Our puppies have Demodec Mange =(

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Workman
Newborn Bully

Our puppies have Demodec Mange =(

Postby Workman » Wed May 05, 2010 5:11 pm

Hello everyone,

On Friday we took our puppies to the Vet where it was confirmed that they have demodectic mange. He "prescribed" us some pills for the secondary inflammation, and infection that three have incurred.. My question is this, because we DO NOT want to give up on them. Is there anything out there that will once and for all kill these mites? We are giving them Ivermectin everyday since Friday, it pains us to see some of their swollen faces.. The vet did not want to give us the prescription he wrote out for them because he wants us to fill it in his office for $90.00... We CANNOT afford that, and he knew this.. It took us literally getting nasty with them for them to release this prescription. When I called them back asking if there may be an alternative, a generic brand perhaps? Some other anti biotic that we can give them so they stop suffering, we were told. Nope, thats the only thing you can give them. I then said, ok.. Lets say we buy this bottle of Orbax.. How much do we administer? For how long? (keep in mind this was the vet that gave them their first shots) the tech tells me, read the directions.. Its on the bottle! In saying that, we are now looking for a new vet for them.. Also, again as previously stated.. Another alternative to cure the swelling around their precious faces.. One vet suggested we just put them down, because no one wants mange infested pit-bulls.. Thank you for your help..

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Our puppies have Demodec Mange =(

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Wed May 05, 2010 5:48 pm

i know i cannot help, since i've never had to deal with the problem.

i just don't understand why you would get more than one puppy (because you said puppies,) if you cannot afford a 90$ medication. that may seem like a lot for medication, but dogs are extremly expensive......... that medication is nothing compared to the cost of the dog's their entire lives.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Wed May 05, 2010 5:52 pm

If most of the puppies have it, then it may be genetic - from breeding parents with weak immune systems. The mange will pop up any time the dogs body comes under stress, like if they go into heat, or if they're male and smell a female in heat - because their hormones surge and it causes stress on the body - causing the immune system to go down and then allowing the mites to spread all over the dog, making it miserable.

Workman
Newborn Bully

Postby Workman » Wed May 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Yes, it is genetic.. They got it from their Mother who unexpectedly got pregnant.. We did not even know she was pregnant until a week before she had them, when we found out she was pregnant we made an appt with the vet.. And, that very day that she was due in to see him, she had her pups.. We are doing all we can for them... =(

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed May 05, 2010 6:05 pm

Ivermectin is the only way to cure mange. it can take months of use to cure it but it does work. If you cannot afford the ivermectin (and have exhausted all options like care credit) I would recommend finding a rescue who may be able to take these pups on as they are not hopeless.
The vet who said to put them down should be smacked!!! Demodex is common in poorly bred bulldogs of all kinds not just pit bulls, even well bred dogs can get demodex should their immune system be compromised (my boy just cleared up a very mild case).
I would recommend putting them on a good quality kibble (if they are not already), adding vitamin c and fish oil to their diets to help boost their immune system.
You may also want to get a medicated shampoo to help releive the itchiness, I used bag balm cream which seemed to work, other people swear by neem oil.
Read through the health section, there are a ton of posts on demodex.
Definately find a new vet and find some cash to help the pups.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Wed May 05, 2010 6:09 pm

how bad is it, that their faces are swollen? i've had pups that got localized demodex, and it's persistent, but treatable . . . sounds like they might have generalized (as in, over a larger portion of the body), which is more serious.

you can try taking them to a different vet, but i'm pretty sure ivermectin is the traditional treatment, and the cheapest i've seen a bottle of it is about $50 online. but i have no idea what dose they'd get and i'd only want to administer under a vet's direction, since it's pretty toxic stuff.

i think a lot of vets are hesitant to give dosage information to clients due to liability . . . maybe you can find a vet who's more flexible if you look around. but it can definitely be costly to deal with demodex . . .

probably worth it to do a search on this board about it--i know a number of people on here have had dogs with serious demo over the years.

good luck.

Workman
Newborn Bully

Postby Workman » Wed May 05, 2010 6:17 pm

Thank you everyone.. We found some Ivermectin, have been giving that to them daily since Friday... They have generalized demodex =( Some worse than others, and right now we have three whose faces are so swollen that you could barely see their eyes.. The old vet we went to "prescribed" some antibiotic.. He was the one that refused to give us the written RX to have filled somewhere else, or even give us a RX to a less expensive bottle of antibiotic (as we have heard there are many others he couldve prescribed) but they just wanted their $90.00... Saturday, we will take them to a new vet.... We have already called, and explained whats going on.. At this point, we just want to find something to bring the swelling down..

Workman
Newborn Bully

Postby Workman » Wed May 05, 2010 6:19 pm

We feed them Beneful Original... They drink plenty of water always.. Should we switch to Kibbles? just to help them along? They are all so playful, and loving.. We want to give them a fighting chance at life on contraire to what that vet said today, that we probably should put them down..

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed May 05, 2010 6:38 pm

Workman wrote:We feed them Beneful Original... They drink plenty of water always.. Should we switch to Kibbles? just to help them along? They are all so playful, and loving.. We want to give them a fighting chance at life on contraire to what that vet said today, that we probably should put them down..

Like Kibbles and Bits? I know that you probably don't know this but those foods are both on the lower end of the spectrum.

I always fed a home-made diet to any health cases that I got but for you, I wouldn't suggest that because it can get expensive.

Some brands you may want to look into is Wellness, Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul (boy howdy is that a stupid name), Blue Buffalo Puppy and other folks may have other selections they recommend.

Also like Starrlamia suggested, add a Fish Body oil capsule each (you can find this in the vitamin section of places like Wal-mart even), Vitamin C I can't know a dosage without knowing their sizes) and plenty of fresh water.

ALSO!!!!

1) have you fixed the mom and dad yet? I understand that you made a mistakes (and hopefully are regretting it) but the last thing the world needs is a 2nd litter of Demodex puppies.

2) You said 3 were already gone? Do the new owners know that there's a good chance that these pups will get demodex during times or stress? Also, you need to work to get these 3 fixed ASAP.

Workman
Newborn Bully

Postby Workman » Wed May 05, 2010 6:44 pm

I have seen the chicken soup one at our feed store here.. I didnt say we made a mistake, we did not know she was pregnant. The dad is no longer with us, as we gave her to my boyfriends coworker, 3 have infections (not gone). We had 12 originally, three of them were rehomed (they are on Ivermectin) the owners know that their dogs have mange, but theirs dont have it as bad as ours, as ours were still feeding off of the mother.. Now, we keep them away so they dont try to drink her milk anymore...

I will get them the other type of food and fish oil, aslo continue with the Ivermectin, and their appt for Saturday with a new vet... Thank you for your help.. The Mom is going to get spayed ASAP.. We just have been trying to find an inexpensive spay program, and we finally have.. So, as soon as they have an opening we will take her.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Wed May 05, 2010 6:51 pm

how old were the pups that you rehomed?

Workman
Newborn Bully

Postby Workman » Wed May 05, 2010 6:59 pm

They were almost 8 weeks old...

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Wed May 05, 2010 7:33 pm

be extremely careful giving them ivermectin, if dosed incorrectly it can be fatal. It is how I treated a foster that I had come to me, that had lost over eighty percent of her hair. She was six months old, and the doses were very small, and it was about a six week course. They should also be receiving a anti-botic for any secondary infections. feeding high quality kibble (wellness, solid gold, etc.) helps, and a daily dose of omega threes, also a bath to get some of the yeasty build up off, i used a shampoo (can't remember the name) but it is now off the market..darn, wish I could remember it.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Wed May 05, 2010 7:34 pm

You mentioned you're giving them Ivermectin daily -- did you get specific dosage information from your vet???

Workman
Newborn Bully

Postby Workman » Wed May 05, 2010 7:36 pm

Yes, we got a specific dosage from our vet.. As far as the secondary infection, thats what we are trying to cure right now, and he wont prescribe a generic drug for them unless we fork 90 for the prescription he says they absolutely must have...

Return to “Health Issues”