happy tail?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

happy tail?

Postby act284 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:35 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with their dogs and happy tail? or are knowledgeable on the matter?

I have a dog that I've been watching over for a friend that went to military training for the month. The dog is in a crate during the days that I work. i've suspected that the dog chews at tail because I have seen the dog lick itself in the groin area, chew feet, shake itself a few times, and rub back on ground when it is roaming in the yard.

In an attempt to rule out self mutilation through licking and chewing, I've been using the e-collar. The dog spends time in the crate when Im at work 2 days a week from 7-12, and then the other 2 days from 8-4. Other than that, I have the dog out in the yard or on walks and spring poling.

I first noticed that it had lesions on its tail. Ive treated the lesions with some success using nu-stock, neosporin ointment. But its been 2 weeks now, and the lesions went from 2 flat ones to 4-5 open round mound sores.

I took the dog to the vet I part time at and they weren't sure what it was from the looks and didnt suspect ringworm...i was given antibiotics and told to monitor. I have a recheck in 2 weeks if things dont improve.

if lesions arent gone, may have to take aspiration and test for tumor/mass

anyone know what are typical symptoms of happy tail trauma? or know of what the dog could have? id hate to return the dog with an F'd up tail to my buddy even though its likely not my fault.

I don't notice fleas. I gave him capstar, been dusting him with this stuff called Diatamaceous Earth.

Been trying to use Nu stock ointment, anti fungal cream often...shampooing in Ketoconazole and Micanazole products through advice of a dog breeder I know of (patterdale dogs though)...no luck as of 2 weeks (maybe I need to do it longer?)

will try to get pictures once a camera is located lol
act284
Newborn Bully

Re: happy tail?

Postby Adrianne » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:15 pm

Adrianne
Regulator

Postby WackyJacki » Sat May 01, 2010 1:45 pm

Could be happy tail. Been there, done that. Took well over a month to heal. No matter how I bandaged it, she always managed to bust it back open. :sad:
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon May 03, 2010 7:09 pm

At the shelter where I used to work, we actually had to do a tail amputation on a little staffy with happy tail. Poor guy :(

Fortunately, the only one who gets hurt by Buddy's tail is us!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby loye » Mon May 03, 2010 7:14 pm

Monty had happy tail really bad when I got him. The whole tip of his tail was raw and bloody. I tried bandaging and trying to put my hand on either side of his tail when he wagged it to limit the movement and also to limit what the tail would hit lmao! It worked! But I'm also a stay at home mom so i was there all the time. And he was attached to my hip so he was never too far. I would definitely try wrapping it though and good luck!
loye
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon May 03, 2010 8:28 pm

loye wrote:Monty had happy tail really bad when I got him. The whole tip of his tail was raw and bloody. I tried bandaging and trying to put my hand on either side of his tail when he wagged it to limit the movement and also to limit what the tail would hit lmao! It worked! But I'm also a stay at home mom so i was there all the time. And he was attached to my hip so he was never too far. I would definitely try wrapping it though and good luck!

that it the sweetest thing I ever heard.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Return to Health Issues