Almost lost my kitty-urinary blockage

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Almost lost my kitty-urinary blockage

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:31 pm

His bladder just went through some serious trauma... so its probably just really irritated right now. As long as he produces urine, you're OK... just clean that litter box multiple times a day to make sure he's producing!!

riley_23
Adolescent Bully

Postby riley_23 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:40 am

My cat also named Milo had this problem start almost 7 years ago. We took him in had him unblocked and sent home after a 3 day stay. We started feeding him the precription s/d diet they gave us dry and canned food. Over time we could not afford the s/d food so we had to look for something else. My mom found a purina urinary health food so we gave it a try. He does great on it its more affordable and we have not had any problems. Though if she runs out at all and has to get something else for even one feeding he starts showing signs right away. As long as she gets him right back on the food hes fine and doesn't have to see the vet. Both of our male cats are fed this since its mainly a problem in larger fixed males, and its easier than trying to feed them different kinds of food.
Hope he feels better soon!
Miranda

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:55 pm

Took him back into the vet because I was worried it happened again, he started screaming last night after peeing. The vet visit was free (my vets awesome!) and I got some more pain medicaiton. Wish I'd seen your post misskiwi, I guess he's just real sore.

He is not using the litter box at all, unfortunately.

suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby suzi » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:06 pm

I am not a vet,,,,all's I know is that your poor kitty probably still has a UTI. Please ask about surgery to correct the problem...You can loose your pet.....I do want to alarm you as time can be of the essence.If he is "screaming" and not using the litterbox he has an ongoing issue.... :sad:

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:48 pm

My cat had the exact same thing happen and never screamed when urinating after he was discharged from the vet. He didn't come home on pain meds. It really sounds like your cat is partially blocked with crystals.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:23 am

We've been averaging a vet visit twice a week since the problem first arose. He is still peeing blood and seems very uncomfortable as well as still on pain meds and antibiotics. He is peeing and his bladder is small, but he is still often peeing blood and in obvious discomfort. The vet thinks he is just still passing crystals. Very frustrating and been a very long road for poor milo.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:51 am

I'm so sorry to hear this about Milo.
Have you had a chance to do any independent research on the net about how to get the crystals to stop forming?
I don't know too much about it, sorry.

suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby suzi » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:59 am

Have you consulted with your Vet about surgery? I feel so bad for the poor lil' guy,,,and you. It must be hard seeing him so uncomfortable.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:36 pm

If he has another complete blockage then I think its time to start seriously considering surgery, but for now I want it to be a last resort.

I guess I should start doing some serious research

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:16 pm

What pain medication is he on?? Metacam is great for this problem... we've also had good luck with kitty cosequin, its has aminoglycans that coat the inside of the bladder.

One of my favorite treatments for cats with bladder issues is actually a whopping dose of subcutaneous fluids... dilute all the crap and flush that bladder out...

I also recommend switching to canned food if you haven't already.

MANY cats have recurring problems, and surgery is a viable option. Just have someone do it that does them on a regular basis, one every 2-3 months if possible.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:00 am

Also add some water into the wet food to help increase the water intake.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:45 am

I wanted to talk more about diet, if anyone has some advice.

My boy has been blockage free since I made this post, litter box habbits are still iffy but I guess I'll probably struggle with that the rest of his life. I feel like freaking out over litterbox use in cats is the same as dumping a pit bull because it shows signs of DA. Its just something that happens and you have to work to magage it. Anyway.

Milo is on Purina UR. The ingredients are crap, but he hasn't had a blockage since he's been on it. Its expensive, about $40 dollars for a large bag. I have to feed it to all my cats because the risk of him getting into something else freak me out.

He gets canned food twice a day, but he really isn't that into it and only takes a few bites. He's a kibble kinda guy-the higher the quality the less he likes it. I'd really like to get him on a better diet as he's turning into a little porker. I'm nervous to switch him over to 100% canned, one fear is that he won't eat it, the other fear is that he will block again on it. I'm been waiting until my foster cats leave to make a switch-so I can watch him EXTRA vigilantly-its hard to keep track of peeing with 5 cats using the litter boxes. Separating him is not an option long term-he will pee on EVERYTHING when separated from me. I only have one room I can put him in, my bedroom.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:52 am

What do you want to know about the diet??

As for the urinating... he may have some negative associations with the litterbox after his painful experience. Try switching things up a bit (different litters, covered vs. uncovered, new spot in the house for a new box) and see if that doesn't help out a little. It may take a while for his bladder to stop being uncomfortable.

It may not be a bad idea to run a urine culture either. Most cats with blockages do NOT have an infection at the start of the issue, but can develop one over time secondary to inflammation and/or multiple catheterizations.

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:03 am

Can you mix the food together (wet and dry) or add water to the dry kibble for a while to get him used to that softer texture?

As far as I understand the difference with the urinary foods is that they have lower amounts of the minerals that form the stones (like calcium) so they do not build up in the urine. Is this right Misskiwi?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:01 pm

PITtsburgher wrote:Can you mix the food together (wet and dry) or add water to the dry kibble for a while to get him used to that softer texture?

As far as I understand the difference with the urinary foods is that they have lower amounts of the minerals that form the stones (like calcium) so they do not build up in the urine. Is this right Misskiwi?

Yes, that is exactly right, and nothing over the counter will compare.

If you can feed canned OTC foods and get the urine dilute enough that crystals can't form, sometimes an OTC food will work.

If your cat refuses to eat canned, his urine is likely very concentrated, and prescription food is going to be the only way to go. Ignore the ingredients, ingredients won't hurt your cat nearly as much as crystals will, so the ingredients become a moot point.

Whatever diet program you end up trying, you should have your cats urine rechecked in 30 days to see if the crystals are gone. If they aren't gone, you may have to go to a tough love program in your house where canned food is the only option available.

Return to “Health Issues”