Wearing Collar all the time??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
NYRgal25
Newborn Bully

Wearing Collar all the time??

Postby NYRgal25 » Sat May 08, 2010 7:35 am

Hi everyone! I am getting my pup at the end of June- He will be around 9 months old. I am very excited, but I have a question about collars. I know dogs aren't supposed to wear collars in a crate. Does that mean that they shouldn't wear them unsupervised? For example, if I have to run to the supermarket for an hour, should I remove the collar if the dog is home alone? Sorry if these questions sound dumb! Growing up we had a dog for 16 years and he always wore a collar and only took it off for bathing. I definitely want to get him microchipped, but I would be afraid if he got out and didn't have the collar on. Are there collars that can be worn all the time and others that cannot?

Thanks for your help!!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Wearing Collar all the time??

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat May 08, 2010 11:28 am

My dogs wear collars at all times. They are also microchipped for backup. I keep the collars tight on their necks, and buy lined collars that don't bother their skin.

We live in the country and its legal to shoot dogs roaming your property if there aren't any visible collars/tags. If my dogs bolt (or unsnap their chain as happened this morning) I want the assurance that they not only have a collar, but that its large enough to be viewed from a distance.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Sat May 08, 2010 4:26 pm

my pit bulls wear collars pretty much all the time. like misskiwi said- i want them to look owned if something were to somehow happen and they'd get loose. i don't expect that to happen, but who knows. yes, there's a small risk. i acknowledge that. i just figure it's smaller than something bad happening to them were they to get loose.

the border collie doesn't wear a collar in the house, um, because i don't want it to dent his neck fur. but i don't worry about strangers reacting to the cute fuzzy dog with "OMG VICIOUS MONSTER" the way i do with the pit bulls.

dr961
Super Bully

Postby dr961 » Sat May 08, 2010 10:31 pm

I keep collars on my dogs all the time, both so I can grab them if necessary and also so they always have visible ID tags with my address and phone number. I use ID plates that rivet onto the collars so nothing is dangling to get caught.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun May 09, 2010 12:23 am

I think you'll probably get mixed opinions and truly it is what you think is best.

My dog Khan has run of the house when I am not home. He has a collar on pretty much at all times unless he is drying from a bath. I worry that someone could break in or something and he could get out and wouldn't have a collar on. All my cats are inside only and they wear collars as well. I think the benefit outweighs the risk. Some people don't. I even have a collar on him when he is in our yard and I am standing right there(again...just in case). he is microchipped also.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon May 10, 2010 12:40 am

Nothing wrong with leaving a collar on all that time that is comfortable for the dog and non-tightening (martingales, prongs, chokes, etc).

However, I've always been in the habit of taking their collars of at bedtime hahahaha not sure why!! Now that I think about it, it's probably not the best idea....

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Mon May 10, 2010 3:20 am

My dogs have a super irregular collar schedule. We wear them when going out but mostly for looks. I often remove collars in the house/yard but only when I am attentive. Every collar has a small tag that says REWARD and two phone numbers but honestly I don't worry about loosing my monsters very often. Possibly this is because I am consistently on their arse.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Mon May 10, 2010 10:36 am

Nero is my escape artist/fight starter, he wears a nylon stillwater nonstop with tags on it. Jersey rarely does, she had a really sensitive neck when we first got her and everything irritated it, seems to have finally gotten under control now and sometimes we will leave one on her for a few weeks but a lot of the time she is naked. I don't really worry about her getting out and she doesn't react badly if I have to grab her scruff for some reason. Mine aren't crated very long and Nero just lays right down anyways, I'd be concerned if the dog has SA or tries to escape the crate.

pumpkinpunk
Matured Bully

Postby pumpkinpunk » Mon May 10, 2010 11:44 am

I make my dogs where their collars during the days but at night when we are done walking and are settling in I take them off. They have slept with them but not regularly at night. But for my guys to make it outside they need to run through our door, and entire warehouse, and then 2 more locked doors. So I don't worry to much. But when I am gone they are on just in case.

NYRgal25
Newborn Bully

Postby NYRgal25 » Mon May 10, 2010 5:32 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies! I might keep the collar on during the day and take it off at night. Right now he is wearing a martingale. I'm looking into staying with the martingale or a flat buckle collar. What do you all prefer??

Thanks!!

Kara

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon May 10, 2010 7:10 pm

NYRgal25 wrote:Thanks everyone for your replies! I might keep the collar on during the day and take it off at night. Right now he is wearing a martingale. I'm looking into staying with the martingale or a flat buckle collar. What do you all prefer??

Thanks!!

Kara

I prefer no buckle slides for everyday use and occasionally use martingales. :thumbsup:

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Wed May 12, 2010 12:20 pm

Collars at my house are pretty much whenever. I only have one dog though, and I think that changes things. She's also pretty damn mellow with no bolting tendencies. She pretty much wears a collar all day, not when she's in the crate, and I usually take it off at night. We usually do a 2 inch collar for walks, but I don't leave that on in the house since my poor little allergy pup gets way too itchy under there.

Every once in awhile you just gotta experience a little nakedness!

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:26 pm

We have collars on at all times at my house for fight prevention. My own dogs dont always get along and with fosters coming and going, everyone is collared and tagged.

We also live where there is BSL with restrictions and I want my dogs looking loved and owned if heaven forbid they get away from me.

Charlie282
Newborn Bully

Postby Charlie282 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:32 pm

I used to have an odd dog that loved her collar. Any time you took it off she would get upset. Charlie on the other hand does not wear his in the crate or at night. It seems to drive him nuts. We just do whatever works.

willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby willyg44 » Fri May 14, 2010 5:47 pm

We only have 1 dog, but we leave the collar off pretty much all of the time when he is at home with us. When we go out with him, or take him for walks is when we put it on. I like it because whenever I grab the collar Leo jumps up and gets so excited because he knows we're going somewhere :) Also, I just think it's more comfortable for them to not have a collar on all of the time, but who am I to say, I'm no dog and I could be totally wrong about that lol.

Return to “Health Issues”