Out-turned feet/East-west feet?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
N8swifey
Newborn Bully

Out-turned feet/East-west feet?

Postby N8swifey » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:42 pm

Used the search tab and looked around, but I was unsuccessful in finding a thread about this, sorry if it's a repeat. We're looking at adopting a cute 3 y.o. fella named Weasel. He needs to lose some weight, but we are curious about his out-turned feet (as I've discovered on the web are sometimes called east-west or easty-westy feet). Just curious if anyone has had some experience with dogs having this and how it affects their ability to work, development of arthritis, other problems, etc.

Here's a picture of the handsome boy

Thnx in advance!

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Out-turned feet/East-west feet?

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:44 pm

I don't have any advice, but he's a cute :inlove:

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:48 pm

There are lots of easty westy dogs out there. I'd find a straight on picture of him standing, and a side shot helpful. Some dogs that turn out are also very down in the pastern. That can be tough on them. What kind of work are you thinking of doing w/him. BTW, he's adorable.

N8swifey
Newborn Bully

Postby N8swifey » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:23 pm

Leslie H wrote:There are lots of easty westy dogs out there. I'd find a straight on picture of him standing, and a side shot helpful. Some dogs that turn out are also very down in the pastern. That can be tough on them. What kind of work are you thinking of doing w/him. BTW, he's adorable.

Thanks for the compliments - he's a lover.
Looking at a few things like agility, weight pull, diving. We started pulling with our girl and she's liking it - no competition stuff, just recreation mostly. I was under the impression that leaning him out would help and starting slow. I just don't know enough about it in general - if people recommend supplements, are against certain activities, etc.

Here's another pic, not much help, sorry

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:18 am

Neither of those pictures are really any help in showing his feet and legs. And really, since any picture will be subjective, I really suggest finding a good sports vet and talking to them specifically. My personal opinion is if you'd only get him to do that activity, don't get him, since anything could prevent the activity from occurring. But a vet seeing him in person is really the only one who will be able to give a valid opinion on his future health.

Good luck - he's cute!

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:38 pm

If the dog's ability to work is the deal maker/breaker, personally, I'd cough up a couple hundred bucks and have his hips/elbows and patellas x-rayed. That. IMO, is more likely to be a factor that keeps him from working.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:12 pm

I can see it in the 2nd photo - he has legs like a Basset or Dachshund only they are longer.
Maybe his growth plates closed too soon.

N8swifey
Newborn Bully

Postby N8swifey » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:51 pm

No deal breaker for us, we have fallen in love with him :inlove:
Having him weightpull, etc would just be recreational anyhow. Thanks for all the comments. We'll just be watching for signs of fatigue when we start some activities with him. He's supposed to be a frisbee dog too from his description, not sure about that haha!

Return to “Health Issues”