Changing color?!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Changing color?!

Postby Enigma » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:06 am

Ok, when Jaka came to my house in september 2008 he was really dark coloured, his chest and belly were really dark and that wasn't dirt, i bathed him:

He was dark for a couple of weeks, but when he started loosing his fur (he was kept outside so he had a lot of extra fur, thick and rough) and changing it to a softer, nicer one, he started to change his color to a lighter one. His belly became pink:

He's been this way for a year now, but i just noticed today that he's becoming darker again?? He doesn't have any skin issues, he's healthy, his fur is nice and shiny, he just keeps changing his color lol

Oh and i just noticed by looking at these three pics, all of his nails were pink when he first came to me, but now most of them are black. :huh?:

Any idea on what caused this?

Charlie282
Newborn Bully

Re: Changing color?!

Postby Charlie282 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:31 am

We had a similar situation with Charlie. He went from a dark brown when we got him to a blonde color now. He is part ridge back so he's still got very dark hair across the spine, reddish blonde flanks and very blonde pits. Why? I have no clue. But everyone loves his paint job.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:17 pm

That looks like low-grade allergies +/- secondary infections to me.

Pink skin commonly turns darker with chronic irritation.

Pink nails commonly turn dark due to yeast infections of the nail beds.

Does your pup lick/chew his feet at all?

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:58 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:That looks like low-grade allergies +/- secondary infections to me.
He had some skin issues when they first rescued him, but that was because he was living in his own feces. Since he lives with me, he doesn't have any allergies, he doesn't stratch himself at all, he's not itchy and his coat looks great. After september 08 when he came here he went through two weeks of loosing massive amounts of his fur, he completely shed all of his rough, thick coat, his fur became completely different, soft to the touch, shiny, not so thick anymore and he doesn't have any skin problems since then.

Pink skin commonly turns darker with chronic irritation.
Yes, it becomes darker and thicker, but his skin went from dark to pink and it's soft. :huh?:

Pink nails commonly turn dark due to yeast infections of the nail beds.
Does your pup lick/chew his feet at all?
Nope, not at all. And i clean his feet regularly, i haven't noticed any yeast infection :dunno:

I've read this: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2111&aid=425, but no symtoms match Jaka's.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:07 pm

If he's not itchy, its probably not yeast, thats for sure!!

Maybe he had pigmentation from before, and now his skin is going back to normal?? Romeos skin changes depending on his allergies, it will get almost solid black, then lightens up again in one spot on his tummy where he licks.

As for the nails, I have no idea, but can't think of any reason to worry!!

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:51 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:but can't think of any reason to worry!!
Good, i just have a chameleon dog then. lol A rare breed, too bad he's neutered :))

Thanks! So there's no reason to go to the vet? I have no idea how i would explain that to the dermatatologist... So... my dog was black, but his color kept getting lighter and now he's white... Oh i know, he's Michael Jackson! lol

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:09 pm

Enigma wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:but can't think of any reason to worry!!
Good, i just have a chameleon dog then. lol A rare breed, too bad he's neutered :))

Thanks! So there's no reason to go to the vet? I have no idea how i would explain that to the dermatatologist... So... my dog was black, but his color kept getting lighter and now he's white... Oh i know, he's Michael Jackson! lol

If his skin isn't bothering him, its probably not an issue :D It certainly doesn't look like autoimmune dz or anything else worth seeing a vet about. Do keep an eye on things though...

Even when I see pups for exams and their feet scream yeast infection, I tell the owners if its not bothering the dog, its not bothering me... after I make sure they know its not normal for dogs to lick/chew their feet :D

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:25 pm

I don't know how old he is, but nail pigmentation can increase as a dog matures.

Tully at 1 year, most of her nails were pink, which is typical in a dog with white feet:

Tully, 8 years, most of her nails now black:

The change was gradual, more black streaked through the nails as she matured, so that now they are almost entirely black. She has really good pigmentation, hence the black nails on white feet.

The skin on your dog looks like a mild skin condition, as MissKiwi mentioned.

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:43 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Do keep an eye on things though...
Yep, i always do. Thank you for your advices! :thumbsup:
Sarah wrote:The skin on your dog looks like a mild skin condition, as MissKiwi mentioned.
On which pic? The first two (taken in sept. 08) or the recent one?

Here are some pics taken a week ago:

His belly is nice and pink, very different than it was when he came here. He still had some skin problems when he came here since he was kept on a chain outside even in his previous foster home (which is still better than being euthanised in the shelter) for a few months. His coat was terrible, but it was worse when he was first rescued from his owners (who kept him closed in a small box outside in his own feces). His coat and skin cleared up completely after a few weeks here on a good diet, on a soft bed and living inside. :thumbsup:

And yeah, Jaka's remaining few white nails are getting darker too. When did you notice Tully's nails getting darker? Jaka is approx. 4 years old now.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:19 pm

Enigma wrote:
Sarah wrote:The skin on your dog looks like a mild skin condition, as MissKiwi mentioned.
On which pic? The first two (taken in sept. 08) or the recent one? .

The earlier photos, with the blackish color. On the nails, Tully's nails darkened gradually. I'm not really sure when they became almost totally black. I think it was a bit younger than Jaka, but it is still possible that his pigment just took a little longer to fill in.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:55 am

This change in skin color on the belly is a good thing: in the earlier photos, the darker skin is probably a side effect of his skin problems. Now that you've taken such good care of him, his skin has improved, and that's reflected in the true color (pink) coming back. We see the same thing in two of our older dogs--when their skin gets irritated, it can darken on the belly, and when they're back to normal, the dark color vanishes. (For one of our dogs, a yeast infection was usually the culprit if her belly skin darkened).

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:45 am

Arnold, my red nose, has pink skin from irritation, he's a neurotic licker. However that tends to stay right around the head of his penis up to his belly button. When he's warm his whole body flames red.

I do agree it's likely a small skin condition which looks like you've handled.

As for the pigment in the nails I think it's neat! and like Sarah said it's likely just maturity.

I think Tully @ 1 yr is one of the cutest pictures I've seen in a long time. hehehe

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:33 pm

Thanks!

The darker nails are not a good thing... It's harder to clip them, you don't see where the quick is! :))

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:41 pm

oh I know! Shamoo has one paw thats all white and one thats all black on the front. I hate clipping the black paw, I worry!

Return to “Health Issues”