Which Dry Food For Large Breed Puppy?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Nanci
Newborn Bully

Which Dry Food For Large Breed Puppy?

Postby Nanci » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:55 am

Hi! So my friends got a 9 week old lab puppy. They are feeding him, on their vet's recommendation, Purina. The vet told them "any company that does research will provide a good food." I feed Bella (adult pit) TOTW, and love it. I read the Can I feed my puppy TOTW? thread, and got some good info, but was looking for more of a consensus of what say the top three foods are that you guys would recommend for a large breed puppy. Thanks!

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: Which Dry Food For Large Breed Puppy?

Postby starrlamia » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:36 pm

Top foods are really a matter of opinion and what works with the dog.
They need to determine their price point and whether they want high protein/grain free/or not.
Personally I like high protein foods, orijen, wellness core etc.
For a pup and not sure about protein content, wellness, Acana, orijen
They definately want something in a large breed puppy formula, and they need to get versed in the appropriate calcium/phosphorous ratio for a large breed pup and base their choice on that.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:37 pm

Large breed food is less than 1.2% calcium, greater than 25% protein, and as close to 10% fat as possible (most are closer to 12%) and make sure they know to do their best not to overfeed their pup. The whole point of large breed food is SLOW growth, and no, you won't stunt the puppies growth.

Anything beyond that is just like starrlamania said, price, accessibility, and how well does that individual dog do on it. You can find junk foods that meet the above criteria, but its even harder to find a super-premium to fit the large breed criteria, they're just too dense in nutrients to provide appropriate slow puppy growth, and the younger the puppy, the more important it is to feed a large breed food to a large breed dog. So read the labels carefully, "large breed" is not a regulated term, so a food can say large breed without meeting the criteria necessary for best growth.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:26 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Large breed food is less than 1.2% calcium, greater than 25% protein, and as close to 10% fat as possible (most are closer to 12%) and make sure they know to do their best not to overfeed their pup. The whole point of large breed food is SLOW growth, and no, you won't stunt the puppies growth.

Anything beyond that is just like starrlamania said, price, accessibility, and how well does that individual dog do on it. You can find junk foods that meet the above criteria, but its even harder to find a super-premium to fit the large breed criteria, they're just too dense in nutrients to provide appropriate slow puppy growth, and the younger the puppy, the more important it is to feed a large breed food to a large breed dog. So read the labels carefully, "large breed" is not a regulated term, so a food can say large breed without meeting the criteria necessary for best growth.

Thanks! I can never remember those darn ratios!

Nanci
Newborn Bully

Postby Nanci » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:08 pm

Thanks a lot, you guys!

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:11 pm

We feed our dogs Orijen and they love it. Our pittie pup is on the large breed formula - I wrote it Orijen to ask which one to give her, because we did not know how large her parents are, as she was hand reared:

"Thank you for your email.

You might want to try feeding the ORIJEN Large Breed Puppy formula. The ingredients in the two puppy formulas are very similar, but the calorie content and distribution vary considerably. When you have a large breed dog you want to be concerned with controlling their rate of growth. You do not want them to grow so fast that the bones and joints do not have the time necessary to develop correctly.

If you look at the calorie content and distribution of the ORIJEN Large Breed Puppy formula you will see that in this formula there are 450 calories per cup and 50% of the calories come from protein, 25% from fruit and veg, and 25% from fat. The regular puppy formula has 480 calories per cup with 40% of the calories from protein, 20% from fruit and veg, and 40% from fat.

So the Large Breed Puppy has fewer calories and less of the calories come from fat and more from protein. This helps to control growth and support the development of lean muscle mass. If possible, I would keep your puppy on the Large Breed Formula.

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to write back.

Best Regards,

Bonnie

Customer Service

Champion Petfoods LP

p 780.939.6888

f 780.939.6858"

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:41 pm

ClickNtreat wrote:If you look at the calorie content and distribution of the ORIJEN Large Breed Puppy formula you will see that in this formula there are 450 calories per cup and 50% of the calories come from protein, 25% from fruit and veg, and 25% from fat. The regular puppy formula has 480 calories per cup with 40% of the calories from protein, 20% from fruit and veg, and 40% from fat.

25% from fat is still nearly double what I would consider acceptable. Yes, its a huge step in the right direction compared to the regular formula, which is why its called large breed (remember how I mentioned there is no standard criteria for labeling), but it doesn't even come close to meeting the criteria set by nutritionists based on numerous studies. There are too many calories, and too many calories from fat. This is an extremely dense food for a large breed puppy, and unless the owners are willing to feed VERY strict portions, which most puppy owners don't, its not an ideal choice.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:44 pm

The Orijen large breed also has a MINIMUM of 1.5% calcium, maximum of 1.7%, while recommended calcium is actually 0.8%-1.2%... so once again, Orijen can't manage to cut back and still feel like a super-premium... its dang near impossible for a grain-free food to meet the needs of an "ideal" large breed food.

spritecann
Newborn Bully

Postby spritecann » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:51 pm

don't want to ruin the tread but When should large breed puppy food be switched to adult food?
im guessing this might also be on nanci's mind also

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:01 am

Innova Large Breed Puppy Food is pretty darn close to the guidelines MissKiwi gives.

Guaranteed Analysis describes the nutrient content required by AAFCO labeling standards to be identified on every product package. Since these are guarantees, pet food manufacturers work to formulate diets that meet or exceed the minimum requirements. For more information, read our GA FAQ's.
Crude Protein (min) 24 %
Crude Fat (min) 12 %
Crude Fiber (max) 4 %
Moisture (max) 10 %
Linoleic Acid (Omega-6 Fatty Acid) (min) 2.5 %
Calcium (max) 0.9 %
Phosphorus (min) 0.7 %
Vitamin E (min) 300 IU/kg
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) (min) 500 mg/kg
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min) 0.5 %
Total Microorganisms (min) 90000000 CFU/lb
DHA plus EPA 0.1 (min) %

Calorie Content:
3,566 kcal/kg
367 kcal/cup

from http://www.innovapet.com/product_line.asp?id=1259

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:29 am

spritecann wrote:don't want to ruin the tread but When should large breed puppy food be switched to adult food?
im guessing this might also be on nanci's mind also

When maximum height has been achieved... so for a 50-60 pound pit, this could be 8-9 months, for a labrador, 12 months, for a great dane, 14-18 months.

Nanci
Newborn Bully

Postby Nanci » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:59 am

Thank you for all the additional info!

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:41 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:
25% from fat is still nearly double what I would consider acceptable. Yes, its a huge step in the right direction compared to the regular formula, which is why its called large breed (remember how I mentioned there is no standard criteria for labeling), but it doesn't even come close to meeting the criteria set by nutritionists based on numerous studies. There are too many calories, and too many calories from fat. This is an extremely dense food for a large breed puppy, and unless the owners are willing to feed VERY strict portions, which most puppy owners don't, its not an ideal choice.

How about if we give her every meal of half large breed Orijen and half fresh boiled chicken breast & rice? Our adult dogs have all done wonderfully on Orijen, I thought we were buying her the very best :(

I ordered 4 big bags of it - because I can't purchase it locally.

Our adult dogs all look & feel fantastic on the orijen adult formula.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:18 am

ClickNtreat wrote:How about if we give her every meal of half large breed Orijen and half fresh boiled chicken breast & rice? Our adult dogs have all done wonderfully on Orijen, I thought we were buying her the very best :(

I ordered 4 big bags of it - because I can't purchase it locally.

Our adult dogs all look & feel fantastic on the orijen adult formula.

Unbalancing the diet with a 50% unbalanced diet isn't going to help sadly...

How old is your pup and how big is she going to be as an adult? If she's only going to be 50-60 lbs as an adult, or if she's already mostly grown, then the large breed puppy food isn't going to be as beneficial as if she was 9 weeks, or going to be over 60 lbs. Its all about the individual, so whats best for you could be much different than what I recommended for the 9 week lab puppy.

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:11 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:

Unbalancing the diet with a 50% unbalanced diet isn't going to help sadly...

How old is your pup and how big is she going to be as an adult? If she's only going to be 50-60 lbs as an adult, or if she's already mostly grown, then the large breed puppy food isn't going to be as beneficial as if she was 9 weeks, or going to be over 60 lbs. Its all about the individual, so whats best for you could be much different than what I recommended for the 9 week lab puppy.[/quote]

She is 13 weeks old and weighs 20.5lbs. She was abandoned with her littermates at 4.5 weeks old when her owners were evicted out of there mobile home. They said her mom was 50lb and her dad was 70lbs. A local pit bull rescue place took them in and fed them purina puppy chow - we adopted her at 9 weeks old and she weighed 13.5lbs. Our vet expects her to be around 60lb's as an adult.

She will not be a short wide pit from the look of her now.

Return to “Health Issues”