In addition, the pumpkin will absorb the excess liquid in his bowels and help him firm up his poops while his tummy adjusts to another new food.

spammie

Postby spammie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:19 pm

:goodpost:
When I switch foods I make the transition slowly
Wk 1- 75% old food/25% new
wk 2- 50%/50%
Wk 3 - 25% old/75% new
How often and how much do you feed?

spritecann
Newborn Bully

Postby spritecann » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:47 pm

i do pretty much what spammie does except on wk 3 its all of the new food
he was on wk 2 of of transitioning to nutro natural when my Garrett pooded in the vets office before his shot n he asked is his poop always like that and i said yes since ive started to switch him food n he asked which food i was switching him to and i said nutro natural and he said just stop do not transition him to the next food of nutro just try wellness, according to the vet 3 other dogs had similiar problems in the last month using that dog food with loose bowl and 1 developed some type of intestinal problem from it, vet said what nutro uses to "help give the dog less poop" is bad for them and can cause intestinal problems(sorry cant remember what its called, but on the bag it does promise less poop mess: which is such a lie), so ive switched to wellness n its been i think almost 4 wks his poop has come together its now soft served ice cream n not brown stinky water(literally)

-stool samples were taken when Garrett pooed in vets office n 2 or 3days later they called said hes healthy and what food im feeding n to change n what not.
- i feed twice a day 1 1/2 cup in morning n the same amount at night

spritecann
Newborn Bully

Postby spritecann » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:01 pm

i almost forgot..is using the pumpkin going to be an all the time type of thing while he's on wellness or just until his tummy settle's ?
whats his poop supposed to be like while on wellness? is it different then normal poop ?

spammie

Postby spammie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:30 pm

Use the pumpkin just until his stools firm up. His poo should be normal, solid looking poo.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:23 pm

First off, most vets haven't a clue about nutrition (Nutro? lol) so you really have to do your own research.

Wellness also gave my girl loose poo when she was a puppy.... but then again, most kibble did. It is rather "rich" for some dogs.

I agree with adding some plain canned pumpkin and give him time to adjust.

I assume he's been getting all sorts of vaccinations during this time, and that can also lead to loose poop. Some people will say that's impossible and rarely will a vet agree with this statement, but it can and does happen.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/frogholler ... lanco.html

Not trying to scare you or say that you shouldn't have your dog vaccinated, just offering up some food for thought.

Best of luck.

spritecann
Newborn Bully

Postby spritecann » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:06 pm

ive mixed in some canned pumkin(not the mix or pie kind) and it seems to be helping, thx everyone for the advice ill keep you guys updated on his poops lol

spritecann
Newborn Bully

Postby spritecann » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:46 am

since adding pumkin its really helped, he has good days and bad days but less bad days :nana:
thx for everyones help !!

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:37 am

spritecann wrote:since adding pumkin its really helped, he has good days and bad days but less bad days :nana:
thx for everyones help !!

Glad to hear it :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”