bones..

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: bones..

Postby kaytenmags » Tue May 18, 2010 4:40 pm

WackyJacki wrote:
ProudMommy77 wrote:Chicken feet are awesome to feed, I wanted to add, that feeding a goat head, cow head, deer head, lol, is also a great chew toy, and it does last. The nice thing is, you can just pop back in the freezer, and save it for another day. A good jaw work out, and a good brain work out, kill two birds with one stone...

Haha I have a lamb's head in the freezer that has been a good chew on multiple occassions :headbang:

this thread makes me feel so much better about the pigs head in my freezer. almost makes me seem "normal" lol

pumpkinpunk
Matured Bully

Postby pumpkinpunk » Wed May 19, 2010 10:38 am

kaytenmags wrote:
WackyJacki wrote:
ProudMommy77 wrote:Chicken feet are awesome to feed, I wanted to add, that feeding a goat head, cow head, deer head, lol, is also a great chew toy, and it does last. The nice thing is, you can just pop back in the freezer, and save it for another day. A good jaw work out, and a good brain work out, kill two birds with one stone...

Haha I have a lamb's head in the freezer that has been a good chew on multiple occassions :headbang:

this thread makes me feel so much better about the pigs head in my freezer. almost makes me seem "normal" lol

I feel weird.. I'm jealous of your animal heads in your freezers. Where do you buy them? My super 88 doesn't have any of those things and thats where I usually get my RMB's and organs.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Wed May 19, 2010 11:03 am

i get pigs heads from a local asian market.
they're only $4.99 each!!

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:10 am

lol..I don't buy them either..lol..people give them to me, so when there is some butchering going on, they know to save the heads, the legs, and anything else that is considered waste for me. do you belong to any raw feeding list, you can put word on there that you are in search of heads.

Oh my Kaytenmags, that is a good price, and no your not weird at all....your just a dog person..lol.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed May 19, 2010 11:20 am

Tell me more about the chicken feet. (I can't believe I'm saying this-so grossed out).

We feed kibble, but as treats I'd like to start giving our dogs more natural things. I like the idea of chicken feet because in my mind there's not ewwy gooey grossness.

They are bones-yes, get that.
They still have the skin on them-yes, get that.

But do they still have the claws/nails?
Do the dogs (those of you who give chicken feet) chew them or just try to swallow them?
Do they make a mess?
What nutritious benefits do they offer? Protein?

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Wed May 19, 2010 11:49 am

jamielvsaustin wrote:But do they still have the claws/nails?

yes.
jamielvsaustin wrote:Do the dogs (those of you who give chicken feet) chew them or just try to swallow them?

maggie chews them for a bit, then swallows them. but she's the kind of dog that tries to swallow anything that's smaller than her head.
jamielvsaustin wrote:Do they make a mess?

no.
jamielvsaustin wrote:What nutritious benefits do they offer? Protein?

yes, protein. they are also great for cleaning teeth, and are a natural source of glucosamine.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed May 19, 2010 12:01 pm

:hug: thanks Kay!

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed May 19, 2010 12:20 pm

Chicken feet are good nomz, but for Stella they are more like one swallow lol

However, for little Fiona, they last a bit longer!

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Wed May 19, 2010 12:24 pm

I've always wanted to buy animal heads, they're always so cheap at the asian market!

Maybelle always throughly chews her chicken feet then swallows. It's really clean and easy :)

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed May 19, 2010 12:43 pm

I think I'm really going to try it. I just first have to find a place that sells them. There's a Thai place (market) around the corner from my work, I wonder if they'd have them. And there's a local meat market, but I haven't been in a long time so I could check there too.

Trooper is the one I'm worried about. Sometimes he can grab the smallest cat toy, hold it between his paws and just disembowel it. Little piece by little piece. Other times he does this think where he's chewing on something and puts his head back. So far everything has been too big to choke him...but I'd imagine chicken feet are just the right size for freaking mommy out.

Bailey is the kind of dog that really only plays with a few toys...and most of them she won't touch if someone isn't around. And she's kind of like that with food too. Both Austin and I were surprised last night when she asked for, took, and ate a piece of lettuce while he was making a salad. Most times she'll ask for it and not take it. Or she'll take it, but not eat it.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Wed May 19, 2010 12:54 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:Trooper is the one I'm worried about. Sometimes he can grab the smallest cat toy, hold it between his paws and just disembowel it. Little piece by little piece. Other times he does this think where he's chewing on something and puts his head back. So far everything has been too big to choke him...but I'd imagine chicken feet are just the right size for freaking mommy out.

maggie swallows everything whole. i try to feed her things that are either A) bigger than her head, or B)ground/cut up small enough to safely be inhaled. chicken quarters are the smallest thing she gets whole. she got drumsticks once. yeah, ONCE because she swallows them whole. same with chicken necks, they're perfect throat shape.

the chicken feet we don't seem to have an issue with, because i freeze them first. she gets them frozen, and because the toes are splayed, she can't swallow it whole. she's forced to chew it a bit before it goes down, and that's good enough for me!

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed May 19, 2010 3:08 pm

MMMMM Chicken Feet

They're great for joints as well I read :)

Charlie282
Newborn Bully

Postby Charlie282 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:28 pm

This thread is awesome. I have ot buy kibble on the way home and in the same shopping center there is a giant Asian Foods store. I've never been so excited to go sit in traffic.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed May 19, 2010 3:36 pm

We had a foster dog that would lay down and hold the chicken foot between her feet, toes up. Then she'd slowly nibble off all of the toes. Then she'd crunch up the rest of the foot.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed May 19, 2010 3:45 pm

Adrianne wrote: A teammates 1 yr old lab just died on Sunday from ingesting both a nylabone, a tennis ball and possibly a part of a raw hide. He vomited and refused to eat then by the time they cut him open his intestines were in knots and the vet could not successfully untangle them before he died sadly.

OMG - I just caught this. What a horrible tragedy! Please give Lianne my love. They are in our thoughts.

Return to “Health Issues”