previcox or cold laser treatment?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

previcox or cold laser treatment?

Postby Maryellen » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:30 pm

anyone heard of cold laser treatment for arthritis in dogs? how good is previcox?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: previcox or cold laser treatment?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:40 pm

Previcox is my NSAID of choice for dogs with chronic arthritis. It seems just a bit more effective than Rimadyl, and I've not had a single dog have a problem with it. Meloxicam is good too, but Previcox is just a bit cheaper for the big dogs. I've been told you can get human meloxicam tablets for cheap if your dog is big enough to make the dose work out, but I haven't had anyone that needed this option yet, so I haven't investigated fully.

We just got a cold laser here in the quad cities, and I have referred one dog over there for treatment. They are VERY PLEASED with the results, raving after just the first treatment. Its only a single case, but the improvement was good enough I will be sending more dogs for sure...

If you can, do both. Previcox for the bad days, and the cold laser (300 for a 6 week treatment course here) together will hopefully allow you to minimize the amount of anti-inflammatory meds you need to give him. Just be sure not to skimp, once the pain receptors turn on, what pain meds you do give are less effective, so don't be afraid to be pro-active instead of waiting for him to get gimpy.

I'm assuming your pup is already on Glucosamine and Fatty Acids?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:58 am

thanks missi- its for my friends dog she is 14 and a dalmation, the cold laser treatment was $35 for one treatment, but the previcox pills were $150 for 60 pills... she needs to find them cheaper as she cant afford the $150 every 2 months..

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:59 am

oops and yes she has her dog on fatty acids and glucosomine (liquid health 5000)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:47 pm

Maryellen wrote:thanks missi- its for my friends dog she is 14 and a dalmation, the cold laser treatment was $35 for one treatment, but the previcox pills were $150 for 60 pills... she needs to find them cheaper as she cant afford the $150 every 2 months..

Can she afford generic Rimadyl? Carprofen is dirt cheap these days... honestly I have probably twice as many pets on the carprofen just because of cost alone. I've had a couple dogs vomit on it, but no major liver issues even in the old creaky guys...

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:56 pm

yes she could get generic of that.. i will mention it to her..can she get it online or does she have to get it from the vet?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:28 pm

Maryellen wrote:yes she could get generic of that.. i will mention it to her..can she get it online or does she have to get it from the vet?

The vet will have to approve a prescription. Generic doesn't mean over the counter... If her vet is OK with it, it shouldn't be a problem. Double check the prices though... some places kill ya on shipping...

Return to “Health Issues”