My skinny Pup

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Charlie282
Newborn Bully

My skinny Pup

Postby Charlie282 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:21 pm

Hi Everyone, Just hoping to get some thoughts/tips about my pup.

We got him from the shelter on Dec. 11, he was just about a year old and weighed roughly 50 lbs. He was pretty thin, you could see the entire rib cage and spine but also very muscular in front/back legs and the chest. He's been to the vet 3x for skin allergies and has been on steroids pretty much non stop for the past four months. Anyway, we can't seem to get his weight up and he seems to be getting more sluggish. Here is his daily info:

Walks: minimum of three 1.3 mile walks a day. Usually about 5 miles a day.
Food: Blue Buffalo, 2 cups in the morning, 2 at night about 12 hours a part. On days were he gets extra excercise, we'll bump it up closer to 5 cups.
Snacks: Usually 1-2 good size bones, with lots of snacks and the occasional PB Kong. (About 2x a week)

He is usually crated from 10-4 while we are both at work. And is usually awake from 6-10AM and then 4-10PM

The sluggisheness seems to be coming on the walks. Towards the end, he seems to hang his head and walk like an old man. However, at the same time, he seems very discontent without the exercise. He goes both 1 and 2 very regularly, there doesn't seem to be any issues with the plumbing.

The vet said aside from the allergies everything is fine, he is just thin. We swear up and down that we are shoveling food into him, but you can still see quite a bit of spine and rib. Last trip to the vet, he weighted in at 52.7 lbs. So he's only gained about 3 pounds since we've got him.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: My skinny Pup

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:07 pm

Is 5 cups the maximum amount he can eat per day??? If not... give him some more!

If after a month of all-you-can-eat, if he still hasn't gained any weight, then you can think about a GI panel, and there are some rare muscle fatique diseases that can cause the exercise intolerance, but these diseases usually cause fatique after less than a couple blocks.

Charlie282
Newborn Bully

Postby Charlie282 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:36 pm

The vet said we should do 4-5 cups a day until he got his weight up and then back it down to the recommended amount. I guess we could always give him so more. Is it too much stress on their stomachs to give 3 cups at a time? She was add a third feeding?

spammie

Postby spammie » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:44 pm

Has he been checked for heartworms? Just wondering. Nothing else fits but the fatigue.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:47 pm

I'm not basing this on anything substantial, but maybe his current food just isn't doing it for him. Ever think about switching?

People are used to seeing fat dogs--but you are supposed to be able to see one or two ribs. Perhaps he was not walked much before you got him, and with all the walking you're doing with him, it's jump started his metabolism.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:42 pm

Charlie282 wrote:The vet said we should do 4-5 cups a day until he got his weight up and then back it down to the recommended amount. I guess we could always give him so more. Is it too much stress on their stomachs to give 3 cups at a time? She was add a third feeding?

Then feed a third meal... hate to have you spend a lot of money on bloodwork and other diagnostics when you haven't maxed out his calories first. A dog getting 3 mile+ walks a day will have a lot of muscle and burn through a lot of calories, especially if he's naturally lean and has a young active metabolism.

Are his stools particularly soft, overly large, or super stinky where you would think he's having digestive issues? Common maldigestion/malabsorption diseases will create soft, large (think great dane size in a shih tsu), smelly feces because the bacteria in the gut is digesting what the body doesn't get to.

Charlie282
Newborn Bully

Postby Charlie282 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:10 am

Hes been checked for Heartworm and everything else. He did have round worms when we got him but those got flushed out after a month. His stool is good, solid nothing monstorous, haha. I agree with the food, the vet had recommended blue and california natural due to his allergies. He does get quite a bit of exercise, which I can't recall if I made clear to the vet.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll just add a third feeding and see if that helps.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:52 pm

Do you have pictures?

If uping the food doesn't work I'd switch food. What is he allergic too?

Charlie282
Newborn Bully

Postby Charlie282 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:40 am

Yeah we've got quite a few pics.

Here is when we first got him:

These are from two days ago. So about 4 months apart for the pics.

He has definitely added weight and muscle but you can still see some rib and most of his spine.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:57 pm

These dogs don't have a lot of spinal muscle as a breed, so spine doesn't bother me much, nor does rib when there is plenty of muscle present too... what about his hip bones? If they aren't poking out, then I'd say his weight is perfect.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:10 pm

I don't think he's look too skinny at all. In fact, he could get a bunch more muscle tone once he's feeling better. Remember, most dogs in the US are overweight!

I'd also take a look at his paw pads? Are you walking on hot or hard surfaces? Maybe his feet are hurting him? Or the walk are slightly too long and he is getting tired b/c he doesn't have the stamina for it.

Those are just my thoughts on why he may be looking sluggish at the end of his walks.

best of luck!

Return to “Health Issues”