Flea and Tick Meds

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
MCS
Newborn Bully

Flea and Tick Meds

Postby MCS » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:08 am

After living with dogs in Maryland and Nevada I now live here in Florida, which we have found is the flea capital of the world. :clap I have used the traditional topical flea and tick meds such as frontline or advantage since being down here. I recently have seen the media focusing on these meds as harmful to our pets. I was wondering if anybody had any more natural yet effective solutions. I would love to keep my dogs as well as my kids away from these chemicals if at all possible. Thanks

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Re: Flea and Tick Meds

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:11 pm

I don't blame you for being wary about these products.

Here is an article about natural prevention.

http://www.thewholedog.org/artfleas.html

I live in IL and have never had an issue with fleas/ticks etc., so I can't give you any info from personal experience nor can I endorse anything written in that article. However, it should give you some food for thought. :thumbsup:

Hopefully someone else with more experience can chime in.

It may also be a good idea to search for a holistic vet in your area that could offer up some alternatives.

Best of luck!

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:19 pm

No advice in the way of natural/holistic, but I personally don't like the topical applications. For one, we truely believe the fleas in our area became accustom to it, so it stopped working, and two I don't like it getting on every thing. We use comfortis. It's in the pill form, and since using it (knock on wood) we haven't had an issue. I believe it was last summer when we had an IN FEST ATION! It was bad-and we were really worried because Bailey is allergic to some fleas.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:43 pm

here are a couple informative links

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/health/fl ... ntrol.html

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 177TIM.DTL

as soon as I have time to look for some saved links/info . I will post more natural preventatives for you to try

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:45 pm

That first link you gave didn't work pb :sad:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:51 pm

I don't know which is worse, a proven safe topical medication (choose from the SAFE ones, advantage, frontline, revolution) or an infestation of blood-sucking, disease carrying parasites that can take 3-5 months to get rid of once you have them in your home.

Up north, maybe I'd chance it... but in florida... no way!

MCS
Newborn Bully

Postby MCS » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:05 pm

Thanks for the info everyone.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:26 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:I don't know which is worse, a proven safe topical medication (choose from the SAFE ones, advantage, frontline, revolution) or an infestation of blood-sucking, disease carrying parasites that can take 3-5 months to get rid of once you have them in your home.

My indoor only cats got fleas in Michigan years ago. Only time any of my animals have had fleas. I may have went over board with the house cleaning and stuff, but giving 3 cats flea baths was enough for me NEVER to want to deal with fleas again!

I do frontline plus on Khan, but I don't apply it every month as ticks aren't a big worry for me. The cats usually get at least one treatment of advantage or frontline plus during the summer. So far, so good no one has had fleas!

I remember a while back someone posted a map showing flea area and when treatment should be used. I am certain I will not find it with our search not working right though!

spammie

Postby spammie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:42 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:I don't know which is worse, a proven safe topical medication (choose from the SAFE ones, advantage, frontline, revolution) or an infestation of blood-sucking, disease carrying parasites that can take 3-5 months to get rid of once you have them in your home.

:goodpost:

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:48 pm

Well, I think the word "safe" is a bit misleading. While many dogs might do just fine on these meds, there are many who suffer because of them.

Being infested with fleas is obviously not a safe alternative, either.

Living in FL definitely makes it more difficult.

Glad I don't have those issues around here <knock on wood>. But my vet sure as hell tries to sell me the products every time I go. After 20yrs of owning cats/dogs here in IL and not seeing a single flea, I'll take my chances. :thumbsup:

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:53 pm

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Postby JoeBingo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:02 pm

I live in South Alabama and feel your pain. If you can find a natural way to deal with all the parasitic pests ... Wonderful !!!

I use pfizer Revolution with good results. It really works well for this geographical region. But yes, I worry the chemicals might not be conducive to robust health.

Revolution is a multi-spectrum topical. It even has a heartworm preventative ingredient. Heartworms are a major concern around here. Both my dogs are 3 1/2 years old and neither have ever been heartworm positive. Revolution works for me but costs about $300 a year for both dogs. Seems like a reasonable price to pay.

I order Revolution from http://www.petshed.com/ and always get a six month supply because that comes with a "free" wormer (Canex) that Revolution itself doesn't protect against.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:25 pm

$300 a year doesn't sound bad for 2 dogs year round to me.

I remember when I was living in Florida with 1 dog for flea/tick, heartworm and 4 indoor cats on flea prevention it was astronomical. I finally had to stop giving the cats the treatment

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:31 pm

Wow, crazy costs!

My cats don't get any meds, and the dogs take a heartworm "preventative" about 7 months out of the year.

I look for the cheapest prices online, print em' off, then my vet will price match :headbang:

They don't advertise this of course, but if you ask them they will.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:51 pm

WackyJacki wrote:Wow, crazy costs!

My cats don't get any meds, and the dogs take a heartworm "preventative" about 7 months out of the year.

I look for the cheapest prices online, print em' off, then my vet will price match :headbang:

They don't advertise this of course, but if you ask them they will.

My dogs are on heartworm year-round because I'm better about remembering that way (yah, even the vet forgets!), frontline when its warm... but I cheat, I get 1 pet free from one company or another. I mix and match so I'm always on the up and up on what works best for me so I can make honest recommendations to my clients.

I pay for flea meds (revolution is my favorite for many reasons) out of pocket for the cats in the summer months, and I pay the same as the customers for all 4 cats. We make piddlings on flea meds, so even employees don't get discounts :crybaby:

Return to “Health Issues”