Tripe that won't make me vomit

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Re: Tripe that won't make me vomit

Postby ProudMommy77 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:31 am

In my adventures with feeding tripe, I have discovered, there is just no way getting around that smell. I think the can doesn't smell as horrible as the fresh stuff, but it still stinks, just not as bad.

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:54 am

ProudMommy77 wrote:In my adventures with feeding tripe, I have discovered, there is just no way getting around that smell.

Yep.

My whole life I've been repulsed by menudo (the food, not the band) because it reminded me of my goats' cud. I had such specific and strong memories associated with it that the thought of eating it just repulsed me, but you just have to get over it for your dogs' sake.

Instead of running away, you've just gotta dive in. The stuff FransterDoo posted is great : http://www.greentripe.com
When frozen, it tends to small a little less, but it still smells pretty bad lol

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:11 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:I haven't dared to find/try fresh (or frozen fresh) tripe BUT it i smy understanding htat the canned, which I do buy, is monumentally better and less stinky - so quit while you are ahead! :)

Just to clarify - I dd not mean 'better' in better product - as the fresh is best, but I meant better smelling (if that's really even possible).

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:29 pm

pacopoe wrote:
Instead of running away, you've just gotta dive in. The stuff FransterDoo posted is great : http://www.greentripe.com
When frozen, it tends to small a little less, but it still smells pretty bad lol

They have awesome new t-shirts that say "No Guts, No Glory". Too bad they are white so I could never wear them to a flyball tournament. I'd be filthy looking before Noon.

Ana- we have a group of friends that buy in bulk from GT to get a discount. I'd be happy to introduce you. It's every few months and pick-up is in North Oakland/South Berkeley.

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:33 pm

FransterDoo wrote:Ana- we have a group of friends that buy in bulk from GT to get a discount. I'd be happy to introduce you. It's every few months and pick-up is in North Oakland/South Berkeley.

Count me in! My current freezer space is much smaller then before but I can fit a few chubs for sure.

**resume topic**

Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shanda » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:07 pm

Funny, "no guts no glory" is what I was muttering to myself just a little while ago as I made Ruadh's dinner. I didn't even catch the pun. lol blech...

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:09 pm

Tripe is pretty damn disgusting...

I started feeding whole rabbits a few weeks ago. Stella loves them. But once the guts are opened up.... oh my Lord the smell...... :yucky:

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:19 pm

WackyJacki wrote:I started feeding whole rabbits a few weeks ago. Stella loves them. But once the guts are opened up.... oh my Lord the smell...... :yucky:

That used to happen with me, but it was because I was feeding rabbits that were too large. They were also causing horrid gas. When I downsized the rabbits to an appropriate size, the gas stopped and the dogs ate the rabbits whole. No guts were spilled or slowly eaten to stink.

But, if you have a dainty/messy or slow eater, I think it's going to stink anyway :)
My dogs start at the head and just keep crunching until they're at the back feet, then it's bye-bye bunny lol

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:20 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:
WackyJacki wrote:I started feeding whole rabbits a few weeks ago. Stella loves them. But once the guts are opened up.... oh my Lord the smell...... :yucky:

That used to happen with me, but it was because I was feeding rabbits that were too large. They were also causing horrid gas. When I downsized the rabbits to an appropriate size, the gas stopped and the dogs ate the rabbits whole. No guts were spilled or slowly eaten to stink.

But, if you have a dainty/messy or slow eater, I think it's going to stink anyway :)
My dogs start at the head and just keep crunching until they're at the back feet, then it's bye-bye bunny lol

Hahaha well I do feed them semi frozen, so there's no "spillage" so to speak. No bloody mess or anything. I just light a couple of candles lol

The bunnies are about 1-2lbs each, which is just the right sized meal for Stella.

She also starts at the head and crunches through it like a wood chipper lol

Fiona will only eat the pinkies.... brat.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:42 am

Oh lawd, tripe is just nasty!! The smell! UGH! And to think my husband eats a Mexican soup called menudo that has tripe in it! :eek:

Return to “Health Issues”