No raw fed dogs for Delta Society

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Semper Bull
Matured Bully

No raw fed dogs for Delta Society

Postby Semper Bull » Wed May 19, 2010 1:48 pm

Link:http://www.deltasociety.org/Page.aspx?pid=638 I understand the reasoning that a raw fed dog could lead to an infection with an immune compromised individual, but don't kibble fed dogs also have the possibility of shedding pathogenic bacteria?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: No raw fed dogs for Delta Society

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:53 pm

Yes, they do...

But raw fed dogs have been shown to shed pathogenic bacteria 33% of the time... vs. kibble fed dogs that shed 10% of the time...

Raw fed dogs just plain have a higher exposure to pathogenic bacteria...

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri May 21, 2010 10:23 am

Hey Semperbull...

Christie Keith over at PetConnection just did a good piece on this:

http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2010/ ... et-debate/

But does the Delta Society, which has fought so hard to get access for therapy dogs to people in hospitals and nursing homes, really want to go down this path? Selectively counting cooties in the dogs’ poop?

Do they honestly believe a living creature, let alone one that regularly licks its own butt, is ever going to be sterile?

And linked to one of her other article that I really enjoy:

http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2008/ ... p-in-food/

So I was somewhat amused when I went to the Western Veterinary Conference in February and heard one of the conference speakers, who worked for one of the big pet food companies, address her fellow veterinarians on the subject of raw diets.
...<snip>...In fact, this vet said that even when you wash the dishes used to prepare your dog’s raw dinner in a dishwasher set on sanitize, even if you wash them in bleach and hot, soapy water, they still have measurable levels of bacterial contamination on them after washing. Even the glass or stainless steel dishes.

So I was listening to this, and watching the hundreds of vets in attendance nodding their heads and taking notes, and I wanted to stand up and say, “Does the dish somehow know that raw meat is destined for my dog’s stomach and not my oven? Because what about the bowl I used to mix my meatloaf? What about whipping up eggs in a bowl before I scramble them? What about marinating chicken breasts? How am I supposed to make my own dinner, if what you’re saying is true?”

Semper Bull
Matured Bully

Postby Semper Bull » Fri May 21, 2010 4:25 pm

Thanks for those statistics and articles. It confirms what I was thinking; i.e. all dogs could shed bacteria.

Return to “Health Issues”