Procter & Gamble purchases Natura (EVO)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
dawnapbt
Addicted to PBF

Procter & Gamble purchases Natura (EVO)

Postby dawnapbt » Wed May 05, 2010 2:51 pm

heartbullies

Re: Procter & Gamble purchases Natura (EVO)

Postby heartbullies » Wed May 05, 2010 3:17 pm

Well, poop.

Soon all our non-whole foods we eat and our pets eat will come from just two major companies, maybe sharing the same production factory. Great.

pumpkinpunk
Matured Bully

Postby pumpkinpunk » Wed May 05, 2010 4:09 pm

Proctor and Gamble is a horrible company.. Not only is this a more corporate food now so surely the food quality and quality control will diminish, but they also use vivisection as means of testing their food quality. I'm not for peta (i am vegan) but they do have a informative section with some disgusting videos on what Iams does to test there product on live dogs and cats. Really sad. Guess I'm gonna have to look for a different food to fill in the Evo, Cal Nat, and Innova shelvesn if this food goes the way I think it will.. Bummer. Or buy a bunch for our customers before they probably switch the formula to poo. :crybaby:

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Wed May 05, 2010 4:24 pm

That sucks. Guess maybe I will start working harder on switching the ferrets to raw and stock up on evo in the meantime, I really hope they won't change the formula but not optimistic at all.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:57 pm

Oh Ick... the company really seemed like it was headed in the right direction while I was in school... time will tell.

BabyReba

Proctor & Gamble to buy Natura

Postby BabyReba » Wed May 05, 2010 9:19 pm

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9FGP1IG0.htm

Damn it--California Natural is about the only kibble that I actually like and feed when I'm not feeding raw. Now it's going to be owned by the same company that makes the craptastic Iams and Eukaneuba.

Evo, Innova, and Karma are also going to be part of this buy.

Did I say damn it already?

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed May 05, 2010 10:18 pm

Rather depressing to see yet another company get bought out a larger corporation.

I was feeling good about switching Molly to Wellness Core until I looked around today and saw that one of the locations Wellness is manufactured at is in Lathrop, CA - which is also where Diamond runs a manufacturing plant. One of the other plant locations listed for Wellness Core is in Meta, MO – also home of Diamond's parent company. I haven't found anything yet saying Wellness (Wellpet) is part of Diamond but it sounds like they are sharing facilities. I guess that would explain why Wellness Core is more easily available now than it was a year ago.

Is there any way to dilute the protein content in Orijen lol

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed May 05, 2010 10:59 pm

GREAT!

I feed California Natural canned to my cats. One of them has allergies and it is one of a couple things she can eat :po:

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Wed May 05, 2010 11:14 pm

mtlu wrote:Is there any way to dilute the protein content in Orijen lol

If you find a local supplier for the grain-free formulas of Champion brand's other pet food, Acana (well, specifically the Pacifica; Booker can't eat lamb!) please let me know!

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed May 05, 2010 11:32 pm

heartbullies wrote:If you find a local supplier for the grain-free formulas of Champion brand's other pet food, Acana (well, specifically the Pacifica; Booker can't eat lamb!) please let me know!

I'll keep you posted – and Molly is pescatarian as well :). I'm going to ask the guy at the pet supply store in my neighborhood if he can order it. I'm pretty sure he carries Orijen and supposedly the Bay Area distributor for Champion is out of Sacramento. He's pretty good about ordering stuff and I've seen him drop crummier lines of kibble over the last couple years. The other local mom & pop shop I checked with a few months ago couldn't get the Acana for some reason but I don't think they sell as much dog food (but they're great for bird stuff).

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Wed May 05, 2010 11:49 pm

I'll check around here, too-- I don't go to SF as often now, but would certainly be willing to deliver some bags and go on a tan-pointed walk with you and the dogs!

I am really disappointed that Natura got bought by P&G. I really liked their production methods and independent factory, and even their smart distribution rules.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Thu May 06, 2010 12:49 am

I'm heartbroken over this, and I don't even feed kibble. :crybaby:

As a side note, if a store carries Orijen, they can absolutely get ahold of Acana as well.

dragynflye
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dragynflye » Thu May 06, 2010 8:25 am

i'm really upset. my very very old ferrets eat evo, and ferrets are almost impossible to switch to a different food. i'm going to stock up and hope i don't run out before they leave me (how awful does that sound?!) the kitties are eating evo, too, but they are young and won't be difficult to switch to something new. i'm thinking acana for their kibble, and wellness core for their canned. *sigh*

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Thu May 06, 2010 11:41 am

i was hoping to just do kibble from now til when the dogs finally make it to florida with me, but now i'm having second thoughts. damn.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Thu May 06, 2010 12:21 pm

At this point, I've got it narrowed down to feeding Champion (Orijen or Acana) based on how readily they disclose information on where their source their ingredients and they run their own plant. I'm waiting for a reply on ash content in the Orijen 6 Fish and the Acana Pacifica – if the Champion distributor for the Bay Area does not supply Acana for some reason, I may have to get over my anti-high protein qualms and just go with Orijen.

** Side note: I don't mean to spark a debate about high protein levels as that has been discussed many times already here and I have no criticisms of people who do feed really high protein kibble.**

Return to “Health Issues”