e-mailed totw (if you feed it read it!)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
RileysMommy
Adolescent Bully

e-mailed totw (if you feed it read it!)

Postby RileysMommy » Wed May 05, 2010 3:19 am

This was an old post of mine from a week ago? I figure there are others on this forum who feed totw aswell so I posted =)

So I was concerned about the Etho in the food and e-mailed them yesterday to find out more. this is what they gave me.

Dear Megan:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Taste of the Wild does not add ethoxyquin to any of the formulas.

We are in the process of transitioning to the use of a naturally preserved
fish meal. We anticipate this transition to be completed by mid-May 2010.

Fish meal is preserved with ethoxyquin on the ships prior to entering port.
Ethoxyquin is effective at preventing rancidity in the highly volatile fish
meal. Rancidity in ingredients can lead to severe illness. Fish meal is
used in pet food formulas as an excellent quality source of amino acids and
omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3¹s are vital for a strong immune system, healthy
skin and coat, controlling inflammation and even preventing certain types of
cancer.

Most of the ethoxyquin is destroyed in the cooking process, requiring other
preservatives to be used. Tests for ethoxyquin are run routinely on Taste of
the Wild products. The results are typically less than 2ppm. This is
equivalent to 0.0002% or 2 ten-thousandth¹s of a percent. This is a true
trace level that many laboratories are unable to detect. The amount allowed,
and considered to be safe, by the FDA is 75ppm.

Ethoxyquin is being used in scientific research as a cancer fighting
antioxidant. When present in controlled amounts, it has never been shown to
cause harmful effects.

Sincerely,

Melissa Brookshire, DVM

------------Also another e-mail ------------------------

Our salmon is wild-caught by American suppliers off the Pacific-Northwest coast. However, the fish is required to be preserved prior to entering port.

The preservative we have been testing is a mixed tocopherol-based preservative. We have recently completed testing to ensure the necessary longevity in shelf-life.

Regards,
Melissa

--------About Tocopherols--------

Tocopherols: Tocopherols (e.g., vitamin E) are naturally occurring compounds used as natural preservatives.
The AAFCO standards

Natural preservatives are almost always made from certain variations of vitamins C or E. You’ll see them printed on a dog food’s ingredients list usually using some form of the word “tocopherol”… or “ascorbate”. Look for something like this…
“…chicken fat preserved with alpha-tocopherol”
What you mainly need to know here is that natural additives are usually considered very safe.

mnmh
Newborn Bully

Re: e-mailed totw (if you feed it read it!)

Postby mnmh » Wed May 05, 2010 7:33 am

Thanks for this post! Good information. I feed TOTW and am glad I came across this.

TheBowie
Newborn Bully

Postby TheBowie » Wed May 05, 2010 11:39 am

This is an issue with practically any brand of dog food containing fat and always has been. There is a very good article on this very topic this month in Whole Dog Journal. http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues ... 221-1.html (not sure you can read the whole article unless you are a subscriber)

RileysMommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby RileysMommy » Wed May 05, 2010 12:13 pm

Thanks Bowie for the link. =)

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Wed May 05, 2010 1:04 pm

Thanks for posting this. Please let us know if/when they update you on what the new preservative is? And when their suppliers have officially made the switch and when the new fish is being used in the food?

I got a few big (AND HOLY EXPENSIVE, BATMAN!) bags of 6-Fish Orijin because it was the only kibble I could find that has no ingredients from China (they are all sourced as locally as possible to the manufacturer, Champion foods which is why I picked it over Natura's grain-free EVO products), produced in-house (I like Natura for this reason, too), and the fish is both fresh (not treated with ethoxyquin) and frozen (preserved with their own blend of Vitamin E and so on).... but Booker doesn't need the high protein levels of either Orijin or EVO, and I can't find Champion's other grain-free fish-based product, Acana Pacifica, around here.

The TOTW is SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive and while I am all for paying a premium for locally-sourced ingredients for my dog and I to eat (and the convenience of kibble nowadays while I have a ton on my theoretical plate!) I'd like TOTW to be a suitable option, since it is relatively easy to find and purchase as well as being grain-free without the super-high protein levels.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Wed May 05, 2010 2:45 pm

We feed TOTW. I'm not really concerned about the minimal amounts of ethoxyquin for preservation.

RileysMommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby RileysMommy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:11 pm

heartbullies wrote:Thanks for posting this. Please let us know if/when they update you on what the new preservative is? And when their suppliers have officially made the switch and when the new fish is being used in the food?

I got a few big (AND HOLY EXPENSIVE, BATMAN!) bags of 6-Fish Orijin because it was the only kibble I could find that has no ingredients from China (they are all sourced as locally as possible to the manufacturer, Champion foods which is why I picked it over Natura's grain-free EVO products), produced in-house (I like Natura for this reason, too), and the fish is both fresh (not treated with ethoxyquin) and frozen (preserved with their own blend of Vitamin E and so on).... but Booker doesn't need the high protein levels of either Orijin or EVO, and I can't find Champion's other grain-free fish-based product, Acana Pacifica, around here.

The TOTW is SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive and while I am all for paying a premium for locally-sourced ingredients for my dog and I to eat (and the convenience of kibble nowadays while I have a ton on my theoretical plate!) I'd like TOTW to be a suitable option, since it is relatively easy to find and purchase as well as being grain-free without the super-high protein levels.

well good news for everyone. I got an e-mail today.

Dear Megan:

Thank you for your inquiry.

The transition is complete. The naturally-preserved fish meal formulas are
out on the shelves now.

Sincerely,

Melissa Brookshire, DVM

very happy myself. =)

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:22 pm

yeppers, my feed store called me on Monday and told me the good news
I got a bag on Tuesday!!
thank you for posting the email/good news!! :thumbsup:

RileysMommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby RileysMommy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:45 am

welcome. ugh, I still have 1 more bag of the old stuff to go then I will be ordering my bulk of the new stuff. =)

cant wait!

Return to “Health Issues”