Oh, Hoss...I don't know what to do.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Oh, Hoss...I don't know what to do.

Postby Libby » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:32 pm

I took Hoss into the vet today to have his right rear leg checked out. The last few walks we've been on this week, he will step step carry, step step carry, and then it would seem to get stuck when it was extended behind him, and he'd kick it real hard to bring it back up.

I also noticed the tumor on his elbow has come back, and its a bit larger than it was the first time.

Anyway, he has a partially torn ACL in the right rear leg, and the vet suspects a luxating patella in the left rear. He also thinks its likely Hoss will have hip dysplasia. I'm getting x-rays done on Tuesday of next week.

About a month ago I upped Hoss's Gabapentin intake. He was only taking one Gabapentin 300 a day, but just over a month ago he started moaning at night again. So I started giving him two a day. It seemed to help for a while, but only so long as we didn't do anything. No walks, no runs, nothing but sit around the house. If we go on our daily walk, which is only about a mile, and really slow and easy, he would be hurting by the time we got home.

There are other pain management options, but I don't want Hoss to be out of his head from the drugs. I want him functioning and alert, able to enjoy life. Right now, while he is happy, he is hurting.

I spoke with my vet about when the time comes that Hoss needs to be let go. I asked him to please, please be blunt with me when he feels Hoss isn't having quality life and is in too much pain. I'm so afraid I'm not going to be able to see it, and that I'm going to keep him dragging on longer than he should have to. I don't want him to suffer, but I don't know if I can let myself see when he is ready to go.

Just speaking with the vet about it, I almost lost it. Its heartbreaking and so sweet at the same time, but I got choked up at one point, and Hoss, who had been sniffing around in the corner of the room, turned to look at me, then came over and jumped up on me, putting his front paws on my shoulders. He buried his nose in my neck and let out this super heavy sigh and just stood there.

I managed to keep it all in check at the vet, and during the drive home. I've completely lost it. I have this feeling, this horrible, clenching feeling in my chest, that Hoss doesn't have much time left. I don't know what to do.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: Oh, Hoss...I don't know what to do.

Postby starrlamia » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:39 pm

:hug:

I dont have any advice, anytime I have lost a pet, they have told me it was time.. Just something in their eyes say they are ready.
My heart breaks for you and Hoss, you are such an angel to have taken him in and shown him the love he has deserved.

patty

Postby patty » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:41 pm

I don't know what to do, I don't know really what to say other than I want Hoss' wonderful live to continue. I can cry with you :crybaby: :hug:

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:48 pm

Thank you guys.

I just want to keep him happy.

nic
Forum Junky

Postby nic » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:32 am

Oh Libby I'm SO sorry for what you and Hoss are going through.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:36 pm

:crybaby:

oh I am so sorry, I love hoss and I have never met him.
does he also take Tramadol? I found that very effective with Nick along with metacam.....
perhpas cartrophen shots - also helpful....

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:50 pm

Before we switched him to Gabapentin, he was on Carprofen and Tramadol and he was still in so much pain. The vet told me that I could give half of the Tramadol (they are 50mg each) with the Gabapentin, so I will probably start doing that.

I'll have to ask him about the cartrophen shots. Is metacam a type of pain management?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:13 pm

Yes metacam is for pain, our little foster puppy is on it since her weight is too low (3lbs ish) to give her Rimadyl post surgically.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:24 pm

What about alternative therapies? I know that some of our clients have found HUGE success with laser therapy, acupuncture, underwater treadmills, swimming therapy, etc.

I know what you are going through!! Buddy has a chronic torn ACL that (luckily!) has stablized but she also has spondylosis and a bad arthritic elbow. Swimming has helped her tremendously by taking some strain off her joints. I also, at the advice of my vet, keep her very lean. We use Metacam, which I have found better success with than deramax or previcox.

My heart goes out to you and Hoss. Aging sucks!

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:40 pm

Hoss is only five :( He has osteosarcoma, and arthritis in both elbows.

We just keep finding more and more problems going on in the poor boy, and it makes it so much harder, KNOWING what is wrong and knowing that it has to hurt so bad, and yet most days he just goes along, happy as a clam.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:00 pm

Oh I'm so sorry :( osteosarc is the devil. My thoughts are with you and Hoss :hug:

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:18 pm

metacam is an anti-inflammatory as well as pain relief, I found the liquid the best as it I believe absorbs better - I would definitely add the tramadol and dose could probably be a bit higher if need be- it is one of those things hard to od on so to speak -catrophen shots, generally a series, can help a lot - maybe a heated bed -I have seen them, was going to get Nick one before things went downhill - you will know when it is time :sad:

:hug:

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:19 pm

I second the heated bed/oat bag idea. You can make your own really easily.

http://tipnut.com/make-your-own-microwave-heating-pad/

patty

Postby patty » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:26 pm

I love your crafty heating pad idea, what great ideas!

I use a ThermiPaq that is filled with clay, can be heated in the microwave or put in the freezer for a cold application.

Libby, how is Hoss today?

Rachel&Halo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Rachel&Halo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:18 am

I'm sorry to hear. I don't have any advice either, but would like to offer big hugs to you and Hossy-poo.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Return to “Health Issues”