urinating in the house

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Theresa_M
Matured Bully

urinating in the house

Postby Theresa_M » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:22 pm

Honey is almost 2.5 years old, pit mix, active, eating and drinking well. Nothing new to her diet. She has always been submissive with males; when we first got her submissive peeing was a problem but hasn't been for quite a while. Over the past few weeks though she's peed on the couch at least four times. She doesn't stand or squat, it happens while she's laying down. This evening we were watching tv and she laid in front of the couch the entire time; afterward I noticed she had peed on the carpet, again right where she was laying. She's let out very frequently during the day. This really concerns me because she doesn't seem to notice it happening. Any thoughts on what this might be?

Thanks.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: urinating in the house

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:39 pm

I would definitely get a urine sample checked out by your vet to rule out an infection, etc but possibly it is an incontinence issue? Buddy takes stilbesterol once every two weeks because she used to stand up from a nap and urinate without knowing. But get her to your vet asap...UTI's are not fun and you need to rule out anything serious.

shelboriah
Matured Bully

Postby shelboriah » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:13 am

it's not uncommon for some spayed females to have incontinence issues. it's often controllable with medication, and after an initial period, the dose can usually be tapered down to the lowest effective dose. go see your vet, rule out a UTI, and get your couch cleaned! :) medical urinary problems are usually easier to remedy than behavioral, so just call your vet and get the ball rolling.

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:25 am

[quote="Theresa_M"] This really concerns me because she doesn't seem to notice it happening. Any thoughts on what this might be? quote]

x3 on the vet
What you described is exactly what was happening with our girl. We went to the vet with a urine sample, they tested it and ruled out a UTI and put her on incontinence medication ($20 for a huge bottle) the accidents stopped immediately and we have even been able to stop the medication since.

Hope it's something simple for Honey too, good luck.

AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Postby AriesGodofWar » Mon May 03, 2010 11:30 am

I just ran into this very issue with Aries. She is a 6 year year old female. She never had housebreaking issues previously, but noticed wet spots on the couch and else where. We honestly thought it was her licking her anal glands, but then the other day, she was laying on a hardwood floor and I notice a little puddle that was forming without her knowledge. Took her to the vet last night to have tested for a UTI and vet said her urine was pretty clean, so they placed use on Proin 25 2xday. Hopefully, it will stop the problem. I was amazed as I always thought incontinence was something only older, or at least dogs well over 6 years, dealt with.

Return to “Health Issues”