to run a puppy or not to run a puppy

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
blsmessmore
Newborn Bully
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:42 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

to run a puppy or not to run a puppy

Postby blsmessmore » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:03 pm

we have taken sam on a few runs to help drain her energy. We just found out that you shouldn't run a puppy because they are still growing and it can cause damage to their bones and joints? What do you guys think? to run a puppy or not to run a puppy?

User avatar
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 7375
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: Canada

Re: to run a puppy or not to run a puppy

Postby starrlamia » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:31 pm

I personally wouldnt do any high impact activities. You want to make sure not to push her past her limit and allow her to tell you when she wants to stop running or playing. You could try a flirt pole low to the ground as well.

User avatar
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler
Posts: 10361
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:21 am

Re: to run a puppy or not to run a puppy

Postby Sarah » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:02 pm

Puppies should be allowed time to run freely, but should not be taken on runs with their owners, it is too hard on their developing bodies.

User avatar
blsmessmore
Newborn Bully
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:42 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: to run a puppy or not to run a puppy

Postby blsmessmore » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:09 pm

starrlamia wrote:I personally wouldnt do any high impact activities. You want to make sure not to push her past her limit and allow her to tell you when she wants to stop running or playing. You could try a flirt pole low to the ground as well.

I wanted to get her a flirt pole, but i guess there illegal in AZ.
I ran her a few days ago and she was dragging me home. She is so high energy that we thought a run would help drain some of it for her. We walk her 2 times every day and 3 times on sunday. I will be back in shape in no time! lol

User avatar
blsmessmore
Newborn Bully
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:42 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: to run a puppy or not to run a puppy

Postby blsmessmore » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:10 pm

Sarah wrote:Puppies should be allowed time to run freely, but should not be taken on runs with their owners, it is too hard on their developing bodies.

Okay, thats what we have been hearing.

User avatar
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 7375
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: Canada

Re: to run a puppy or not to run a puppy

Postby starrlamia » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:38 pm

blsmessmore wrote:
starrlamia wrote:I personally wouldnt do any high impact activities. You want to make sure not to push her past her limit and allow her to tell you when she wants to stop running or playing. You could try a flirt pole low to the ground as well.

I wanted to get her a flirt pole, but i guess there illegal in AZ.
I ran her a few days ago and she was dragging me home. She is so high energy that we thought a run would help drain some of it for her. We walk her 2 times every day and 3 times on sunday. I will be back in shape in no time! lol

that sucks flirt poles are great! Do you have a backyard? that is probably a better option for running her if you do, just play fetch or chase... also taking her to new areas to walk in every now and again will help, new things to sniff and see are more tiring then the same old walk.

User avatar
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler
Posts: 10361
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:21 am

Re: to run a puppy or not to run a puppy

Postby Sarah » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:41 pm

starrlamia wrote:that sucks flirt poles are great! Do you have a backyard? that is probably a better option for running her if you do, just play fetch or chase....


I wouldn't play much fetch with a puppy either, it's the same thing as running with the dog, pushes them to run more than is good for them. A little bit of fetching is fine, but not long enough to tire the puppy.

User avatar
blsmessmore
Newborn Bully
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:42 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: to run a puppy or not to run a puppy

Postby blsmessmore » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:06 pm

I'm sure its the same with every puppy, but she seems to have so much energy! its real hard to drain her down so she will sleep at night and during the day when we are work. we don't want her to be bored all day. she had tons of toys in her area during the day. if we don't tire her out she does wind sprints down our hallway for 20min until she tires her self out. lol

User avatar
blsmessmore
Newborn Bully
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:42 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: to run a puppy or not to run a puppy

Postby blsmessmore » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:10 pm


00 S/C Lightning
Newborn Bully
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: to run a puppy or not to run a puppy

Postby 00 S/C Lightning » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:20 pm

looks like everyone had fun, little run, little sing and a little jump. i could barely see the cutie she blends in with the dark coutches

User avatar
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 7375
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: Canada

Re: to run a puppy or not to run a puppy

Postby starrlamia » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:20 pm

Sarah wrote:
starrlamia wrote:that sucks flirt poles are great! Do you have a backyard? that is probably a better option for running her if you do, just play fetch or chase....


I wouldn't play much fetch with a puppy either, it's the same thing as running with the dog, pushes them to run more than is good for them. A little bit of fetching is fine, but not long enough to tire the puppy.


I suppose it depends on the dog, cause Grendel is not the least bit shy about letting you know when he is tired and doesnt wanna fetch anymore, where as if you run him he wont ever stop lol. He does tend to do things ass backwards though.

User avatar
blsmessmore
Newborn Bully
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:42 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: to run a puppy or not to run a puppy

Postby blsmessmore » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:47 pm

starrlamia wrote:
Sarah wrote:
starrlamia wrote:that sucks flirt poles are great! Do you have a backyard? that is probably a better option for running her if you do, just play fetch or chase....


I wouldn't play much fetch with a puppy either, it's the same thing as running with the dog, pushes them to run more than is good for them. A little bit of fetching is fine, but not long enough to tire the puppy.


I suppose it depends on the dog, cause Grendel is not the least bit shy about letting you know when he is tired and doesnt wanna fetch anymore, where as if you run him he wont ever stop lol. He does tend to do things ass backwards though.


That could be very true with her, because last night after a mile walk she came back and still wanted to play tug and fetch and doing her crack head move outside. but when it was bed time and put her in her kenel she passed right out and slept all night. she has only done that twice now.

User avatar
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 7375
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: Canada

Re: to run a puppy or not to run a puppy

Postby starrlamia » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:49 pm

blsmessmore wrote:
starrlamia wrote:
Sarah wrote:
starrlamia wrote:that sucks flirt poles are great! Do you have a backyard? that is probably a better option for running her if you do, just play fetch or chase....


I wouldn't play much fetch with a puppy either, it's the same thing as running with the dog, pushes them to run more than is good for them. A little bit of fetching is fine, but not long enough to tire the puppy.


I suppose it depends on the dog, cause Grendel is not the least bit shy about letting you know when he is tired and doesnt wanna fetch anymore, where as if you run him he wont ever stop lol. He does tend to do things ass backwards though.


That could be very true with her, because last night after a mile walk she came back and still wanted to play tug and fetch and doing her crack head move outside. but when it was bed time and put her in her kenel she passed right out and slept all night. she has only done that twice now.


You will learn to read her cues too, I always know when I need to stop and make grendel get a drink (he drinks on command now lol) because he is getting overheated, I also can sense when he is starting to get too overworked or tired. I generally play for a little bit, then take a breather and then see if he wants to keep going. If he is actually tired he will lay down and stay there lol

User avatar
Leslie H
Moderator
Posts: 8937
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:06 pm

Re: to run a puppy or not to run a puppy

Postby Leslie H » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:31 pm

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22235

Mental activities such as training games will actually wear her out as much as physical activities.

User avatar
blsmessmore
Newborn Bully
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:42 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: to run a puppy or not to run a puppy

Postby blsmessmore » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:08 pm

we do those every night but maybe a little more wouldn't hurt. we tried waiting until she would lay down and go to sleep or relax until we put her in the kenel at night, but the past few night i just put her in her kenel and she hasn't protested.
So maybe she tired but wont show it, or i don't know what to look for yet?


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests