Pics of raw fed dog teeth

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Pics of raw fed dog teeth

Postby WackyJacki » Wed May 19, 2010 12:11 pm

Talking about raw bones, dental health, ect. I thought I would take some pics of Fiona's teeth.

Before she was two she had to be put on antibiotics for bleeding gums/mild infection. She had quite a bit of plaque build up, red, irritated gums, etc. Brachycephalic breeds, like Bostons, are notorious for bad teeth. Their teeth are crowded and make for a great place for bacteria to fester.

Started her on raw a little over a year ago. She is now a little over 4 yrs old and while she has some slight discoloration from old build up, she has no plaque and no "doggy breath". Her gums are nice and pink and no longer irritated. I never brush her teeth and she has never had a dental. Just raw feeding!

Sorry they are a bit blurry, she wouldn't sit still lol

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Pics of raw fed dog teeth

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Wed May 19, 2010 12:25 pm

Beautiful!

Maybelle's teeth are a lot cleaner too! I'd take pictures if I could, but the change is amazing. :thumbsup:

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed May 19, 2010 12:33 pm

KittyNyanNyan wrote:Beautiful!

Maybelle's teeth are a lot cleaner too! I'd take pictures if I could, but the change is amazing. :thumbsup:

I took "before" pics but I can't find them! :sad:

The change is pretty amazing.

Semper Bull
Matured Bully

Postby Semper Bull » Wed May 19, 2010 2:04 pm

Raw really does wonders for teeth. I periodically feed my ferrets and dogs raw to keep their teeth in good condition. Now I have to convince the cat that raw is yummy.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Wed May 19, 2010 4:29 pm

We got a good raw checkup on last vet visit - she said there was some staining but NO tartar!!! woo hoo

spammie

Postby spammie » Wed May 19, 2010 4:57 pm

They're so sparkly :thumbsup:

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed May 19, 2010 5:20 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:We got a good raw checkup on last vet visit - she said there was some staining but NO tartar!!! woo hoo

:nana:

Meaghan Edwards
Addicted to PBF

Postby Meaghan Edwards » Wed May 19, 2010 5:41 pm

I feed my girls raw 1x a week for now since March and I've already seen an improvement in my old girl's teeth (my younger dog has always had white teeth). Soon as I get a pic, I'll put 'em up. :thumbsup:

RhysMom
Newborn Bully

Postby RhysMom » Fri May 21, 2010 4:33 pm

Rhys always got compliments from the vet on his teeth, but I always bought knuckle bones (and more recently soup bones) for him to chew. I'm really trying to figure out how to make raw work, I really want to switch him to raw. Stupid money...

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri May 21, 2010 5:22 pm

They're quite sparkly, but the teeth are also very worn...how much of those canines are going to be left when she's 14 if they're so worn already at 4??

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri May 21, 2010 5:30 pm

We had a full exam when Fran was under general on April 1st. Dr. Taylor was very happy with her teeth and they didn't need cleaning at all.

There was some wearing but most of that was from her former life chewing on rocks in a backyard - plus she likes to kill the occasional jolly ball.

I am bummed that both Hank and Pete prefer to chew in a certain pattern which has resulted in a little gunk in a couple of spots on their teeth that requires brushing but they look a heck of a lot better than other dogs.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri May 21, 2010 5:42 pm

FransterDoo wrote:We had a full exam when Fran was under general on April 1st. Dr. Taylor was very happy with her teeth and they didn't need cleaning at all.

There was some wearing but most of that was from her former life chewing on rocks in a backyard - plus she likes to kill the occasional jolly ball.

I am bummed that both Hank and Pete prefer to chew in a certain pattern which has resulted in a little gunk in a couple of spots on their teeth that requires brushing but they look a heck of a lot better than other dogs.

Anything is better than nothing, thats for sure!!

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sat May 22, 2010 11:10 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:They're quite sparkly, but the teeth are also very worn...how much of those canines are going to be left when she's 14 if they're so worn already at 4??

Her canines have always looked like that, even before raw feeding *shrug*

She actually rarely uses her canines when eating. They almost exclusively use the back teeth for crunch/rip/swallow action ;)

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Wed May 26, 2010 5:24 pm

Her teeth look GREAT! Zee's canines are stained but her back teeth look fantastic. We started Cricket on raw right away, I am hoping because she is on raw from the start that her teeth don't get stained like Zilas are.
We had a boxer that was fed kibble all his life and rarely given bones and by the time he died his canines were worn to the nubs, could it be that snub nosed dogs teeth wear faster???

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed May 26, 2010 5:30 pm

WackyJacki wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:They're quite sparkly, but the teeth are also very worn...how much of those canines are going to be left when she's 14 if they're so worn already at 4??

Her canines have always looked like that, even before raw feeding *shrug*

She actually rarely uses her canines when eating. They almost exclusively use the back teeth for crunch/rip/swallow action ;)

Yup. I was watching the pupsters eat the other day and it was facinating. They all used their back teeth to grind at the meat and would only use canines to rip little pieces off to create a flaip or to swallow a ground up piece.

Return to “Health Issues”