Flea and Tick Meds

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
MCS
Newborn Bully

Re: Flea and Tick Meds

Postby MCS » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:29 am

Everyone, thanks again for the info. I will look into sentry and the comfortis pill and see which one sounds better for Daisy and Oliver.

Bandits_Mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Bandits_Mom » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:28 pm

I was just doing some research on when to stop giving frontline...and this is the first I have heard of HW so is that 30 days it has to be over 57 F to need HW treatment? Also you can safely give the treatment every 45 days? Thanks for the info...I always cut off the Frontline during winter, but didn't know you could cut out the HW. Are the HW meds not good for them?

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:51 pm

Anyone have experience with Vectra?

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:52 pm

I'd way rather give a tiny dose of Ivermectin once a month than inject immiticide into a dog's veins.

The other thing with using a chewable heartworm preventative is that it has a dewormer which will stop hookworm/whipworm/roundworm (which are nasty) from building up.

I have seen animals literally die from flea infestation so I am a big advocate of prevention. While we're on the subject, I have also seen incredibly sick animals from flea baths. It is far, far better to use something that has been extensively tested like Frontline/Advantage/Revolution than to use any kind of flea dip or bath sold over the counter.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:28 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:I don't know which is worse, a proven safe topical medication (choose from the SAFE ones, advantage, frontline, revolution) or an infestation of blood-sucking, disease carrying parasites that can take 3-5 months to get rid of once you have them in your home.

Up north, maybe I'd chance it... but in florida... no way!

:goodpost: :goodpost:

I use Advantix. Maven does get a bit of an allergic reaction to it, so I do dose her the day before with Benadryl and for a few days after application. I have had far too much in the way of tick interaction this year. would rather my dogs be free from fleas, ticks and worms.

Bandits_Mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Bandits_Mom » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:41 pm

I know, I lost my first PB due to Rocky Mountain Tick disease that he had when he showed up to my house when he ran away from his home. I have always been careful but now, even more so about ticks. My dog's have never had a tick on them. This has got to be the better alternative than the nasty diseases these parasites cause.

I am interested in stopping the heartworm pills. At least part of the year. I just don't know though, is it safe to do that during the winter? I would be afraid of there being one mesquito left in my house during the winter lol.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:32 am

Bandits_Mom wrote:I was just doing some research on when to stop giving frontline...and this is the first I have heard of HW so is that 30 days it has to be over 57 F to need HW treatment? Also you can safely give the treatment every 45 days? Thanks for the info...I always cut off the Frontline during winter, but didn't know you could cut out the HW. Are the HW meds not good for them?

I think there is another thread somewhere with a whole discussion.

Yes it is safe to do every 45 days. They say 30 so people will remember to give the medication. I track my on a calender so I don't/won't forget.

It needs to be 57 degrees all day and night for the larvae to be L3 stage which is when they can carry HW. My vet said that the most recent conference she went to they said that it seems now the biggest issue is people are stopping the HW treatment to early in the year. I think I will be giving Khan's until October, possibly November depending on the temperature.

I believe that the HW treatment is not "guaranteed" unless you use it year round. So they wouldn't cover the cost of treatment if it was needed.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:35 am

PitBull-Lady wrote:Anyone have experience with Vectra?

Nope, but I've seen LOTS of dogs with skin reactions to it... not gonna try that one. The people who don't have reactions seem to like it...

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:42 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
PitBull-Lady wrote:Anyone have experience with Vectra?

Nope, but I've seen LOTS of dogs with skin reactions to it... not gonna try that one. The people who don't have reactions seem to like it...

I have heard of many bad reactions to it and even my vet told me NOT to use it.

Return to “Health Issues”