allergies and staph infections oh joy...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
porchcricket13
Super Bully

allergies and staph infections oh joy...

Postby porchcricket13 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:41 am

So i'm not really looking for advice per se...just people to help me cope lol

Both Jd and Maya are on antibiotics for the next 3 weeks at least, and benadryl long term. I can't afford atopica, and don't want to start steroids...they both have allergies, and have developed secondary staph infections.

I want to do a food trial with them, however, I just spent 160 bucks on 4 30lb bags of food for them...and still have 3 bags left. I know that most people would just say screw the food and buy new....I just don't have that option. When I am able, are there any mid range cost suggestions of what to try them on?

They also both get a lot of rawhide, they really won't chew much else...and I know that on a food trial thats a no no...any suggestions?

I feel awful for both of them right now :( Jd seems more miserable...I actually never see Maya scratching or licking herself so it was weird for me to see hairloss and scabbing...

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Re: allergies and staph infections oh joy...

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue May 18, 2010 5:35 am

I have no help on the food trial thing. But, have you considered raw feeding? If you are interested, I can give you a list of suppliers around the New York/ New England area, their prices are very good. good luck.

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Tue May 18, 2010 6:10 am

I totally understand the need to help cope. It's rough. Some days will be great and then all of a sudden it will get bad again. Just hang in there....remember that it's a trial and error thing. If you are interested, I can share with you my ''system" of battling both of those issues. I dont' want to give you advice if you aren't really wanting it. We are finally at a place that we aren't doing antibiotics for the infections and that is great because I got him in December on those meds and we just went off them 2 weeks ago.

Oh...chewing options: I use the plain no fuss nylabone. and a bleached leg bone. that seems to be the best choices for Bruno.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue May 18, 2010 6:28 am

I wouldn't stress too much on the food thing...while a good diet supports good skin health, especially one with omegas, only about 10% of allergies are food related. Your puppers ae probably suffering from envirnomental allergies which can be much trickier to diagnose and treat. If your guys are young and you can afford to, I always recommend doing some allergy testing to narrow down exactly what the allergies are and then you know how to start managing, treating and avoiding. Some things (grass or dust mite allergies!) are infuriating but if it is a matter of being able to plan for when your kids are going to flare up. And allregy serum injections are wonderful if you can afford them. A friend of mine had a cat who, not kidding, was allergic to cat dander. The serum injections exposed him little by little to the allergens until his immune system was able to cope. Now he's fine! And not naked!

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Tue May 18, 2010 7:19 am

i'm sorry that totally came out wrong lol...advice is great :) I just meant I didn't have a very specific question. It is very frustrating...this is Jds 2nd staph infection in 3 months...and Mayas first ever. Jd is 2 1/2 and Maya is 16 months. She had pyoderma with her first heat but that went away on it's own...at a year she started losing hair but there were no oozing lesions so I was more concerned it was an endocrine issue. I had the vet look at her and we determined it was allergies. I'm not really financially able to get into allergy testing right now, hopefully I will be able to with them sooner rather than later, but now that it's both of them that will be even more difficult.

It sounds crazy but I don't know if I could do the raw thing. I am a vegetarian myself and don't particularly like the idea...when it's needed I can deal with the chicken and rice thing...but past that i'm just not sure lol.

I totally understand what they are going through though, I have skin that is allergic to just about everything. I have an environmental allergy that shows up every spring, so i'm dealing with it now myself. We are just a house full of itchiness atm lol

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue May 18, 2010 10:41 am

I totally feel where you are coming from - we were right there a little less than 5 years ago!

I'm so thankful for Dr. Jenny Taylor and Dr. Anne Williams at Creature Comfort. We brought them a red, itchy, nasty smelling dog with a heart condition back in the day. You'd never know it now!

You can add some fresh foods to thier menu! Try adding some canned salmon or salmon oil, also vitamin C helps boost immune systems and can help thier bodies try to find an equillibrium (sp). Try a good probiotic as well!

This site has some good resources. Many think about a home-cooked meal once or twice a week?
http://www.dogaware.com/diet/homemade.html

Also, if possible switch out any scented or harsh household products you are using. If their skin is irritated and trying to flush out toxins, laying on a bed that's been washed with all sorts of scented products can be causing more irritation.

Good luck!

**Full disclosure that we are dealing with occasional red spots because of the season AND the couscous/graham crackers Franny got into recently. But no staph infections, no yeast infections and very little general irritation.

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Wed May 19, 2010 4:16 am

Peanut is eating Blue Buffalo Organics. It was really hard to find last summer so we bought her Caster & Pollux Organix.

The six weeks she was eating that she had 3 different staff infections - on her tail, then her ears, then her belly.

Two weeks after we switched her back to her Blue Buffalo, her coat was shiny again (it had gotten rough and dull) and she hasn't had a staph infection since.

Unfortunately they quit making her BB Organic ... so after we run out we are going to have to start all over again looking for new food.

Can you take the new food back? Some places will let you do that.

I never did figure out why Peanut does so much better on this food but I suspect it's something they put in the BB that she wasn't getting in the C&P.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:25 am

Just hang in there... allergies are sooooo frustrating.

The best bang for your buck (prednisone not included) is fish oil. I do 1,000 mg a day for anything under 50 pounds, and 2,000 for anything over. Just watch for diarrhea as you get started, but the fish oil helps my pups as much as the benadryl does.

Also, if benadryl doesn't cut it, keep trying antihistamines until you find one that works. Chlorpheniramine and Zyrtec can also be used safely in dogs. Ask your vet for dosages.

dickybird
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dickybird » Wed May 19, 2010 11:50 am

I've been dealing with my dogs allergies for many years now. We've done the steriods and she's gotten a liver infection twice now from being on them so we now have to treat her holistically only.

I have found that Zyrtec works better than Benadryl and is safe to use in dogs according to my vet. My 60 lb dog can have one pill every 12 hours. It's cheap at Costco if you get their brand it's only $15.95 for 365 pills.

I've also just put Muay on this homeopathic remedy and it is starting to work and give her some relief:

http://www.nativeremedies.com/petalive/allergyitchease-cats-dogs-skin-allergies.html

I would really suggest stopping the raw hides all together, not only are they not great for your dogs but if they are beef they could be a source of allergy problems.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Wed May 19, 2010 10:34 pm

I know atopica is expensive, but it might end up being a lot cheaper than endless testing, food trials, raw feeding, etc. Perhaps your vet or pharmacy can help you get a better price than the online pharmacies Missikiwwi warned about. Online, it seems to be about 4.83 each for 100 mg tablets. Yep, at nearly $5 a day, that's not cheap.

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Tue May 25, 2010 1:55 am

ugh, I had subscribed to this thread...but it's not showing up in my emails....

right now i'm focused on getting them over their staph infections, which seem to be improving. I really am concerned it will happen again though...The food I have them on is high in Omega fatty acids...both 3 and 6...so I don't know if I should consider adding more.

The vet suggested I wash them twice a week with ketochlor shampoo, but I feel like thats way too often and will just cause more itching...

I also don't know what to give them if rawhide isn't an option. They won't chew anything that isn't edible, and everything else i've tried lasts less that 5 min with them...

They seem to be doing ok with the benadryl, but if I notice it's not working I will definitely try zyrtec. I was told to try claritin, is the zyrtec better?

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Tue May 25, 2010 1:48 pm

Have you tried antlers?

Rachel&Halo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Rachel&Halo » Wed May 26, 2010 1:45 am

I have yet to give Halo Zyrtec - Benadryl (Antihistamine H1 blocker) works well for her allergies. Give Zyrtec a try. Claritin is an H2 blocker. I'm not an expert on these things but I read antihistamine H2 blockers are not as effective as H1 blockers. Have you looked into Atarax or Tavist?

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat May 29, 2010 7:31 pm

I feel your pain...I had a good handle on Khan's allergies, but things have been on again off again bad for a while now :sad: It can get SO frustrating.

As far as bath's my vet recommends bathing once a week(that was also recommended by a dermatologist) I use a mild allergy shampoo and rotate chlorexiderm.

Return to “Health Issues”