Almost lost my kitty-urinary blockage

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Otis
Addicted to PBF

Almost lost my kitty-urinary blockage

Postby Otis » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:32 pm

My cat Milo almost died from a urinary blockage yesterday. I got him to the vet the day after I noticed he was having trouble peeing, and was notified his blatter had tripled in size. He went under blockage removal immediately. One more day and they probably wouldn't have been able to pull through. We're not totally out of the woods yet, but he should be coming home tomorrow.

I'm looking for tips on diet and any other methods you use personally to keep this from happening, as from what I've heard it can be a common problem.

Wont' be able to check this as often as I'd like, Internets purdy expensive so I've decided to opt for the library. Don't think I've ignored it! Desperate for any info to help my boy.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Re: Almost lost my kitty-urinary blockage

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:15 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about Milo!
I don't really have any advice about food, etc. My cat has had crystals once but the antibiotics cleared that up and they didn't come back.
I hope his treatment works and he will recover for you.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:26 pm

Is he on canned or kibble? I would think raw would be best but canned better than kibble so he is getting enough fluids, glad you noticed in time and hope his recovery goes smooth, it is a pretty common issue in boy kitties.

HersheyBear
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HersheyBear » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:15 pm

I feel for you. My male cat was diagnosed with FLUTD a few years ago and has gone through three full blockages, and several partials. He is currently on a strict prescription diet of canned Royal Canin Urinary SO.

With FLUTD you need to be very vigilant about your cat's litterbox behavior and be able to recognize when he's having a problem. Unfortunately, it's a condition that has to be managed through the cat's entire life.

Most cats can be managed with a special urinary diet (Hills C/D, Purina UR, or Royal Canin Urinary SO), as well as plenty of fresh water (kitty drinking fountains are helpful). Dry food should be cut out entirely, and the cat should be fed only canned, since it has the proper moisture and nutrients instead of the carbs and filler that dry foods have.
Cats that block due to stress are sometimes put on anti anxiety medicine like Amitryptilline (Elavil).

For cats that block despite diet/medication, there's a surgery ( Perineal Urethrostomy or PU for short) that reconstructs their male genitalia and leaves them with an opening similar to a female cat. It's usually a last resort for cats who continually block and does not prevent the cat from getting crystals or infections.

Good luck to you and your kitty!

(Maus)

suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby suzi » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:18 am

No more kibble.....My boy Peanut,,,went through "gender reassignment" after blockage after blockage......Shehe's all good to go now...

suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby suzi » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:21 am

No more kibble.....My boy Peanut,,,went through "gender reassignment" after blockage after blockage......Shehe's all good to go now...

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:28 am

thank you for the info! He should be coming home tonight, I miss him so much!

The vet is going to give me the diet he recommends, but I definitely want information from other sources, as he didn't mention it being only wet food.

I tried feeding milo raw for awhile but he would not have it, he wouldn't even eat cooked meat. He does eat canned but that boy sure does love his kibble.

Any tips on what to look for with the problem first starts? After it got bad I saw he was in pain and trying to pee with no luck (eventually he jumped on my lap and tried to pee on me, definitely asking for help there). But what happens before that? I had noticed that I smelled cat pee around the house a bit, but I couldn't find exactly where he had gone.

suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby suzi » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:28 am

Smelling the oder of cat pee is a sign, especially if he normally dosen't "miss" the litter box.....Peanut would try squatting everywhere,,,and he would only release a little bit of pee :sad: ....He looked as if he was straining when he tried to go....The first time he had a blockage removed,,,the vet put him on Royal Canin urinary as well.....

Keep your eye on your lil' buddy, as they can go downhill quickly when they have a blockage.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:39 pm

He's never had very good litter box habits, which is why its hard to tell what's up. But could that be because he's had generally poor urinary health?

HersheyBear
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HersheyBear » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:24 pm

The signs that a cat is blocking can depend on the cat, but he will generally lick at his genitals a lot. Sometimes with crying and vocalizing. My cat is very vocal and has a distinct "i'm not feeling well" meow, so that's always a big tipoff for me that he isn't "right""

A cat that is having urinary trouble may also go in and out of the box, and either produce a drop or two at a time , or nothing at all if they are totally block. Some cats will try to pee in other places of the house other than their litterbox. They may also cry when being handled, since urinary blockages are painful.

Definitely no more dry food or treats for your kitty. I know there are people who will say not to feed prescription food and to instead feed a good high quality food, but as my male cat blocked while on Wellness canned, I don't take any chances with what he eats.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:48 pm

What exactly is so different about "prescription" food? I'm just curious because looking at the ingrediants of most of them they are downright terrible and nothing about them actually requires a prescription? My b/f grandma's kitty had crystals a while back and the vet up here sold her dry SD "prescription" kibble and told her to feed the canned on occansion but she can't afford $3 a can very often, I told her any canned is better than dry and they have been buying decent quality canned out of town since local options suck.

HersheyBear
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HersheyBear » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:40 pm

I don't know exactly, but I do know that my male cat blocked on a diet of strictly 100% canned Wellness. There must be some difference with the prescription diets that controls the acidity of the urine and prevent crystals from forming.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:52 pm

Canned food canned food canned food...

And if you ever notice your cat is having trouble in the litter box, get him to the vet the SAME DAY!!!!!!! Some cats just hide and you don't notice until too late.

Here's some excellent reading material:

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=1111

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:55 pm

Oh, and here's the link to the feline lower urinary tract disease article that is linked in the blockage article:
[url]http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=&A=611&SourceID=
[/url]
And here's a better article with treatment options. Parts of it are identical, but it has a much better description of treatment options:

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=&A=612&SourceID=

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:03 pm

Thank you for the info! Poor Milo had another blockage the day after he came home. So back to the vet (thankfully no charge) and he's home again. I've noticed him going to the litter box frequently, but he's not straining. He does lick himself immediately after going though. Should I still be concerned? The vet said he seemed fine, squeezed his blatter and clear, healthy looking pee came out.

Return to “Health Issues”