Tick prevention with Revolution

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Tick prevention with Revolution

Postby IloveBlu » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:10 am

Do you trust Revolution for tick prevention, even in tick season? My vet does. But I'm not so sure.
Blu gets Revolution but I'm wondering if he needs something in addition for ticks. I just pulled a tick out of him last night.

Kirs
Newborn Bully

Re: Tick prevention with Revolution

Postby Kirs » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:36 am

My vet suggested that we add a tick collar into the mix- especially since we do a fair bit of hiking and whatnot with Gus. I imagine it would depend on how prevelant ticks are in your area and how often the pup goes off the beaten path.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:19 am

Heer is the opinion of another vet:

Are the top-spot products we're using safe for our pets?

New research indicates ABSOLUTELY NOT!
Ticks and fleas are an 'all-too-common-problem' in our dogs and cats. To make matters worse, ticks can carry serious diseases with Lyme disease being the one most commonly known.

It's in our pet's best health interests to prevent them from getting ticks and fleas. Yet the methods we use to prevent this may have their own adverse health effects which can be even more serious than the problems we are preventing.

Despite advertising claims to the contrary..... our well known and commonly used topical treatments actually do contain pesticides that do indeed enter our pets' internal organs and are found to eventually be eliminated in their feces and urine (after traveling though their internal organs!).

Additionally, children and adults that interact closely with pets who have been treated with these chemicals can also be affected by the toxins.

All flea and tick products are made up of "active" and " inert" ingredients. The active ingredients target and kill fleas- but some of the inert ingredients are also toxic, although the word suggests that they're safe. Unfortunately, all the "active" ingredients in the spot-on preparations have been linked to serious health effects in laboratory animals.

For instance, Dr. Dobozy of the EPA's Pesticide Division states that the fipronil in the (Frontline) formulations for pets " is a persistent chemical that has the potential for nervous system and thyroid toxicity after long term exposure at low dosages." Laboratory health effects include thyroid cancer and altered thyroid hormones, liver toxicity, kidney damage, convultions, whining, barking, crying, loss of appetite, incoordination, reduced fertility, fetus mortality, smaller offspring, loss of hair at or beyond the application site, moist inflammation, chemical burn and itching.

Veterinarians, like myself, have been told that Frontline is not absorbed into your dog or cat's system. In fact, many years ago this fact made me a proponent of Frontline. I was told it stayed on the surface of your pet's skin within the oil glands and, of course, Lyme disease can easily become a life threatening disease. Therefore, a simple spot-on product which was effective in deterring fleas and ticks that was limited to the skin's surface was a welcome tool.

Merial's web site states the fipronil is absolved into the skin and that the sebaceous glands (oil glands) provide a natural reservoir. It creates the impression that the product does not migrate into your pet's body. Yet Dr. Dobozy's study showed that a significant amount of radio-labeled fipronil was found in various organs and fat and was also excreted in their urine and feces. So much for Frontline limiting it's range only to the skin of dogs and cats. My colored glasses have turned into 3-D glasses and my perspective has changed.

Are the top spot products we are using safe for our pets?
With this new and well-documented information I simply cannot recommend this product anymore. . Flea and tick control has become a double-edgedsword. I'm sure glad DeservingPets http://www.deservingpets.com/ carries Ticked Off, a totally safe alternative for flea and tick prevention in dogs. It's also useful for quite a few other things, too.

Tune into my blog at http://dogandcatvitamins.com/and let me your experiences with top-spot products. There are many articles and videos on feline viral diseases. As springtime is here allergies will be the next HOT TOPIC. You can also order free samples of vitamins and get on my FACEBOOK and TWITTER. Hope to meet up with you there! Just click on the link

© 2010 DOCTORDEVA

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:32 am

The problem with Revolution is that the tick actually has to bite your dog for the selamectin to work AND it can take a couple of days for the tick to fall off.

You could use Advantix, which kills ticks on contact, BUT be very cautious if you also have cats as well because this product is extremely toxic to cats and being exposed either topically or by ingestion to even a small amount is fatal.

Here (Guelph, ON) ticks are fairly common but lyme disease is not so I feel safe using Revolution on my guys.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:42 pm

Revolution is terrible for ticks... its only labeled for one species of tick, and this may or may not be a species of concern in your area.

If you live in an area with a lot of lyme disease like I do, then tick prevention is essential. I recommend preventick collars for use with revolution, this way you aren't doubling up on anything (flea prevention etc.) although advantix is an excellent tick killer/repellent.

Also, new information has come to my attention this week, Frontline is only 97% effective for tick prevention at 28 days, so its ESSENTIAL that you don't wait more than 30 days between doses. The effectiveness for tick prevention does decrease over time.

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:51 pm

I am interested in the ticked off - but can't see any ingredients?

If it really keeps mosquitoes away then would we still need to give heart worm protection?

I have used revolution for the past 6 years and have not had a problem with ticks or fleas. Living in MI in the country with all the Deer around, makes me think that Revolution does work on ticks.

I hate giving our dogs pesticides but at the same time, would be so concerned about the risk of heart worms or Lyme disease without them.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:47 pm

ClickNtreat wrote:I am interested in the ticked off - but can't see any ingredients?

If it really keeps mosquitoes away then would we still need to give heart worm protection?

I have used revolution for the past 6 years and have not had a problem with ticks or fleas. Living in MI in the country with all the Deer around, makes me think that Revolution does work on ticks.

I hate giving our dogs pesticides but at the same time, would be so concerned about the risk of heart worms or Lyme disease without them.

The only topical I know of that repels mosquitos is the pyrethrin family, and even Advantix loses repelling activity after about 3 weeks... making it a poor choice when defending against a deadly disease.

Also, just because you aren't seeing ticks doesn't mean they aren't there. Pinhead sized larval ticks can also transmit lyme disease.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:04 pm

What do you think about the lyme vaccine?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:11 pm

dogs4jen wrote:What do you think about the lyme vaccine?

Its 98% effective with a completely different mechanism of action from tick preventatives... so for heavily exposed animals, I think doubling up is important. I only recommend it for exposed animals however, like any lifestyle vaccine, if the dog never touches tall grass, then less vaccines are better.

Now that I'm out in the country, my dogs will be getting lyme vaccines soon. We have had 2 positive lyme tests at our clinic already this year in dogs that were treated with Frontline all summer last summer. Nothing is 100%, and if you're in a lyme heavy area (we had 40 positive dogs last year at my clinic) I recommend the vaccine for sure.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:57 am

I'm not overly happy with Revolution application wise either--it is hell get it in between his short fur, leaves a huge greasy mark on his hair, and often times drips down onto the floor. But Frontline was similar.

I'm trying to devise the best course of action for the summer without doubling up or going overboard on his system. He itches with tick collars. My vet also won't give the lyme vaccine.

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:39 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
The only topical I know of that repels mosquitos is the pyrethrin family, and even Advantix loses repelling activity after about 3 weeks... making it a poor choice when defending against a deadly disease.

Also, just because you aren't seeing ticks doesn't mean they aren't there. Pinhead sized larval ticks can also transmit lyme disease.

Eww did not know that pinhead ticks transmit lymes. Thanks for the info.

Would you recommend the ticked off? Or use a tick collar instead?

Meaghan Edwards
Addicted to PBF

Postby Meaghan Edwards » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:37 pm

I personally haven't had a problem since we've been using Revolution. We started to use it one year when Hamish had a bad time with them.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:20 pm

ClickNtreat wrote:
Would you recommend the ticked off? Or use a tick collar instead?

I don't recommend any product that doesn't list active ingredients. Since the product is not recommended for cats, it probably contains either pyrethrin (all natural, but essentially the same as advantix) or essential oils which can also cause some serious side effects in dogs. Even better yet, none of these ingredients have been shown to be as effective as the topicals (no studies showing that 100 of 100 ticks died within 24 hours at day 1, 14, and 97 of 100 died within 24 hours on day 28 after application like you have with Frontline, advantix and the like) and I very much doubt they've had studies on their effects on the thyroid gland... so really, ignorance is bliss... so it must be better right!! Heavy on the sarcasm...

I REALLY love that this product also claims to cure mange, fungal infections, and even has antibacterial properties strong enough to cure hot spots!!! Any product with these outrageous claims without scientific proof should be avoided.

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:47 am

I am considering swapping to Interceptor & frontline plus or advantix. Any thoughts on which is better in the tick department & flea dept.

Not that we have ever had any problems with Revolution, I just did not know that there was a chance they might get lymes on it. After losing one dog this year to surgery, my heart can't take another dog loss in the next few years. Especially to something that could be prevented.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:21 am

I don't have any thoughts on the fleas... I like advantix better for ticks, but just like frontline you HAVE to be religious about application, it wears off towards the end of the month. Advantix is REALLY greasy though, so I pick and choose what I use on my pups based on the environment... if we go camping, i might use advantix for a month, otherwise I go with frontline, advantix is just too greasy for me.

Return to “Health Issues”