Dog Food Analysis Sites

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Dog Food Analysis Sites

Postby pitbulliest » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:06 pm

Wondering what everyone's opinion and comments are on these two sites I've come across, some time ago. They're updated frequently and I only started reading them thoroughly recently...

http://www.dogfoodproject.com

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com

My main concern is with 'meal' in dog kibble. The dog food project lists 'meal' as a bad ingredient. However, it is difficult to find a food without some type of meal...so, what is everyone's opinion on this, and everything else about these websites?

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Re: Dog Food Analysis Sites

Postby JoeBingo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:31 pm

I think both sites are crucial to somewhat understanding pet foods, their ingredients and how your pets health MIGHT be impacted.

If I were just starting out with research on the web, I would suggest a good through understanding as provided by dogfoodproject and THEN proceed on over to dogfoodanalysis.

I honestly don't feel that dogfoodproject considers "meal" a bad ingredient. In fact their article, "Meat vs. Meat Meal" http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=meat-meal seems pretty objective and they offer pretty good advice ...
If you feed your dog mostly dry food, with nothing or very little else added - like most people do - I recommend looking for a product that does contain one or more concentrated sources of animal protein in form of meal (either by itself, or in combination with fresh meats). This kibble will make up almost all of your dog's food intake, and if you feed a food that only contains fresh meat, the actual proportion of meat to grains or other carbohydrate sources is very low - and thus species inappropriate for an animal that is a meat eater by nature, with a digestive tract designed to process mainly meats and fat.

If you are willing to add a good proportion of canned food (or fresh meat), this is less critical. It is absolutely possible to combine a kibble that's fairly low in animal protein with fresh meat or canned food containing 95-100% meat. The resulting combination has the advantage of adding less-processed meat to the overall diet. It is also a great way to enhance limited-formulation dry food for allergic and sensitive individuals, which often is rather low in protein.

I don't mind feeding "meat meal" because I don't usually add "stuff" do my dogs kibble. Remember, Meat Fact: Chicken & Lamb are 70% water and only 12% protein, while ... Meal Fact: Chicken Meal and Lamb Meal are dry and 70% to 65% meat protein.

Therefore, if you feed a kibble that DOES NOT contain quality "meat meal" ... you essentially wind up with a grain based pet food as far as protein content, in spite of the fact that "Meat" may be the first listed ingredient.

pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbulliest » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Thank you....that helps to clarify the bit about meal...

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:09 pm

I think they are good learning sites, but one needs to come up with their own opinion. IMO learn about ingredient types and what dogs need and go from there. Just a basic understanding is ok for the most part with commercial diets (ie know what ingredients are good and which are bad, know what the analysis means). Though if you dont want to get that involved both of those sites basically agree on the top foods which is pretty safe.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:32 pm

I look on both sites when researching foods. My favorite thing about both of those sites is that I can look up ingredients and analysis of a bunch of different foods from that site without having to hunt and peck through each individual manufacturer's website.

That being said, I did find some of the guaranteed analysis numbers didn't match from the Dog Food Project page to the manufacturer's website for Wellness Core Ocean – so like everything else found on the web – it never hurts to double check what you find.

I think they're both useful but I wouldn't recommend or run out and buy a kibble just because it's rated as 6-stars or "the best" from either site. Each dog has their particular needs and that ultimately involves some trial and error. The information I get from both sites has helped me narrow down which foods I want to check out and which foods I ignore altogether.

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Postby JoeBingo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:45 pm

Remember too that the consensus about kibble is that it is the worst way to feed a dog in terms of whats available. It shouldn't come as a surprise considering kibble is the most processed of all pet food products.

Is that to say that kibble is bad for a dog ... nope. Have there been many dogs live long healthy ... even 15+, 20+ quality years on kibble, including "crap" kibble ... yep.

All I'm saying is that there is a consensus that says there are better ways to feed. If I had my choice and knew what I was doing, I would feed B.A.R.F. or a prey model diet.

As it is, I choose kibble and those two sites have helped immeasurably in my choices of kibble products. I think starrlamia and mtlu made EXCELLENT points about it.

Return to “Health Issues”