Oh, Hoss...I don't know what to do.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Re: Oh, Hoss...I don't know what to do.

Postby Beowulf » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:16 am

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Sending positive thoughts and healing vibes to sweet Hoss.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:32 pm

Oh hugs to you!!!! It is sad to see our partners suffer. You will do the right thing when the time comes. My heart breaks for you! HUGS!!!!

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:18 pm

Thank you all very much for the words of support.

Hoss is doing ok, he doesn't realize anything is different.

I'm kind of torn on keeping him on rest, to try to get the ACL tear to heal up, but then again, all we've been doing for a month is walking. He really, really loves his walk and acts really frustrated when we don't go. I haven't taken him since Friday, and he is really starting to show it.

On one had, I feel its a waste of his time, making him stay down and calm, when he doesn't have unlimited amounts of time left, you know? Then on the other hand, I don't want him to be in even more pain/discomfort.

My vet strongly discouraged surgery on his leg, considering all of his other issues.

What do you guys think, in regards to making him stay on crate rest?

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:10 pm

to me it depends on how much time you think he has left with you :sad: if not long, I would be inclined to make that time the most fun and enjoyable for him - allow some walking, play etc. and use extra meds for pain as needed....

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:28 pm

I'm sorry Libby. You know I've been following the adventures of Hoss since the day your Dad found him. I know nothing about pain meds.

I really have no idea what I'd do because I always think I know before chocolate happens but then when it does I really didn't know at all.

Just know that you took a dog that was broken and beaten and turned him into a loving, smiling goof of a dog that learned what toys are and how to enjoy every day. Nothing can take that away from either of you. I think he'll let you know when he's had enough.

I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:42 pm

Ilovethepits wrote:I'm sorry Libby. You know I've been following the adventures of Hoss since the day your Dad found him. I know nothing about pain meds.

I really have no idea what I'd do because I always think I know before chocolate happens but then when it does I really didn't know at all.

Just know that you took a dog that was broken and beaten and turned him into a loving, smiling goof of a dog that learned what toys are and how to enjoy every day. Nothing can take that away from either of you. I think he'll let you know when he's had enough.

I will keep you all in my thoughts.

x2 :hug:

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:17 pm

I have no advice to offer... just prayers and sympathy :hug:

Thank you for taking such good care of him and putting so much time and effort into making him as comfortable as possible.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:28 pm

Libby wrote:Thank you all very much for the words of support.

Hoss is doing ok, he doesn't realize anything is different.

I'm kind of torn on keeping him on rest, to try to get the ACL tear to heal up, but then again, all we've been doing for a month is walking. He really, really loves his walk and acts really frustrated when we don't go. I haven't taken him since Friday, and he is really starting to show it.

On one had, I feel its a waste of his time, making him stay down and calm, when he doesn't have unlimited amounts of time left, you know? Then on the other hand, I don't want him to be in even more pain/discomfort.

My vet strongly discouraged surgery on his leg, considering all of his other issues.

What do you guys think, in regards to making him stay on crate rest?

My husband and I have discussed this topic re our Ruby's diagnosis with HD --- I'm trying to reduce jumping in play but he feels we should just let her live life to the fullest (the way she most enjoys it) even if it shortens her life vs only walk her forevermore... I'm in between - that if we back off some of the heavy jumping but be mindful of other areas of exercise, that we won't deprive her of anything but may (be able to) keep her around a little longer... Just don't know....

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:36 pm

Hard, hard decision. When I thought Pollyanna was allergic to grass (turned out to be mites) and I had to give her a steroid shot every month, it was known that it might begin affecting her liver and shorten her life. I talked it over with my vet and decided that I'd rather her have 7 good years than 10 miserable ones. Nowhere near the same decision you are faced with . . . hang in there!

dawnapbt
Addicted to PBF

Postby dawnapbt » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:59 pm

I am so sorry, Libby, for all that you're going through.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Sun May 02, 2010 5:33 pm

Sending Hoss positive thoughts and hugs to you both.

I second the liquid Metacam - works amazing, imo.

I wish I could help you in your decision but it something only you can decide. I do know that for my animals - quality of life is MUCH more important to me and quantity. Also, I have always found that when the time comes to let them go you WILL know - I have spent months questioning with animals that are terminal (like my CRF cat) and when the time came I knew without a doubt in that second. *huge hugs*

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sun May 02, 2010 9:24 pm

Thank you all.

I've decided to just up Hoss' pain meds(or switch to a different type, I am going to look into the Metacam) and let him live. If his life should only be a few more months, I want them to be doing what he loves, not being made to stay down, stay calm, doing nothing. Hoss loves to go. I want him to *live*.

I'll be getting the x-rays on Tuesday, I've been dreading it.

Since the weather has decided to revert back into winter all of the sudden (its been freezing and snowing for the last three days), he hasn't been a very happy camper. Takes him about 10 minutes to come out of his crate in the morning after I open the door, and then he's really stiff. His pain and stiffness is worse than it was during the actual winter months, I think because we had such a drastic warm spell, then suddenly it was freezing again.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Sun May 02, 2010 9:57 pm

When Beowulf was having hip problems the liquid Metacam worked wonders. Hoping it does the same for Hoss.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon May 03, 2010 9:25 am

Libby wrote:Thank you all.

I've decided to just up Hoss' pain meds(or switch to a different type, I am going to look into the Metacam) and let him live. If his life should only be a few more months, I want them to be doing what he loves, not being made to stay down, stay calm, doing nothing. Hoss loves to go. I want him to *live*.

I'll be getting the x-rays on Tuesday, I've been dreading it.

Since the weather has decided to revert back into winter all of the sudden (its been freezing and snowing for the last three days), he hasn't been a very happy camper. Takes him about 10 minutes to come out of his crate in the morning after I open the door, and then he's really stiff. His pain and stiffness is worse than it was during the actual winter months, I think because we had such a drastic warm spell, then suddenly it was freezing again.

Awww man, poor guy :sad:

Hoping the pain meds help him out and that he can have some great days of zoomin' around!!! :pray

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Tue May 04, 2010 9:48 pm

After talking with my vet today, I opted not to have x-rays taken. Hoss is already on borrowed time, and I think seeing what else is going on with him will just cause more stress on my end. I already know he is in pain. Even if he does have hip dysplasia, arthritis, whatever...it wont make a difference in what has to be done with him.

We discussed Metacam, and frankly, its out of my budget. For the size bottle I would need, and the amount Hoss would need every day, I'd be looking at about $300 a month just on that. My vet suggested Previcox to me, he said I could combine it with the Gabapentin. I'm trying that for now.

Return to “Health Issues”