bones..

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

bones..

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Mon May 17, 2010 4:43 pm

Titan and Denali are both a year old now. The only bones that we have been able to give them that actually lasts awhile are sweet potato bones and bully sticks. Anyone have any other suggestions of bones that would keep them occupied for awhile? We do give them Kongs but they really don't last too long. We stuff them with carrots etc and freeze them.

Adrianne

Re: bones..

Postby Adrianne » Mon May 17, 2010 4:49 pm

I find Raw Meaty Bones last longest here.

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Mon May 17, 2010 4:52 pm

Adrianne wrote:I find Raw Meaty Bones last longest here.

do you have a picture? where can i purchase these?

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon May 17, 2010 5:52 pm

I'm slightly worried about giving dogs bones since Buddy fractured her bottom two canines while chewing one which then required having them extracted. I really like the idea of bones for keeping them stimulated on rainy days and for keeping their teeth clean but am leery since then.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon May 17, 2010 6:45 pm

Raw meaty bones here as well.

I generally only feed edible bones though, not giant, weight bearing bones (worried about fractured teeth).

Pork neck and beef neck bones are good :)

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue May 18, 2010 5:38 am

I just got some really nice beef rib bones, they were soft, didn't last long, but were nice snacks. Lamb necks are nice, and baby goat legs are good chew toys that last a bit. I like marrow bones, Bio has become the master of sucking the marrow out in record breaking time. lol. Have you ever tried the Merrick Cow Hooves? They seem to last a long time.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue May 18, 2010 6:17 am

ProudMommy77 wrote:I just got some really nice beef rib bones, they were soft, didn't last long, but were nice snacks. Lamb necks are nice, and baby goat legs are good chew toys that last a bit. I like marrow bones, Bio has become the master of sucking the marrow out in record breaking time. lol. Have you ever tried the Merrick Cow Hooves? They seem to last a long time.

I would be very careful about using those hooves. I gave one to each of my dog and TWO NIGHTS later Buddy started vomiting up pieces of hoof...sharp, potentially dangerous pieces. Just monitor your kids carefully with these types of chews!

pumpkinpunk
Matured Bully

Postby pumpkinpunk » Tue May 18, 2010 11:25 am

WackyJacki wrote:Raw meaty bones here as well.

I generally only feed edible bones though, not giant, weight bearing bones (worried about fractured teeth).

Pork neck and beef neck bones are good :)

I recently started in with raw bones. Obi (mini dach) loves chicken feet, while Chance just carries it around then leaves it on the floor, he is not interested in it at all unless he wants to play keep away. Are the bones in pork neck, beef neck, chicken neck, and turkey neck edible as well? I just wasn't sure how I felt about it since I wasn't sure I've just been doing marrow bones supervised as Chance is vivacious with them and as someone said I worry about broken teeth. The bones in the chicken feet do really well with Obi though.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue May 18, 2010 12:09 pm

I've used the knuckle bones(raw) for my dogs - they are mostly cartalidge. I tried the ox tails, but most of those are just the right size to get stuck in the dogs' throat(not fun). I 've been using chicken necks for their raw food, but I think there's too much meat and not enough bone in them - so I'm switching to chicken feet. :)

I've bought beef ribs for the dogs, but some of them are pretty short and can easily go down the throat. I think it just depends on how the butcher cuts them that day.

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Tue May 18, 2010 12:09 pm

I am mean and paranoid...so no "bones" here per say. Bruno likes a nylabone and we do have one medium sized plain white leg bone thing...but he isn't so in to it.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue May 18, 2010 12:11 pm

brunomom wrote:I am mean and paranoid....

roflmao

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue May 18, 2010 1:05 pm

Just as a note to remember when weighing the benefits and risks all bones or chew toys are dangerous. A teammates 1 yr old lab just died on Sunday from ingesting both a nylabone, a tennis ball and possibly a part of a raw hide. He vomited and refused to eat then by the time they cut him open his intestines were in knots and the vet could not successfully untangle them before he died sadly.

If you own a "gulping" dog nothing is safe. Luckily for me my dogs chew and spit usually but with raw meaty bones I know they are meant to naturally digest much more likely than plastics.

I do think unmonitored chewing of any sort can be very dangerous and we don't even leave kongs in crates here usually.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue May 18, 2010 1:08 pm

Adrianne wrote:Just as a note to remember when weighing the benefits and risks all bones or chew toys are dangerous. A teammates 1 yr old lab just died on Sunday from ingesting both a nylabone, a tennis ball and possibly a part of a raw hide. He vomited and refused to eat then by the time they cut him open his intestines were in knots and the vet could not successfully untangle them before he died sadly.

If you own a "gulping" dog nothing is safe. Luckily for me my dogs chew and spit usually but with raw meaty bones I know they are meant to naturally digest much more likely than plastics.

I do think unmonitored chewing of any sort can be very dangerous and we don't even leave kongs in crates here usually.

x2

Fiona choked on a tiny piece of kibble once (thankfully it popped out after about 15 secs!)

Just supervise all chewing time and know your dog and their habits. *shrug*

I'll stick to RMBs. My 4yr old Boston's formally nasty teeth now look like puppy teeth... no brushing, no dentals, ever. I will have to try and get a pic!

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:19 pm

Chicken feet are awesome to feed, I wanted to add, that feeding a goat head, cow head, deer head, lol, is also a great chew toy, and it does last. The nice thing is, you can just pop back in the freezer, and save it for another day. A good jaw work out, and a good brain work out, kill two birds with one stone..lol.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue May 18, 2010 4:30 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote:Chicken feet are awesome to feed, I wanted to add, that feeding a goat head, cow head, deer head, lol, is also a great chew toy, and it does last. The nice thing is, you can just pop back in the freezer, and save it for another day. A good jaw work out, and a good brain work out, kill two birds with one stone..lol.

Haha I have a lamb's head in the freezer that has been a good chew on multiple occassions :headbang:

Return to “Health Issues”