heat & puppy ?s

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

heat & puppy ?s

Postby ilikelily » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:58 am

so, I never thought I would have a dog in heat at my house.... but I do. There is also a rule here that we only take in the seniors.... but the foster is just a puppy (the guesses are that she is about one year old). So this is all new territory for me, and I have some questions:

she peed like 14 times yesterday and pooped 5 times- I assume that's normal and I just need to be taking her out more?

yesterday I stared seeing drops of blood here and there, which is totally no problem- floors are tile. Is it going to continue as a few drops or should I get diapers on the way home?

is howling related to being in heat?

how long does the heat visibly last? I have been told up to 2 weeks.
I was also told that the cycle actually lasts longer, past the visible part- would that mean that she should not be introduced to other dogs until the full cycle is over?

She is going to the vet in the next few days, but I want answers now! roflmao

Leslie H

Re: heat & puppy ?s

Postby Leslie H » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:02 pm

3 weeks sadly, not two. Soleil's in heat now, she's wearing her toddler Pull Ups. If your pup is small enough, you can buy PullUps by weight. The bleeding will likely increase, sorry. Females typically ovulate around days 12-14 in the cycle, but I know of dogs fertile on day 5, and day 19, so no access to males.
The non-stop peeing is typical, some females get moody or squirrelly too.

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:16 am

three weeks!!! just kidding, it's cool, three weeks it is then- can't change nature

It's funny because most of my 'dog contacts' are rescue related and they have no experience with a dog in heat- and obviously I have no idea what I am doing. lol So, thank you very much Leslie H!

No worries about her not having access to males. She is so freaked that she is not enjoying walks at all, so I think it's just going to be backyard play sessions for a while (and sadly there are no longer any male dogs here).

I have a foster home lined up for her (which includes two dogs) but I am thinking it's just best for her to wait out the heat cycle her before doing any meet and greets.

Good to know about the peeing- I had a feeling. She has been totally mellow minus the howling, but good to know that if her mood changes to at least partially blame it on the heat cycle and hormones.

Thanks again Leslie H.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:35 pm

No problem. My girls don't change much temperamentally, but I know of a few that were very PMS like in crankiness and intolerance, or funny about being touched, or horny, or flighty. Just too much hormonal flux.

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:42 pm

My girl Denali went into heat not too long ago. She was very cranky at times, other times she just wanted attention. I brought 3 reusuable doggie diapers and just used regular pads and changed them when needed. Oh and don't forget to take it off when you're letting her out to pee! lol. Good luck.

Return to “Health Issues”