Vacc titers

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
gooeydog

Vacc titers

Postby gooeydog » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:27 am

I had vacc titers sent out for both Haley and Buster last week, as the therapy org. we're with requires either vaccs to be current, or proof of protective titer level, and I didn't want to vacc them if they didn't need it (Haley especially, with her history of skin tumor, and she's still got a knot from her rabies vacc given 7 months ago!). Bus is 4 and had a DHPP vacc in Oct. '08, Haley is 9 and had a 3 yr DHPP vacc in April '07. Haley's came back negative for both parvo and distemper, so she needs vacc'ed for both, and Bus came back pos. for parvo, negative for distemper, so he needs a distemper vacc. Also found it interesting that Haley's vacc, if protective for 3 yrs, should still be good til next month (4/13 I think), but at this point, her titer indicates inadequate protection. From what I understand, the titer level at any given time may or may not be indicative of actual protection, so I'm not terribly concerned, anyone else experienced this? At this point, I guess we'll do the vaccs, then retest next year and go from there.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Re: Vacc titers

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:36 am

Will the group take a note from your vet for Haley? I've got to talk to mine but I plan on stopping ALL vaccines on Fran now that she's had a Mast Cell tumor.

I haven't titered in forever. We ended up just vaccinating Hank last time b/c he hates having blood drawn and it wasn't worth the trauma to get enough for the titers. I only do Rabies for the rest of the crew.

TheBowie
Newborn Bully

Postby TheBowie » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:00 pm

I'm curious what others have paid for titers. I just had parvo and distemper titers run on my dog and they were $100 EACH, which seemed really high to me, but I haven't had them done in over 5 years. I seem to recall paying about $80 for a combined titer of both.

ALso, are you able to get JUST the distemper vaccine at your vet? My dog was low for distemper but off the charts for Parvo yet I had to get a DHPP because no vets carry just the distember vaccine.

gooeydog

Postby gooeydog » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:49 pm

I still have to talk to her vet, but I think I'll likely vacc her this time, hopefully next year her titer level will still be adequate, or I don't know what I'll do. I hate to not visit with her, as she loves it and the people she visits love her, but I also don't want to risk compromising her health by overvaccinating her.

Should I be concerned about the low titer levels? She comes to work with me at her vets office, and we do have regular parvo cases around here, though I've not seen a distemper case in 4 yrs there. She hasn't had a bordetella vacc since '03, and has never had KC (knock on wood), even when exposed to multiple dogs that have had it (many of these dogs vacc'ed! Hence my not doing it anymore.), but parvo or distemper are a good bit more serious than KC. If anything, I kind of expected her titer level for parvo to be adequate, as she's likely been exposed to it at least a few times in the past few years, in addition to regular vaccs... of course, I forgot that Haley's just full of surprises, lol.

I know the place I work at doesn't typically offer a distemper only vacc, but I have heard from others that they've received one.... that's something else I have to ask about, as that's all Bus currently needs, though he's young and healthy, so I'm not as concerned about vacc'ing him as Haley.

Return to “Health Issues”