Stunted Growth?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Stunted Growth?

Postby pitsnok » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:02 am

Harlow is a year old, and we have always thought she has most of the characteristics of a full blood pit bull, but have assumed she is a mix because of her size. She weighs 40 pounds and has loose skin around her neck, like a puppy would. She is a little bit slow when it comes to training... if I could label her anything it would be 'ditzy'... Last week we went to the vet to have some blood work done because she has hypothyroidism, and we needed to be sure her medicine was working correctly. Our vet made a comment that he thinks she has probably had thyroid problems her whole life, and that explains her small stature, 'slowness', and 'puppylike' appearance--So my question is: Can thyroid issues affect growth/development? We know nothing about her first months of life. She was found when she was about four or five months old and was practically starved to death... so I always assumed it was her poor nutrition in puppy hood that lead to being underdeveloped. But I haven't been able to find any info on whether or not thyroid conditions can affect this.

Obviously we love her regardless of whether she is a mix or not, I am just curious to know what people think about this.

I look forward to some responses!

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Re: Stunted Growth?

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:44 am

I don't really have an answer to the question, but 40 lbs is really not that small. Also how much loose skin?

I hope someone is able to answer your questions.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:59 am

Liberty is 40lb, which feels tiny to me (she's oddly shaped, too) but it's not. In fact, it's pretty dead on - UKC standard puts a female between 30 - 50lb.

I would think thyroid problems could affect how the body was processing nutrients, which would essentially be the same thing as malnutrition to a degree, but it doesn't sound like it affected her size to an abnormal degree. At just a year, she is still a puppy, so nothing you're describing sounds out of the ordinary to me - she'll likely fill out and settle into her adult look gradually over the next nine months or so.

pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitsnok » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:09 am

I forget that Degan is a monster, and Harlow is actually average sized... lol
I think the loose skin is what has lead me to think she is supposed to be bigger than she is. It is quite a bit around her neck and under her chin.

Her brain development is where I really feel like she is under developed. But then again, I do compare her to Degan. Her attention span is just about oh... three seconds long, and she seems to get confused when learning basic stuff. Then again, she could just be a little ditzy, which I absolutely do not have a problem with--It's totally endearing actually!

And also, I didn't even realize she is actually a year and a half ish now. (where does time go?!)

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:26 am

The thyroid controls all the body more or less, and growth can be affected, yes.
I was hoping you'd post pics of this lovely dog-puppy!

pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitsnok » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:20 pm

Here are some of the most recent:

Love my baby girl :))

HersheyBear
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HersheyBear » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:25 pm

she's gorgeous! and there are a lot of 30-40lb pit bulls so she fits right in.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:26 pm

i have nothing to add other than the fact that her markings are gorgeous!
and i love the pink toenails

pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitsnok » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:42 pm

Haha, thank you! I just happen to have the exact same color nail polish as her collar so I try to keep them painted. The back ones will only stay for about one day so I just ignore them!

NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby NorCalRose » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:18 pm

I have to say that I am jealous! I have a male (brindle in my avatar) who is a little over 50 lbs. I was really hoping our female puppy would be smaller than that. She just turned 6 months and weighs 44 lbs. I have a feeling she is going to get bigger than I hoped. Like you, it doesn't make a difference but I love the dogs on the smaller side of "the Standard".

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:32 pm

:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitsnok » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:57 pm

I have a feeling she is going to get bigger than I hoped. Like you, it doesn't make a difference but I love the dogs on the smaller side of "the Standard".

We are lucky to have the best of both worlds. Degan totally left the 'standard' in his dust a loooooong time ago... but he is our big meaty wrestle-with-ya, clumsy lug... and Harlow is a little dainty cuddle bug who gets confused when you try to wrestle. lol

Here is a photo of them together so you can see the huge difference:

Degan is usually anywhere from 70-75 pounds and Harlow maintains her girlish 40 pound figure pretty well.

pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitsnok » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:00 pm

And another:

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:16 am

Cute! looks perfect to me!

Our Peanut is 44 lbs w loose skin and puppy ears ... she's almost 3 and people always think she is still a puppy! She has the attention span of a gnat ...

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:27 am

She's adorable, and at 40 pounds, is smack in the middle of the standard. UKC's preferred weight is 30-50#. ADBA dogs (at least in the show ring) are even smaller frequently).

Return to “Health Issues”