First Vet Visit...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
NYRgal25
Newborn Bully

First Vet Visit...

Postby NYRgal25 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:06 pm

Although it wont be for another month or so, I will be adopting my new pup, Sirrus! I haven't owned a dog in quite a few years so I'm not sure what they need as far as shots, vaccinations and flea prevention. He is coming from a rescue and will have all his shots, but what should I do for his 6 month or yearly checkup? I've read that some vets like to push vaccines on people, so I don't want to be naive going in there. In all my research the past few months I feel like this information wasn't in any book! Sorry for my silly questions :)

Thanks everyone!!

Kara

NYRgal25
Newborn Bully

Re: First Vet Visit...

Postby NYRgal25 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:25 am

Anyone??

Thanks!

mnmh
Newborn Bully

Postby mnmh » Thu May 27, 2010 2:10 pm

Congratulations on your pup! I adopted my Abby last summer. She was 10-12 weeks old and had gotten her first round of shots at the shelter. I took her to the vet about a week after I adopted her for a little check up, she got to meet the staff there, etc. A coule weeks later she got a second round of shots, another month later she got a third and final round of shots. She was spayed when she was about 6 months. She's due in August for her annual exam. She is on Interceptor worm prevention (once a month) and K9-Advantix for flea, tick, mosquitos. I have researched and talked to other dog owners about over vaccinating and I'm going to discuss this with my vet in August. I don't know if I helped you or not, but that is how it went with Abby. :)

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu May 27, 2010 2:26 pm

The rescue you get your dog from should provide paperwork saying what shots she's already received. Make an appointment right away with your vet, they're going to want a baseline for your dog. A starting point. Based on the information given to you from the Rescue, they'll know what shots she'll need and when. (sorry, can't help you there, but there is a vet on this board and hopefully she'll chime in).

We're with Banfield Pet Hospital. We pay a monthly amount every month, whether we take the dogs in or not. We have two dogs and two cats, the most recent addition was the cat and his plan covered his neutering. You can purchase different plans that offer different levels of discounts. They send us postcards to remind us of upcoming appointments and we've found that they are easy to work with (and love our dogs-they actually remember them-I like that). When we go in for things other than the regular check ups, vaccines and such we don't pay an office visit fee. Any care, tests, medicine, procedure, etc that's done while we're there on a non scheduled (through them) visit we pay for-but at a discounted price.

You'll most likely need heartworm preventative and flea medication every month. It depends on where you live and what the temperatures are. Sometimes it gets cold enough that you can forgo giving the meds. We personally give it year round. The weather can sometimes be unpredictable in Florida.

Make sure whatever vet you go to you like. I think that is very important. You'll feel better about going when you have to, you'll be more likely to listen to the information...everything.

There is a Banfield Pet Hospital that we would not bring our dogs to. Family members have had horrible experiences with them. So don't go based on the name of the vet, but the people working there.

And finally, as soon as you get your new addition, it is required by PBF law to post pictures.

Yeah, it's in the rules, read it. :))
(kidding)

Return to “Health Issues”